What is your secret for smooth lips?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently (FINALLY) figured out how to keep my lips from being dry and flaky, which if left untreated, is VERY dry and flaky.

Basically, I use Carmex every. single. day. All day long. But even that's not enough. So every few days, I do a good scrub with a mixture of brown sugar and olive oil, and then slather them with Vaseline. Cheap, and effective!

Any other ladies out there with dry lips who have some tips they like to use?

I use that same method as well, but instead of the vaseline, I use a touch of olive oil after I scrub.  Works wonders and my lips feel amazing.

Try using something with butters (shea is very popular and most common in moisturising products) and waxes like candelilla or beeswax. These provide a good, deep moisture for dry lips. Anything with vaseline/petrolatum/paraffinum liquidum won't provide deep moisture so it's a vicious circle that makes you reapply often. My first trick is to ban this ingredient for those i mentioned which do a better job at moisturising my chapped lips. Sanoflore and Nuxe make pot lipbalms that are very effective and long lasting, but for day i use stick lipbalms, Lavera and Logona make very good ones, but the cheapest lipbalms i found are Burt's Bees lipbalms (especially the honey lipbalm, the original formula imo has too much of peppermint essential oil).

then i also scrub like you mentioned, with brown sugar. I tried with baking soda but i prefer the sugar. You can use your toothbrush and rinse it well after.

oh and I was told that carmex is one of those products that works wonders when you use it, but when you first start using it, you need more and more and more...so you're basically constantly applying it to keep the effects.

I bought some Aquafor recently after looking through the forums and people mentioning it's a great product.  I've only tried it for a few days yet so I don't know about the long term results (and I've been testing out a couple other lip products so it might be messing with results)...I've only been putting it on at night before I go to bed though.  It kind of feels exactly like applying vaseline on so I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet.  I was expecting something more balmy I guess?

Aquafor is wonderful.

I used it constantly when I was on Accutane - it was the only product that saved my lips.

I still use Aquafor occasionally, or just plain old Vaseline.

I wasn't either until I recently bought their new Mango butter lip balm. It makes my lips so smooth! This is my go to lip balm now. I also love their new tinted lip balms. They are very moisturizing. 

Originally Posted by kayleigh83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've never been a big fan of Burt's Bees, it honestly does nothing for my lips.

Bloated medicated lip conditioner. It has SPF 15, it comes as a lip balm in a small 7g jar.

Originally Posted by Annelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh and I was told that carmex is one of those products that works wonders when you use it, but when you first start using it, you need more and more and more...so you're basically constantly applying it to keep the effects.

I bought some Aquafor recently after looking through the forums and people mentioning it's a great product.  I've only tried it for a few days yet so I don't know about the long term results (and I've been testing out a couple other lip products so it might be messing with results)...I've only been putting it on at night before I go to bed though.  It kind of feels exactly like applying vaseline on so I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet.  I was expecting something more balmy I guess?

Precisely because it doesn't sink in, so if you have moderately dry lips, it's a good product, for the dry to the point of cracked lips, that's really not the best product.

Got to love that brown sugar and oil scrub. I am really into my EOS balm right now, summer fruit smells heavenly. I have the dryest lips, it is awful.

LUSH Bubble Gum lip scrub. I'm sure the rest of the lip scrubs are great too, but IMHO, that one smells the best. The Body Shop Lip Butter rubbed in with a Q-Tip, left overnight. Caudalie Lip Treatment throughout the day, as needed. I actually love Carmex (albeit, in the EZ-On tube.) I use it in the AM after I've put on makeup (again, massaged in with Q-Tip) and it gets rid of any dead skin, or excess foundation/TM that might've gotten onto my lips. Anymore than once a day, and it's way too drying for me...

I use the Lush lip scrub and then cover my lips with some aquaphor....it does wonders!

I use almond oil for my lips at night (and for the eyes area too) and sometimes I use a cream that I have from Oriflame have a cream "The little box of wonders" or something like that.

I have always gone with regular ol' chapstick, but my lips are not the softest so I'll have to try some of these suggestions. thanks gals

Originally Posted by kayleigh83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I recently (FINALLY) figured out how to keep my lips from being dry and flaky, which if left untreated, is VERY dry and flaky.

Basically, I use Carmex every. single. day. All day long. But even that's not enough. So every few days, I do a good scrub with a mixture of brown sugar and olive oil, and then slather them with Vaseline. Cheap, and effective!

Any other ladies out there with dry lips who have some tips they like to use?

I am not sure which Carmex product you use, but the one I have has salicylic acid in it ( which is found in many acne treatments) is very drying. I bought the wrong Carmex I think, but the one I have (maybe the same as yours) should be saved mostly for cold sores and breakouts on and around the lips.

I use: Vasanti Conquer 3 in1, its a lip balm with a bit of shine and its super moisturizing and its amazing over lipsticks (and to remove lipstick).

I also have use Burts Bee's, the pomegranate oil one, because it is a completely natural formula without any drying agents I am aware of.

The trick I find is: scrubbing lips with any exfoliant, the brown sugar trick is great, and then applying an all natural balm/butter/serum/ whatever you can find that is void of any drying agents.

I bought a cheap little $20 vibrating toothbrush and scrub my lips nice and well with that. This will give you instant results. After you do this, they are so soft! Then I follow that up with some MAC Lip Conditioner or lip balm.

Rosebud salve from Sephora is great for everything as the directions show on the back it works on blemishes, burns. chapped lips, and diapir rash!! It also comes in a large 2" diameter container holding about three chap sticks so you don't have to restock as often!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

the only thing that works for me dring winter is carmex but i'm concerned about overusing it. It is meant for cold sores so am not sure if it is a good idea to use it everyday.

My secret for smooth lips the cooler, dryer winter months can zap moisture from your lips and skin, so it’s important to replenish what is lost. Lip conditioning is another key to supple lips. Choose moisturizing lip treatments that contain healing and protective ingredients like natural oils, beeswax and sunscreen; while avoiding drying elements like menthol, heavy waxes and parabens.Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back