cheap but good foundation

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for a cheap Liquid foundation that is light feeling but good coverage...I was wondering about NYX HD foundation? Any good...I have to buy multiples since I'm getting into make up artistry which is why  need a cheap foundation ...also is there a powder foundation that is cheap and recommended?

Right now I'm loving Rimmel 25 Hour foundation.  Full coverage and long lasting.  My color is Classic Beige.

Jeannine

If they're not too dry (I find it sticks to flakes) Revlon PR. Maybelline FIT me has a really wide range, too.

NYX HD Foundation will give you the light feel and staying power that you're looking for.  Alot of people put it up against MUFE HD Foundation and they're really impressed.  It's lighter than the Revlon Colorstay if that gives you an idea.  It's also good if your client is planning on a photo shoot.  As for the powder foundation, my all time favorite that I use all the time is Laura Geller's Balance and Brighten.  However, since you're looking at a cheaper version, I would recommend Maybelline PureStay.  It'll last for hours.  And one more thing you might want to add which is cheap and EVERYONE loves is ELF HD Powder.  It's a finishing powder that will give your client an absolutely flawless finish.  Hope this helps!!!

If you're getting into makeup artistry, I might suggest not going for just cheap, as you don't want to end up getting a bad reputation right off the bat if your products don't hold up to the standards that people have when they get a professional make over done.  You want your clients to be impressed by what you're doing to them, not for them to feel like you grabbed the cheapest things you could find!

(Not to say that all cheap makeup is bad, but if you're going to try to make a name for yourself, look at quality first, then try to find a reasonable price, not at cost first then hoping for the best!)

Thanks ladies...No I don't want just cheap...I want afforadble but good makeup, is that too much to ask ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> lol ...all this really helps! I'm learning lots of new things right now, thanks for all the help!

Online, but also: Graftobian & Face Atelier. I think Shinto also has concealer/foundation palettes.

I've used revlon colorstay for photoshoots as well.  I haven't tried the NYX HD but I got a new bottle of MUFE HD during the black friday or christmas sale so I probably won't be buying a new liquid for my own photoshoots for a while (I just do my own makeup for my own shoots so I haven't built up foundation for use on others yet -- i haven't gotten to the point of figuring out which makeup I'm willing to part with LOL)

Originally Posted by scrapali /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi all, I'm looking for a cheap Liquid foundation that is light feeling but good coverage...I was wondering about NYX HD foundation? Any good...I have to buy multiples since I'm getting into make up artistry which is why  need a cheap foundation ...also is there a powder foundation that is cheap and recommended?
L'oreal True Match I love it covers and feels very nice on the skin 

True MAtch powder also ;D

Revlon Photo Ready is my favorite foundation.  I'm in love with the great coverage, and luminess but natural finish it gives me.  It's like magic.  It's about 10-13 bucks usually, but I just got a new bottle at walgreens for 40% off plus they had all revlon products for BOGO.  PLUS they had bonus packages so I got the foundation with a brush and the photoready powder with a blush attached all for about the price of the foundation alone.  I would also recommend the Revlon colorstay for when someone needs a heavier coverage that needs to last a long time.  It's just a little to heavy for me for every day. 

I really go by maybelline dream matte mousse, its cheap and gives a nice matte finish. I've heard good things about True Match too, and I saw that brand (both foundations and powders) for $7 each at walmart. Obviously, I've heard good things about Revlon Colorstay too, so that might be a good bet as far as quality goes.

Here's the thing about foundations...Everyone you work on will have a different skin type/skin issue. HD formulas are the way to go for any serious MUA, and Make Up For Ever/SMASHBOX are standouts in this category.

Stay away from gimicky products like 'mousse'. They offer no real benefit or coverage. Also, don't invest in 'mineral' products with Talc. (It casts a grey hue on skin) 
sadno.gif

Try CoverGirl or Merle Norman foundation with an HD primer underneath until you can afford the prestige MUFEs.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Back