Black Lipstick

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My favorite black lipsticks include:

-Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick in "50"

-Urban Decay Lipstick in "Oil Slick"

-Illamasqua Lipstick in "Pristine"

Black lipstick is a tentative, yet very audacious lipstick shade. It is also very bold and dramatic.

Do you wear black lipstick? If so, what is your favorite black lipstick? If no, would you ever consider wearing it?

Discuss.

I think it can look awesome with muted eyes with a pop of color, but unfortunately my lips are too thin for it. I don't even wear brights/reds :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't think I've ever seen a woman with black lipstick that it looks good on.   I know this was big on the runways recently.

Is this a goth thing?

I know of several goths that will not wear it, however; I know of several that do. A lot of goths (or individuals that identify as "goth") that I do know prefer red over black. I also know some glam rockers that enjoy black lipstick, but also are notorious for loving red even more so. Black, is a very audacious, yet daring shade, so it isn't something to wear on a normal basis or often, but was created for a reason. 

I agree. I tried it in the past, it's not that i can't rock it, but i think red looks better when i want a bold lip.

I wore it for Halloween last year and although it suited the occasion it's not something I would usually wear.

It actually made my teeth look quite yellow in the photos and my teeth are not yellow... but then again it was just a crappy cheap lipstick from the fancy dress shop so maybe that had something to do with it?

So we've mentioned three groups of people who will wear it  Glam Rockers  (I've seen Lady Gaga - not her best look & Marilyn Manson),   Models on the runways (at least this year) and Halloween.  I just don't think its going to last.

@topic:  I'm a dark autumn and even I can't wear black lipstick. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It is definitely really not flattering on me. So unfortunately, I have to say that I really agree that black lips don't seem to suit most people, including people who normally look good in shades.

Also, I used to be a goth when I was younger and I can confirm the fact that I always greatly preferred red lipstick over black or dark purple. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I wore it once a long time ago for Halloween but that's about it.  I can't even pull off reds let alone a black. 

Women with very dark skin can pull it off.  Actually I think the black looks better than reds/pinks if the natural skin is very dark, because the lips tend to be naturally darker then too.

(Yes I know she's a model, but these looks don't necessarily look like "runway couture looks"):

The black looks a lot better and a lot more natural looking on her than the red, imho.

Originally Posted by Annelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Women with very dark skin can pull it off.  Actually I think the black looks better than reds/pinks if the natural skin is very dark, because the lips tend to be naturally darker then too.

(Yes I know she's a model, but these looks don't necessarily look like "runway couture looks"):

The black looks a lot better and a lot more natural looking on her than the red, imho.

You're right! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  She definitely suits black a lot! It looks fabulous on her!

I could rock a black lip easy! And definitely agree, it wears better on darker skin.

I've recently discovered MAC black lipmix. OMG, LOVE!!! I used to use Wet n Wild's black that comes out at Halloween, but that thing was way too sheer.

I am much too pale to get away with bold black lips, I would look dead! But Rock on to the girls who can :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i could never wear black, but i love dark reds on me. i purchased a dark plum color awhile ago, i'm still waiting for an occasion to wear it...

i recreated an alex wek look with black lipstick :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  loved it!

IMG_6316.JPG

IMG_6307.JPG

and i have the video to that look tutorial here: 

(am i allowed to put the link to the video?  i wasn't sure if that was acceptable....i can delete if not!)

I was never brave enough to try black lipstick....would try it out someday though.

I have worn black lipstick many, many years ago. But I'm not sure how I would pull that off, as far as the rest of the look. The closest I think I'll get is my darkish purply shades, like Sephora Crush or NYC Mahogany.

I have OCC lip tars and one is black. But as we all know, it's meant for tinting.  I would try it out at home just to see what it looks like on me, but I would never wear it out, except for Halloween. I didn't even wear black lipstick to the Ozzy Osborne concert! I'm pale with blond hair/blue eyes. I can't tan, I insta-burn! lol I went for a bold and bright red with black smokey eyes. I agree that women of color look good/better with the black lips. The pic of the model with the bold black lips rocked it hard! But I am going to have to pass. I'll stick to tinting.
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm even a little too scared to go out with a bold red.  Black is out of the question for me!  However, I do think it suits darker skin very nicely!  I admire the boldness of it!

Latest posts

Back