Should I have my daughters ears pierced??

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have a question ladies and (gents). I wanna get my daughters ears pierced she's 10 months old and a lot of ppl thinks she's a boy even when she's wearing PINK and I've been wanting to do it for a while now. So basically who here has their daughters ears pierced and at what age did u get them pierced???

It's your decision, but I'd say so. Most babies can look like either gender when little, so I wouldn't feel bad about that. I got mine pierced at a few months old, so it wouldn't be risky or anything like that. Plus, I think little baby girls look so cute with pink stud earrings.

I know culturally some people do it on babies, but personally I think its wrong. Piercings are permanent, and should be a choice for the child. My daughter had hers done at 4. She begged me for a long time to get it done, so we did it for her birthday. We went over care and cleaning, how it would feel to get it pierced, etc. It was her choice. As a baby you are doing it for the mother's vanity only IMO.

I don't see what the big deal is that people mistake her for a boy. My youngest was mistaken for a girl quite a bit. Someone even told me he was too pretty to be a boy lol! Some people just don't pay attention. If you do it, don't be shocked that some people will still think she's a boy.

^^^ What are your concerns? I would suggest just making sure it's a reputable piercer. I believe the requirements are three months and up and you have to have your immunizations up to date. Most babies just cry for a few minutes and I believe you can put benzocaine on the ears for pain.

A couple of my aunts had their girls' ears pierced just after they came home from the hospital.  I also have friends that have had their babies done as infants.  I personally think its a little young and unnecessary.  If you are just tired of telling strangers that you have a daughter then you're just catering to idiots that are not tactful  to ask the right way.   I usually go with 'Oh how cute!   What's your baby's name?  or How old is your baby?'   The mother usually volunteers the answer with a she is 8mos old or his name is Jason.  

My daughter was bald for 2 years because her hair was so fine.  I just put a little head band on her when she was really small and dresses when she got older.  At 5, she asked to get her ears pierced for her birthday.  I thought I was going to have an anxiety attack while waiting for the people to pierce her ears.  I also made sure that it was at a location where there were 2 people and that they can simultaneously pierce her ears. 

I had mine done at a very young age. There is nothing wrong with it in my eyes, and I think babies look super cute. And if you get them done young then they will probably never close up. I never wear earings and I can put some in whenever I feel like it without any problems.

If your piercing is not in cartilage and is old enough, they don't usually close up.  I have an ear piercing from when I was 19  (23 year old piercing) and it doesn't close. 

Im scared of her crying and being in pain and finding someone whose good at piercing babies ears. And no its not to cater the ppl who thinks she's a boy I've been wanting to get them done for a while but my boyfriend didn't want to til now. Id have my friend come w keep her company. She doesn't really pull on her ears that much nemore. So im jus anxious about the initial reaction and if shed get an infection.

I was terrified that my daughter would get all freaked out and want to run out so I went to someplace where there were 2 people and they pierced both ears at the same time.  She just flinched a little but she was ok.  I was 6 when my mom took us to get our ears pierced (my sister was 4). 

Yea I think that when it does happen Ill try and find a place that I trust where they will do that so that she doesnt have to experience it 2x.

I agree 100% with Internetchick. It's unnecessary and not a choice your child has made her own. It is her body after all....if she ever wants them she should be able to make that decision herself.

So I think we've decided to wait until she's older and can decide for herself if she wants them pierced or not.

My daughter just turned 4 a month ago, and she has asked a few times to get hers pierced.  I'm a little apprehensive--I want to do it, but I don't want to.  What I did do though, the first time that she asked, I took her to the mall and had her watch someone get their ears pierced.  It just so happened that the person we ended up watching was a baby that was, I think about 6 months or so.  The baby cried for a minute and then was done.  When they were finished, I asked my daughter if she was sure she still wanted it done, and she said yes.  I'm sure we will do it soon, but like I said, I'm still a little hesitant...I mean, we've never even had her hair cut either--it reaches her butt LOL.

Ok well I guess its still up in the air so I guess we'll just take it one day at time and see it hows if we still want to or if were gonna wait til she gets older and so that she can decide for herself.

I had a friend that pierced her son's ear, before he turned one. I think she thought it would be cool as there was nothing cultural about her decision.

I wasn't impressed with her decision but she was quite proud of herself.

I believe that the child should have some say as to whether they get their ears pierced - it is their body after all, isn't it?

With regard to infections - yes, babies and toddlers can get infections in the piercings. If you have any doubts, contact your local emergency room and ask the hospital staff how many little ones come in to get ear infections treated. I think you will be surprised at the number.

i dont know exact age i got my ears pierced. i think it was around 3 years old.

apparantly i kept screaming to get my ears pierced lol.

but it hurt so much that it took two different days to get each side pierced haha.

in my opinion, i think you should wait until she asks for her ears pierced.

dont get them pierced because people think shes a boy.

she could keep touching them when she first gets them and it could hurt more and get infected..

I'm another person who disagrees with piercing at a young age. I think that once she's in school, if she wants to get them pierced it's up to her. Besides you don't want the hassle of turning the earrings/infections etc.

So my vote is don't do it.

o_O 

Both of my daughters had their ears pierced at 1 year old, no infections ever. If you decide that you want to do it, Give her a little infant pain reliever first, its not as big a deal as some make it. 

I got my ears pierced at 13.  It wasn't bad, but i regret it now.  I'm allergic to metal, even gold, so I can't even wear my wedding ring. 

My ears swell only 30 minutes after putting in earrings and they stay painful for a whole day.  I also had a tooth capped about 12 years ago and the inner portion of the crown was silver or some metal and the outer part was ceramic. I had to have it replaced after I kept getting mysteriously ill for a whole summer.

Latest posts

Back