Manuka Honey

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have heard so much about Manuka Honey and how great it is for the skin... Has anyone used this on their face? Would like more info from you all before I decide to try this... Also what is the best way to use it?

I would like to precise for those who don't know manuka honey that manuka honey comes from a tree named manuka, it's not a bees' honey :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Manuka honey is supposed to be a fantastic ingredient, but i have very rarely seen it on a label, i have found only one brand, named Skinfood. I have tried Skinfood's face cleanser/makeup remover with manuka honey. It's the most gentle face cleanser i've used. I wished it was more easily available in my country. I also used their light moisturizer, which is very good too. Here's the link to Skinfood's website.

I don't know how i would use it pure. I guess i would first try to eat it (lol), then i'd probably do a face mask (we have an entire thread of homemade recipes for masks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ), then i'd try to incorporate it in a skincare recipe. I would apply it pure on my lips for example, i heard honey helps injuries heal faster and better.

Honey - Applying honey for 10-15 min. on the face before washing off with lukewarm water , keeps the skin supple & fresh looking.

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would like to precise for those who don't know manuka honey that manuka honey comes from a tree named manuka, it's not a bees' honey :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Manuka honey is supposed to be a fantastic ingredient, but i have very rarely seen it on a label, i have found only one brand, named Skinfood. I have tried Skinfood's face cleanser/makeup remover with manuka honey. It's the most gentle face cleanser i've used. I wished it was more easily available in my country. I also used their light moisturizer, which is very good too. Here's the link to Skinfood's website.

I don't know how i would use it pure. I guess i would first try to eat it (lol), then i'd probably do a face mask (we have an entire thread of homemade recipes for masks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ), then i'd try to incorporate it in a skincare recipe. I would apply it pure on my lips for example, i heard honey helps injuries heal faster and better.
Hello! Actually Manuka honey IS made by bees! It is made by bees who collect the nectar of Manuka and Kanuka trees in New Zealand. Just like you sometimes hear the term "clover honey" for honey where the bees are feeding primarily from the nectar of the clover flower.

Honey in general is a great humectant, drawing moisture to the skin. That makes it a great skincare ingredient! Manuka honey is particular in that the antibacterial properties of the Manuka tree are present in the honey, and add to any skin benefits that pure honey would have. I believe there are different grades, that contain different amounts of Manuka.

I found this link that explains in detail about the properties of manuka honey and how it's made: http://www.manukahoneyproperties.com/

You can apply honey directly to the face and then wash it off, or you can mix it with any variety of good skincare ingredients like oatmeal or an oil like olive oil. As soon as honey is mixed with another ingredient, it should be used and then discarded and not kept to use again--we don't want it to grow nasty mold or bacteria!

A dear friend of mine uses Manuka honey for health benefits and swears by it.  During flu season her entire family will take a teaspoon of honey daily and they remain flu-free.  I think that given it's healing properties it might be a great natural product for the skin. 

I love the use of honey in your beauty regime,

Have a look at a recent post in my blog:

*edited by mod*

[SIZE=large]....Two daily spoon full of (manuka) honey boosts your immune system and fight fatigue and is great when you have a soar throat or feel a cold coming up. Because of its unique antibacterial properties you can even use it on small wounds. In New Zealand and now also by the NHS extensive studies have been done to the health benefits of honey and in many hospitals honey is now being used for wounds that don't react to antibiotics.[/SIZE]
Just that you know, the darker the honey the stronger the anti-oxidant effect

[SIZE=large]This is all lovely but how can you use all the goodness of honey in your beauty regime?[/SIZE]
Lots of big brands are already using honey as a main ingredient in their products, think of Burt's bees, MAC, Jo Malone, Lush, Benefit and many more.But your own cupboards can be a good inspiration as well!

[SIZE=large]A great facial mask you make by mixing, 2 tbl spoons of slightly warmed honey with 1 tbl spoon of yogurt and 1/2 a teaspoon of olive oil.[/SIZE]
The honey works antiseptic and antibacterial while the yogurt gently exfoliates and cleanses. The olive oil moisturizes your skin. You can add an egg yolk if you want the mask to be more creamy.
Apply the mask to clean skin and leave it on for about 15minutes before you wash it of with lukewarm water.

Add 2 tb spoons of honey to your bath for a nourished skin.
Or mix sugar,honey and a little olive oil for a soft but thorough body scrub.

Do you have dry hair? Adding honey in with any hair conditioner can increase the efficiency of the conditioning product, allowing it to better penetrate into the hair shaft to both moisturize and soften it...

good luck!!

x

Hester

Back