Where Did Baby Sleep?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did baby sleep with you or in a crib? 

My first born became colicy at 2 wks old where he would cry - non-stop for 4 hrs.  He would start at 11pm and fall asleep at 3am.  My husband worked so I was left to console and attempt to dance him to sleep.  If he fell asleep, and I put him down, he woke and cried.  It was not an option because we were close quarters and my DH needed sleep. After 3 nights of attempting to put him down, I was exhausted, I fell asleep with him in my arms in our bed and after the end of that week, this was our routine.  He slept with us in peace for a year.  When we had our daughter, I didn't even bother trying the crib.  She slept with us from the beginning.  No colic either. 

Where did baby sleep in your house?

My wife, Reija and I are big fans of co-sleeping.  All of our children have slept with us, even as an infant.  We bought this huge "eastern king" bed.  It's super wide.  My wife absolutely refused to allow our kids to become sleep trained and would want to hold them 24hrs/day.  Commendable. In fact, we never even owned a crib and we have three kids. Our daughter who is 4 still will come in after 3am sometimes just to cuddle.  Our 7 month old sleeps right next to her with a humanity bed. We always asked ourselves, how many 17 year old's still sleep with their parents?  Check out this thread here, it's a dandy. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

Same as Tony, only we did own a crib. Don't they make great toy bins? ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> LOL! I got a crib with my first, but when he was born I couldn't put him in it. I had to have him near me, and for night nursing it just made more sense. We got rid of it when he needed a bed, and never replaced it with the two kids that followed.

All of our kids now sleep in their own beds and are good sleepers. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OMG, Leticia, you sounds just like my wife :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">  Love you for being like that, both of you. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same as Tony, only we did own a crib. Don't they make great toy bins? ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20"> LOL! I got a crib with my first, but when he was born I couldn't put him in it. I had to have him near me, and for night nursing it just made more sense. We got rid of it when he needed a bed, and never replaced it with the two kids that followed.

All of our kids now sleep in their own beds and are good sleepers. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

Thanks Tony. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Reija is lucky to have your support. Co-sleeping is a very unpopular concept with many people. I had my husband's support all the way, and it really helps you let the naysayer's opinions just roll off your back and throw your trust into your mothering instincts.

Yes it really does help to have your hubby's support and I'm grateful! Thanks Tony!!!! There are many men who wouldn't "allow" it but I also know of women who have said they wouldn't be able sleep with a baby or they wouldn't get any sleep. But they can sleep with their dog in the bed. Go figure. 

Originally Posted by Reija /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes it really does help to have your hubby's support and I'm grateful! Thanks Tony!!!! There are many men who wouldn't "allow" it but I also know of women who have said they wouldn't be able sleep with a baby or they wouldn't get any sleep. But they can sleep with their dog in the bed. Go figure. 
I got way more sleep than I would have if he slept in a crib.  My son wanted to be fed every 1/2hr for a 1/2 hour!  It was easy when he was in the same bed, I didn't have to get up.  My husband was in complete agreement that our children were safest sleeping with us and they and we slept best.  Mothers naturally assume a sleep position that shelters the baby. 

People at his work were giving him advise against it, saying it will affect their independence.  I asked if their children were members of MENSA.  I said if they were, I'll be at there door with a notepad and paper.  If they were ordinary, they can go away.  I can raise my own ordinary kids without trying.

We're co-sleepers! When Ilo gets older we'll transition him to a big boy bed. It makes breastfeeding MUCH easier and having him near makes all of us less anxious at night.

My daughter either sleeps in her crib, in bed with me only for like an hour or two when she wakes up or she sleeps in her swing. Shes a lil over 9 months so I know she wont be able to sleep in her swing for much longer but its hard when Im asleep and get wokin up in the middle of the night cuz shes awake cuz shes either cold or hot so Ill lay her in bed with me and when she falls asleep I put her back in her crib or in her swing. I still have my bed in her room and so ill either sleep in there or with my boyfriend.

We bed share and will continue to for as long as she is willing. I love being able to snuggle her throughout the night.

She sleeps in her little swing and is most comfortable with that. When she's at my parent's house, she sleeps in her bassinet. I really didn't want her to get comfortable sleeping with me, so it's very rare that it happens. If she's having a rough night and crying a lot, then I'll have her sleep with me for the sake of getting some sleep myself. Lol.​

My daughter slept in her bassinet from the day she came home til she was about 4 months old. After that she slept in her own crib in her own room.

She is an awesome sleeper and has slept through the night wonderfully since she was born.

I'm a huge fan of the "family bed". My son slept with my husband and I for the first two years. After that, my husband felt it was time for our son to sleep in his own bed. I was not so supportive of that idea, so I'd say my son slept with us about half the time.

Finally, he was in his own bed by the time he was 3 or so.

I loved having him sleep beside me, and it was so easy to breast feed him in bed rather than having to get up in the middle of the night .

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I loved having him sleep beside me, and it was so easy to breast feed him in bed rather than having to get up in the middle of the night .

That's one of my favorite 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Brittany Marie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My daughter slept in her bassinet from the day she came home til she was about 4 months old. After that she slept in her own crib in her own room.

She is an awesome sleeper and has slept through the night wonderfully since she was born.
Amazing!  This only could have happened if there was some sort of sleep training involved.  Did you make her cry it out in her bassinet or crib so she would get used to it?  When they are first born, they have such small stomachs and need to be fed often.

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a huge fan of the "family bed". My son slept with my husband and I for the first two years. After that, my husband felt it was time for our son to sleep in his own bed. I was not so supportive of that idea, so I'd say my son slept with us about half the time.

Finally, he was in his own bed by the time he was 3 or so.

Yes, this is exactly what goes on in my house today with our 8 month old.  The only thing different is that I am supportive of the idea.  I have to admit, though, it was a learning experience for me with our first. I got used to it and actually started enjoying the cuddling etc..

Originally Posted by Johnnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's one of my favorite 
smile.gif

me too!

My girls both slept in a crib with no problems!! My son on the other hand is very attached to mama!! He still comes in to my bed! and he just turned 5!!  He wouldnt even lay in his crib for me to change him or just to lay there!! he screamed bloody murder. After mama getting no sleep for months trying to get him to sleep I said forget it and put him in my bed! He was out and slept 8 to 12 hours! He did that untill he was about 3 1/2. as he gets older the trips to my bed have gotten less often!

Me and my wife get use to let my kid to sleep with us. This is an amazing experience one should not miss. I have experienced for the first

time in my life time and i don't want to miss this.I strongly suggest one should enjoy all these happy moments.

Originally Posted by Tony-admin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Amazing!  This only could have happened if there was some sort of sleep training involved.  Did you make her cry it out in her bassinet or crib so she would get used to it?  When they are first born, they have such small stomachs and need to be fed often.
Nope, I never EVER let her cry it out. Her bassinet was beside our bed so when it came time to feed I could easily reach in and grab her. When she moved into her crib (in her own room) I only had to get up 2x or so to breastfeed.

I did the program called Hypnobabies and I attribute my daughter's calm manner (and smarts!) to this program.

We planned on having our baby boy sleep in our bedroom, but in his crib. That did not work out at all. I ended up having an unexpected c-section so it was really hard for me to sit up/get up from our bed and get our baby in the middle of the night to breastfeed. Seriously, getting up with a c-section was so painful and it took me so long. I just decided to bring him into bed with us and it was so much easier. Now, he is 6 months old and still co-sleeping. I wouldn't have it any other way!!

My daughter slept in my bed till she was 5 or so.

We had a really hard time getting her into her room, but there were other circumstances attributing to it.

I loved having her in bed with me, I felt as if she were safer there.

Back