Does Turmeric helps Acne?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi there, i was just reading about acne reamedies and somebody wrote that turmeric can help in removing acne... has anybody tried it...if yes..what amount of poweder or doze should be...is there any side effects of this treatment?

Turmeric helped me a lot when I had ulcer... About acne, without prejudices, urinoterapia helped me verry much. I didn't know then about turmeric, and I was desperate... 

[SIZE=10pt]Turmeric [/SIZE]has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and soothing properties. It is one such substance which has all the above mentioned properties. Therefore, there's no doubt that turmeric is good for acne. The combination of milk and turmeric is superb to get rid of acne.

I have never tried it, by fear of the yellow stain turmeric could leave on my face. I supposed it's to be tried at least once.

Turmeric has been shown to help improve acne in studies, especially inflammatory or cystic acne (the large inflamed acne). Amberlily naturals sells a turmeric mask that doesn't stain your skin. It really works!

Turmeric is a home remedy in my culture (Vietnamese). Though, we normally use it to ease the effect of scarring. My mom always has turmeric powder around the house even now that I'm in my late 20s. In fact, I fell off my bike the other day and got some really bad cuts. She's been applying the turmeric paste on my knee and it's helped tremendously. I don't know if it helps to heal faster but definitely no scars for me. So, I don't know if turmeric actually helps with acne but I know a lot of Vietnamese people who use turmeric to reduce the scarring which is caused by acne. It is really affective.

There's no side effects. The only thing is turmeric is very yellow. If you buy the powder, it's easier to apply and wipe off the yellow colored residue. However, it's not as effective as buying fresh turmeric. The fresh turmeric actually has a dark red-yellowish color. It's almost orange. When you apply the fresh turmeric paste, the color stain stays a lot longer. So, when you apply, you might want to do it over the weekend or whenever you don't have to be seen. The stain is kind of hard to wash off initially. It takes a few days to fade.

Quote: Originally Posted by missjenny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  hi there, i was just reading about acne reamedies and somebody wrote that turmeric can help in removing acne... has anybody tried it...if yes..what amount of poweder or doze should be...is there any side effects of this treatment?
I've been using a turmeric mask 2X a week for a few months and I haven't experienced any side effects. if you start using it and run into issues, you should definitely stop and consult a health professional, but as far as I'm aware (I'm by no means an expert) you should be fine. 

I've been using a tumeric mask daily for about a month now and I found that it clears acne, with no side effects. I no longer have that pesky dry skin around my chin, and controls the oil around my nose and forehead. I mix tumeric, gram flour and plain greek yogurt together and apply on my face with my hands but I use a facial brush to work the mask into my pores. I have to store the mask in the fridge and it lasts about a week. My skin is oily and acne prone and im in my early 30's! This stuff works but be sure to use a astringent afterwards to remove any residue. I also make sure to wash EVERY night to prevent new pimples. I can often skip washing in the morning though, just rinsing with water is good sometimes. Finding the right cleanser for your skin is difficult for my sensitive,oily, and acne prone skin. Going the DIY way seems to work well for me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Turmeric is a best home remedy for acne even you can use it both internally and topically. The best part is that if you are not getting result then you don't have to worry for any side effects totally antibacterial. Is there anybody heard about dermology acne treatment?? Actually my friend suggests me about these skin care products I want some reviews.

Hello Miss Jenny,

Turmeric helps in acne, but it all depends on the type of skin you have and what suits to your skin. I used turmeric, but it didn't suited my skin and my skin became more dry.

Then i tried Yllume skin products for acne and i got very good results in very less time. So i would also suggest you to try Yllume, as the products are made from natural ingredients and are suitable for all types of skin.

I love making turmeric masks at least one a week, and it keeps my skin clear and gives a beautiful glow. To ensure you don't get a reaction, mix turmeric with a bit of milk (enough to make a paste) and try it on your arm or somewhere other than your face first. Good luck! "Pretty is what you are. Beauty is what you make it."

I mixed turmeric with chickpea (gram) flour, yogurt, honey and rice flour to make a mask, my face felt smooth and soft but not sure about acne results yet :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh and it did NOT stain, due to the addition of flours!

I mix tumeric, gram flour and plain greek yogurt together and apply on my face with my hands but I use a facial brush to work the mask into my pores.
I mixed turmeric with chickpea (gram) flour, yogurt, honey and rice flour to make a mask
I'd really like to help you with this because I suffered with breakouts, from severe to minimal, for a good part of my life. I still deal with hormonal breakouts from time to time, but am able to decrease the severity of them as well as increase the speed at which they heal, with zero scarring. I know the many negative effects acne can have on all aspects of a person functioning on a daily level. This is a pretty long response because I want to share with you several of the things I've learned over the years of trial & error in regards to turmeric in skin care, and just skin care in general. I normally don't give very specific recipes to people because I often sell the products I make, but I will share one with you at the end of this response so you have a good idea of how & where to get started. The above quotes from other people are both really good ideas, good ingredients, but there's more you need to know to obtain the best results possible when using turmeric. The important thing about the yogurt - or any dairy product used on the skin - is to make sure it's full fat, not low fat, & that it's free of gelatin, cornstarch, carageenan etc. You should be seeing nothing but milk/cream & active bacterial cultures listed in the ingredients on any yogurt container. Skim milk, which I've seen incorrectly recommended on the internet many times, isn't going to do you much, if any, good. The turmeric needs a fat of some type to be effective, & your skin needs the fats when using dairy products topically. The other thing that's incredibly important with turmeric, whether using it externally or internally, is using/consuming it with black pepper. This is an absolute must. Black pepper increases the amount of active turmeric compounds your body is able to assimilate by hundreds of times. It makes a massive difference in the results you wind up with. It's like a super-booster for turmeric. Don't worry, it's not as strange as it may sound :) When you're making a turmeric mask, you can very finely grind some whole black peppercorns in a coffee grinder & add that to your mixture. The whole spice retains far more essential oils/active compounds than already ground spice. Always opt for whole spices for best results. Mix in your wet ingredients - like yogurt or even buttermilk - with your dry ingredients & let your mask sit overnight in the fridge to allow everything to begin working together. Give it another good mix in the morning before applying. Another option is to use black pepper essential oil, but unless you've got some experience with EOs, better stick with the whole spice. You should NOT feel any type of burning on your skin. A sensation of warmth on the skin, while or after masking, is perfectly fine. Burning is not. If your mixture is becoming tingly or beginning to burn, you've used too much pepper & will need to adjust the amount of your other ingredients. But don't be afraid of it. The amount you use of either form of the black pepper - whole spice or EO - would depend on the total amount of your base ingredients. An example could be 1/2 tsp very finely ground peppercorns OR 3-4 drops of the essential oil to every cup of already prepared mask mixture, plus approximately 1/2 tsp of dry turmeric. You definitely can use fresh turmeric root, but that isn't available to many people & would also change the overall recipe. It's also an extremely potent root, so it also takes previous experience with this to be working with it. Another important tip: use RAW honey, which you'll get much better results with, not pasteurized. Raw honey can also be dabbed on pimples to facilitate healing & prevent scarring. It's amazing stuff. Apply it at bedtime every night where ever you need to. Your skin does the majority of it's self healing while you sleep. New Zealand exports some incredible, high quality raw honey, so if you can find this in your area you should grab some. Especially raw manuka honey from New Zealand. I buy mine at places like Whole Foods. It IS somewhat more expensive than regular honey, but you're not using it in huge amounts for skin care. And the results are well worth every penny. Another option is to find a honey bee farm in your area & buy raw honey directly from them. This would still be honey that is far superior to regular honey from the supermarket. Those with drier skin can add more honey as it's a natural humectant - as well as being antibacterial, healing & very soothing - plus a couple of tbsp of evening primrose oil to their mask mixture. Oily skinned people can also use evening primrose oil, or even jojoba or hazelnut oils. They will NOT clog your pores or cause breakouts. Total fallacy. Play with your honey & oil ratios to suit your skin, & research plant based carrier oils' properties. There are literally hundreds that are available for all sorts of purposes. You can also choose to use finely ground whole oats or even raw almonds instead of, or in addition to, chickpea or rice flour. Grind the oats to a very soft, fine consistency for a mask, a little more coarse for a scrub. Grind the almonds as much as you like, again depending on the type of product you're formulating. If you're using rice flour, check to make sure it isn't very gritty because that would indicate it's too rough, with sharp edges on the rice particles which can tear your skin. Test it by rubbing some on the inside of your arm. See which ingredient your skin prefers. If it prefers rice flour, go with that, or whichever base ingredient you choose. Make smaller batches to begin with so you can experiment until you get a custom mix that works best for you. It's a good idea to invest in an inexpensive coffee grinder, which will come in handy a lot when making your own skin care products. They're easily available under $20. Oats and/or almonds are great ingredients that will provide moisture for your skin, but which also balance your natural oil production if that's an issue for you. They also act as nice gentle exfoliants in a scrub & leave the skin baby soft after masking. If applying as a mask, you can leave it on overnight & rinse off in the morning. Don't wash your face after this, please. Just remove with a wet, tepid washcloth, then rinse with cool water, followed by an alphahydroxy moisturizer. This will further facilitate healing up any breakouts you may have, as well as help with pigmented scarring. Absolutely no need for a toner after this, which can leave your skin very much stripped of it's natural moisture, especially after masking or scrubs, causing more breakouts. Exactly what you're trying to avoid. Toner will also remove any beneficial residue from your mask ingredients which were left behind. You can also use your custom mixture as a daily cleanser which will leave your skin very clean & balanced, but never stripped or irritated. You have the option of just mixing up all the dry ingredients & store them in the fridge in a ziplock bag (to prevent natural oils from going rancid), adding slightly warm milk or yogurt as needed just before cleansing. This way, your cleanser will never get wasted if it goes bad. I prefer pre-mixing everything, allowing my ingredients to interact with each other while in the fridge. I find this to be most effective. If you ever see any kind of staining on your skin - very unlikely - it's quite easy to remove with some slightly warm hazelnut oil, which is also naturally astringent for oily/breakout prone skin. If a person has dry skin, they could use warmed olive oil to remove staining. Just gently wipe an oil saturated cotton pad over stained areas. It works. And please remember to never microwave any of your ingredients, such as honey, which will destroy a good part of its natural healing properties. If you must liquify a solid or very thick ingredient, best to do it over a bowl of warm water. Sorry for the length of my response, but I did want to give you enough info so you can easily & properly get started with this. Below is the sample mask/scrub recipe I wanted to leave you with. Don't be afraid to play with it, changing ingredients & ratios as you experiment. But please remember, caution with the black pepper. The whole point is to wind up with a product that is tailored to your specific needs. I hope it goes well :) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ * 1 cup finely ground, whole, raw oats (steel cut oats are also ok here) * 1/4 cup finely ground, raw almonds (never roasted or pre-ground) * 4 tbsp chickpea flour or 2 tbsp very finely ground rice flour (or a combo of both) * 2 tbsp raw honey (manuka is great, although significantly more expensive) * 2 1/2 tbsp buttermilk OR full fat yogurt OR full fat milk (goat or cow milk) - must be free of gelatin, cornstarch, carageenan etc (if Greek yogurt, be sure it's the real thing, as most labeled 'Greek' is low quality, artificially thickened junk) * 2 tbsp hazelnut oil or jojoba oil (preferably cold pressed/unrefined) * 3/4 to 1 level tsp turmeric powder (don't bother with the expensive capsules for this, they're incredibly overpriced & pointless) * 1/2 tsp to 3/4 tsp of very finely ground black peppercorns, adjust as necessary (remember you want warmth, NOT a burning sensation; the longer your mask sits in the fridge, the more warmth you will feel when it's applied. This is normal. If necessary, add some more yogurt & oats/hazelnut oil to tone it down, don't throw it out) USAGE: Simply mix it all up by hand really well & store overnight in the fridge in a glass jar before using. If it's a bit too runny, add a tiny bit more oats. Not too much as it will thicken a lot as the liquids absorb. The resulting mix should be thick enough that it's not dripping off your face, but thin enough that you can easily spread it across your skin without it falling off in clumps. The next day, warm some in the palm of your hand before applying. Smooth over dry, unwashed skin - avoiding eyes - using as a cleanser/scrub OR as a mask. This will leave your skin very clean, believe me. If using as a cleanser: after applying to dry, unwashed skin just dampen finger tips and gently massage into your pores for a few minutes. Allow to sit on your face for a few additional minutes. Rinse off with tepid water or damp, tepid washcloth, gently patting dry. Follow immediately with alphahydroxy moisturizer. If using as a mask: apply a thin layer to dry, unwashed skin using circular motions to work into your pores. Let it sit at least 20 minutes or, better, overnight. Remove with a damp, tepid washcloth, gently patting dry. Follow immediately with alphahydroxy moisturizer. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Good luck & feel free to PM me if you have any questions :)

Some Research has shown that turmeric has antibacterial and anti fungal properties. This would help fight acne by killing the P acnes bacteria that causes it. Turmeric Paste is probably the easiest and the most commonly used turmeric-remedy for pimples. All you need is turmeric and water. You can apply this paste to the pimple-affected area and leave it for some time. This will stop the pimple from developing further and cure it really soon. Apply this regularly to get best results. You can also substitute water with honey as honey has antiseptic properties.

Yes, its works really good.My mom use it and get abetter result .Its so good for your skin.you try this. thank you .

If you want your skin to glow with health.Turmeric help in every thing in skincare problem.Turmeric paste used after two days daily when you are going to sleep.Turmeric have many role in health care problem..

yes, turmeric really helps with skin issues because it has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. my mom swears by this stuff.  

I have checked some some websites. As a face mask. Many people simply combine it with yogurt and a bit of honey and apply to their skin for 20 minutes before washing off. Others mix it with a bit of honey and use as a spot treatment for their acne.

Back