President Obama on the defeat of the DREAM Act

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a solution for the 18/19 year olds born in another country and raised in the US,

have them serve the US in some military capacity for three years. After that, they can become US citizens.

This would allow them to get a US citizenship and keep the military stock with more recruits.

Hell, there a hundreds of thousands of US 18+ year olds that couldn't care less about serving their country - just want to reap the rewards of those that do serve.

This bill isn't meant for those people, this bill is meant for children that were brought over here without a choice, and who have fallen in love with being an American citizen.

I am extremely against illegal immigration, but think that those who wish to better their lives should be given the opportunity to try and do so.

Reminds me of Starship Troopers... you get to be Citizen if you serve in the Corp.  It makes sense tho. 

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a solution for the 18/19 year olds born in another country and raised in the US,

have them serve the US in some military capacity for three years. After that, they can become US citizens.

This would allow them to get a US citizenship and keep the military stock with more recruits.

Hell, there a hundreds of thousands of US 18+ year olds that couldn't care less about serving their country - just want to reap the rewards of those that do serve.

Originally Posted by cutepandobear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This bill isn't meant for those people, this bill is meant for children that were brought over here without a choice, and who have fallen in love with being an American citizen.
I thought that the Bill was meant for the children brought over - once they are 18+

I think that every individual raised in the US, but not as a citizen, should give to the US, such as serving the military - not just reap the rewards of the US without giving something in return.

When the Vietnam war was occuring, people from other countries that wanted to fight for the US were allowed to do so - assuming they were medically fit.

After they served their tour of duty - they were allowed to live in the US and become American citizens.

I know of a few Canadians and one Irishman that did just that.

Yes, that's what I meant.

I also agree, in some sense, that citizenship shouldn't be too easy to get.

I believe that denying children who were raised as Americans the right to try and become a legal American is wrong.

Latest posts

Back