Makeup for women over 50

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Whats a good kind of foundation for women over 50?  Should women over 50 still use powder?  Seems like every eyeshadow out there is the sparkley kind.  Who makes some matte eyeshadows for us women over 50?

I am not over 50 yet, but here is my opinion:

I would use a primer to help smooth out the skin's surface, and then use a lightweight foundation or tinted moisturizer. I think powder is OK used with a light hand.

I don't think over 50s need to give up shimmer. You might try using it just on your tear duct and the center of your lid if you are worried about highlighting lines. Stila makes nice mattes, and so does Urban Decay. I hear very good things about MAC's Matte2 formula.

I agree!

You might wanna check out "gossmakeupartist" (Wayne Goss) on Youtube, he´s a professional makeup artist and has stated the majority of his clients are women your age. He does a few videos specifically on makeup application on mature skin, the model he´s using could be right around 50. And there´s also Lisa Eldrige on Youtube, also a professional who does some very good videos along these lines.

In terms of eye shadow brands, I´d check out MAC, Bobbi Brown, Chanel and Dior. And I think I´d go for a satin formula (with a tiny hint of soft shimmer) instead of a truly matte color for the lid (I think mattes can sometimes look a bit dry, which is something you don´t want on mature skin that already has wrinkles). In the crease, a matte shadow probably looks best.

I am 46 and still have oily skin. I choose make up based on my oily skin, rather than rules.

I like Revlon Colorstay foundation and Revlon Concealer.

Make sure these are well blended.

I use a powder blush - cream blush looks greasy on me.

Stay away from powder - especially around the eyes or any area that you see obvious wrinkles.

Use a dark brown eye liner rather than black.

Stay away from glitter eye makeup - very aging!

It's ok to highlight just under brows and inner corner of eyes with a soft shimmer colour like pink or vanilla.

Use pink or mauve lipstick - stay away from anything dark!

Or just use a gloss instead.

My sister-in-law who is in her early 60's and has great skin.  She wears Elizabeth Arden cream makeup.  It looks really smooth and nice on her.  I have never worn a cream makeup.  Any luck with those? 

Also I have never heard of a primer.  I was looking at them recently and I got so overwhelmed and confused with what to get.  How do you know what shade to get? 

IOkay...I am so not with it when it comes to makeup!!!  What is a matte makeup?  Right now I've been using Almay liquid makeup and Almay powder.  I have sensitive skin.  I had tried Mary Kay years ago and broke out like crazy.  The same with Merle Norman. 

I know what you mean.  I'm trying to figure out these new products as well.  I was a flight attendant for year and wore makeup but haven't had a job where I really needed to 'fix' up.

Primers are the best.  My favorite is Smashbox.  As far as foundation, I mix this and that and try it out.  It's fun and takes the 'boring' out of having the same look.  I often take two different brands, liquid, cream,  or whatever and mix it with some moisturizer on the back of my hand.  The moisturizer let's you put the right amount on - you can build more or sponge it off if you have too much.  One thing I never use is powder.  I never have.

One good rule of thumb is what looked good on you when you were younger, still looks good today but maybe in a more muted tone.  If neutral/brown tones did nothing to bring out the beauty when you were a teenager, it won't today.  I had a mental problem for a while in that I thought I was too old to wear colors.  I saw some photos and I looked dead!  I can't wear pale lipstick - deadlady lips for me. 

Let your natural beauty shine and put on whatever you want.

If matte is your preference then I'd go for MAC, Revlon, Chanel and Estee Lauder. Unless you're dark skinned I agree with the poster who suggested brown rather than black eyeliner, I'm 19 and it sometimes makes me look tired!  Softly highlighting the brown bone and tear duct will make your eyes look brighter and younger, as long as its not overdone. I suggest MAC's vanilla, which is my favourite highlight colour.

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am not over 50 yet, but here is my opinion:

I would use a primer to help smooth out the skin's surface, and then use a lightweight foundation or tinted moisturizer. I think powder is OK used with a light hand.

I don't think over 50s need to give up shimmer. You might try using it just on your tear duct and the center of your lid if you are worried about highlighting lines. Stila makes nice mattes, and so does Urban Decay. I hear very good things about MAC's Matte2 formula.
Eye shadows with "shimmer" truly enhance our "experience lines" -- seemed like it was overnight (not probable, but it was an ah-hah! moment for me)  MAC cosmetics makes a wide variety of mat finishes, but I'm learning more that those of us over fifty should search out cream eye shadows -- a first for me and am just beginning my search on this forum

Back