Real MAC or FAKE MAC???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone so I came across a person who sells MAC makeup, I know that the makeup is fake. I was wondering has anyone ever bought fake MAC lipgloss or lipstick. If you have used both fake and real how do they differ? Do you like it even though its not real MAC?

I haven't bought the fake but let me tell you, I'm tempted!  I see it all over Ebay for amazing prices.  I'll be interested to hear what those who have bought fake think of it. 

I bought pigments that are copies I guess you can say. The pigments are very good surprisingly, I still think the original MAC are a little better. I do not recommend getting any copies of the MAC glitter pigments because honestly you will get a jar filled with glitter that can be used for art projects. I am very tempted to get the foundation, lipstick, and lipgloss. I want to compare the copies to the original. If the quality is very similar or the same I think I will give up on spending a lot of $$$$$ on just one lipstick or lipgloss. 

The original one is the with the silver label on it that says Old Gold. If there are numbers instead of names on the pigments or any other makeup claiming to be the original MAC then its honestly not. 

I almost got a "lot" of 12 Dazzleglass last week.  I just couldn't pull the trigger.  Now I'm kinda wishing I had.  You're right, if it's pretty close at half the price, why not???? I'm all for saving a buck these days......

I have purchased both authentic and fake MAC products from Ebay.  I have to honestly say that there really isn't a difference! Still very pigmented and applies and blends nicely. What's wrong with that? NOTHING! You get to save your money for more products!! The thing that you have to worry about with fake MAC is making sure that the sender is trustworthy enough to actually send your order! You don't need to worry about the quality of the product, it really can pass for real, in my experience. I've saved lots of money and I have lots of products. (most are authentic tho).

I'm confused... when you say "fake" MAC, do you mean knock off?  Or is it that its actual MAC products in a small container (i.e. sample size). 

If its a knock off, how do you know if the make up is safe?

It's one thing to buy fake brands for clothing and accessories, but I would be worried about putting something on my face and find out its not hygenic (feel free to use your imagination). 

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm confused... when you say "fake" MAC, do you mean knock off?  Or is it that its actual MAC products in a small container (i.e. sample size). 

If its a knock off, how do you know if the make up is safe?

It's one thing to buy fake brands for clothing and accessories, but I would be worried about putting something on my face and find out its not hygenic (feel free to use your imagination). 
Usually in terms of buying off ebay or such, fake MAC means that it's not really MAC in container nor product. You buy it believing that you'll get MAC, and you receive a fake instead.  Because you don't even know who made it, you won't know if it's safe, clean, or good quality.  (Think trick-or-treating and getting a Snickers bar vs getting some homemade chocolate covered sweet from a stranger...you really have no idea if it'll taste any good or if it's even safe to eat.)

Any fake MAC i've received, I've swatched on me first to see the reaction.  I wouldn't just put anything on my face.  I do care about myself and my skin. I'm speaking only from my own experience.  Each person's could be different.  But there are people that are allergic to real MAC, such as my mom.  She's allergic to all shadows that have red or pink in them.  She's fine with lip products and blushes, but not shadows from any brand, including MAC, Clinique, etc., that has either pink or red in them.  To be safe, swatch any and all makeup before you apply it to your face.  Anyone could be allergic to or have a reaction to any brand of makeup.

Good point Desire, I didn't think of it like that.  I have bad reactions to mineral foundations.  It would have been much less painful to have the reaction on my arm instead of my face!

I bought two fake MAC lipglosses from someone who lives near me just because I liked the colour and didn't think lipgloss would cause much harm.

One was a pale baby pink with a slight shimmer, the other was a bronze colour again with a slight shimmer.

The pink is nice, the colour is lovely on and I use it a lot. The bronze on the other hand is terrible, it dosn't apply to the lips properly.. I don't know how I can explain it, it just comes on sort of patchy.. for a gloss? its weird.

I probably wouldn't buy them again and wouldn't buy any sort of foundations/creams from this women but I think it depends where you get the products too.

There will be some places which sell better quality makeup (even though it's fake) then others.

I have heard the fake MAC makeup from beingsale.com is good although I have never bought any from them. But they are quite open about their products, they are honest and tell you that the product isn't real MAC but they claim to use the same ingrediants... I don't know I guess the only way to find out is to try it?

Against my advice, my daughter purchased 4 MAC eyeliners which I'm pretty certain are fakes.  She ordered them online so we'll see what they really look like once they get here. 

Originally Posted by MakeupofDesire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any fake MAC i've received, I've swatched on me first to see the reaction.  I wouldn't just put anything on my face.  I do care about myself and my skin. I'm speaking only from my own experience.  Each person's could be different.  But there are people that are allergic to real MAC, such as my mom.  She's allergic to all shadows that have red or pink in them.  She's fine with lip products and blushes, but not shadows from any brand, including MAC, Clinique, etc., that has either pink or red in them.  To be safe, swatch any and all makeup before you apply it to your face.  Anyone could be allergic to or have a reaction to any brand of makeup.

That's a good call. I didn't even think of that. I've had bad reactions to some makeup, most recently one of the BE Lip Plumpers. They warned me that it was going to tingle a little bit, but my lips started burning, and after giving it a little bit of time, I just gave up and started wiping it off and rinsing it out and it took forever to stop! Ugh, I hate allergies. I learned the hard way several times that calling something "hypoallergenic" isn't always accurate haha

My daughters "MAC" eyeliners came today.  TOTAL FAKE!  They glide like a no.2 pencil.  She's learned her lesson so it's all good 
thumbsup2.gif

Poor thing! That bites that she was ripped off. It would be one thing if she could at least use them. Sounds like theyre not even useable.

Thanks for the info ladies I was perusing the 200 color eyeshadow pallette for some time now and feel a bit sheepish thinking I'd save a mint and still get the real thing on ebay!! ^-^

Originally Posted by jeanarick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Poor thing! That bites that she was ripped off. It would be one thing if she could at least use them. Sounds like theyre not even useable.

Totally unusable.  She left them just sitting on the kitchen counter 
frown.gif
  I feel really bad that she got ripped off so tomorrow, I'm taking her to MAC and treating her to a "real" MAC eyeliner.  

Latest posts

Back