My cousin is getting botox at 26!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know this thread may be a bit weird but I just had to share lol. My cousin is 26 (only 6 months younger than me) and just announced that she´s going to start looking for a doctor to get botox injected in her forehead in the next few months.

Now, most people´s first reaction would be - 26, no way that´s too young! But I get why she wants it, I know her appearance is very important to her, and at her age her face is really starting to look harsh and definitely older than normal. We stood in front of a mirror next to each other, and the differences in our faces are shocking.

She´s been a heavy smoker since her teens (1-2 packs a day!), used to frequent tanning beds or lay out in the sun with no SPF on her face at all (she´s got a lot of freckles/sunspots too, even on her eyelids) and has been working as a bartender for years (so that means 2nd hand smoking, late nights and stress). She also naturally does a lot of facial expressions when she talks, that´s why her wrinkles are mostly expression lines because of the way she wrinkles her forehead when she talks and the nasolabial folds from sucking on cigarettes lol

So what does everybody think about this? I think it´s sad that she has been treating her skin & body so badly for years, but if I was in her shoes I´d probably get botox too. It may seem vain to do this, but would you want to have an old face at 26? Her mom has been a heavy smoker since her teens as well, and she has really deep lines at 45, so you know it´ll only get worse for my cousin. Of course I keep telling to her to stop smoking, but you know how that goes when somebody is addicted. At least she recently started wearing SPF on her face daily, so that´s a start.

I think if it was me I´d probably get botox too, even if 26 is just so young to start with all of this. Plus, if you get little amounts of botox when you notice strong expression lines (even if they appear at such a young age, for some even younger than my cousin!) you can keep them at a minimum for many years. Once they´re very deep and have been for years, it seems to be much harder to get them smoothed out again.

The only issue I have with this is that Botox can be addicting as well.  God forbid she gets hooked on an easy fix and wants to get them done regularly. Worse is if she finds a wacko that will inject her with anything and cause perminent problems.

I'm not surprised.  I know lots of people in their late 20s that are into tanning and smoking and their facial skin looks like that of someone in there late 30s.  It's a shame because in our 20s, it's so easy to make improvements in our skin.  We can develop good skin care routines, get facials, peels, and use products that can help firm up areas.  I think botox is a cop out and an easy way to temporarily fix things.  What's she gonna do when botox isn't working as well ten years from now.  Get a facelift at 35??

I think it's sad she has to get botox injections to keep her young appearance, she pays the consequences of her smoking habit. I hope she will find a serious doctor to do the injections.

Let us know if she finds a Dermatologist who feels it is a good idea to inject her with Botox.

Any time a doctor agrees with a questionable request from a patient, I have to question whether they are truly acting on their patient's best interest or not.

If she is 26, there is still lots of time to get her skin healthy. I would hope that the doctor would also get her on to a routine that will make her look her best.

Botox is very effective, but it is also only a bandage solution.

I would have thought that was crazy until I saw one of my college friends who I hadn't seen in 2 years. In college she was pretty, but when I saw her a few months ago for the first time since I moved back, she was stunning! It looked like she had a complete makeover. She told me she was injecting some filler in her forehead and cheeks.

It does seem a little extreme, but if it's going to make her feel better about herself, I see no real problem with it. *shrug.* I think most people - at least in their twenties - would be lying if they said they wouldn't consider cosmetic procedures if they were free, financially, and of any chance of complications.

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif Botox is very effective, but it is also only a bandage solution.
I would agree with that sentiment exactly; I'm 23 and have been getting botox since 18 for hyperhydrosis.  have received botox in my armpits since 18 (so a little over 5 years now) and for hyperhydrosis at my hairline and upper forehead since 20 (I wanted to be sure everything was on the up and up on the armpits before putting that stuff in my face).  It is temporary, and the forehead stuff seems to get about the same recurring frequency of about 4-5 months I'll get it redone, and the armpits have slowly been less effective where I once was able to go six months between treatments and now it's more like 4 months.  It is temporary and appears to be requiring more frequent dosages, but I'm not a doctor.

I wouldn't get it for aging at this point, but maybe in my 30s, 40s, who knows?  I have no lines on my forehead or near my eyes, none of that, just a tiny bit of discolored spots on my nose that I seem to have staying the same with Shiseido SPF60 PA+++ sunblock.

The original poster should remind her cousin that there are risks, that she shouldn't try to save any money and to see a respected dermatologist to weigh pros and cons before making any decisions.  I think any derm worth anything would first want her to stop smoking and get her skincare on track before botox though(not a bad idea by any means).

Will it keep her from getting more lines?  If it does then it'd be worth it and then she just lets time catch up with her.  If it doesn't then it'd be kinda scary to oneday stop and your face just droops like a shar pei. 

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Will it keep her from getting more lines?  If it does then it'd be worth it and then she just lets time catch up with her.  If it doesn't then it'd be kinda scary to oneday stop and your face just droops like a shar pei. 
I think it will. From what I have heard, getting botox earlier is a much better thing than getting it too late when the lines are already very deep, by then you will require a lot more units. Plus, I think you may be able to over time "train" yourself to not make excessive facial expressions when your forehead is botoxed because it won´t move that much. Of course I have no idea if this is actually true lol

We compared each other side by side in the mirror when we talk normally, and I maybe do half the facial expressions (especially forehead crinkeling) she makes. So I think that´s the main reason why her forehead is her worst area. Her lifestyle habits probably just aggravated an excisting "problem"

Honestly...if I were her...I'd get it too....I wonder if it's too late to get her skin in order?

Originally Posted by llehsal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Honestly...if I were her...I'd get it too....I wonder if it's too late to get her skin in order?

Yeah I´d do the same I think. She has youthful facial features, blemish-free skin and a fun, carefree personality...the wrinkles just don´t match the rest, especially at her age. I´m really curious to see her results if/when she gets the botox injections!

If she has been smoking that much for so long and tanning that often, I can see why her skin would be so drastically different from yours. Both of those are terrible for your skin.

It's great that you got her to start wearing sunscreen everyday. That's a great way to prevent against skin cancer and aging. You should also try and encourage her not to tan. It's really bad for your skin and is a cause of cancer.

If she is looking for some other nonsurgical methods, sometimes you can get some powerful skincare treatments, like some of these, that also are said to treat skin damage. I haven't tried them personally. But getting her into a skin care regimen wouldn't hurt either.

Even if she's addicted to the nictotine in cigarettes and can't stop, she CAN quit tanning. The sun ages people's skin faster than anything, even smokes. I knew a girl who tanned all the time and looked like she was in her 40s when she was only 21 - seriously. If Botox can help you cousin and she can afford it, I'd say go for it. But it would be best if she could embrace more healthy lifestyle habits.

As long as she keeps smoking she's ruining her skin. The botox is only a temp fix. If she wanted to take care of her skin she would have to stop smoking. It may seem young for botox but I've been getting it every 3 months for over a year for my migraines and I'm only 23. Not like I have a choice though. She should really stop smoking!

if she cant quit smoking at least switch to a e-cig/vaporizor thats why i did a year ago

ill never go back to traditional cigs i still get the nicotine (small amount) without all those other terrible toxins bonus- comes in amazing flavors (mine its like a strawberries and cream so so yummy)

my skin was starting to age rapidly, now since i quit it is normalizing now and plus breathing is nice

I'm having a facial skin crisis. I'm used to having oily/normal combo skin which is acne prone, but all of a sudden my face is reacting to something I put on it and it's dry, red, and bumpy! I tried to put some soothing aloe on it and parts of my face stung. It's very upsetting because I don't know how to deal with it.

When you have a skin crisis, what's the first thing you do? If you don't know what caused it, how do you start looking to find out?

I'm having a facial skin crisis. I'm used to having oily/normal combo skin which is acne prone, but all of a sudden my face is reacting to something I put on it and it's dry, red, and bumpy! I tried to put some soothing aloe on it and parts of my face stung. It's very upsetting because I don't know how to deal with it.

When you have a skin crisis, what's the first thing you do? If you don't know what caused it, how do you start looking to find out?
If your skin is irritated then you want to calm it down before you start trying a bunch of stuff to get rid of it. Did you change any of your facial products recently? Did you try aloe from the plant or did you use a gel that is commonly used for sunburns? I'm not sure where you're located but Trader Joes has 100% pure aloe, so it doesn't have any stuff in it that could irritate it. If you can't get that then try an unscented moisturizer, once the senstivity is gone then you can try lightly exfoliating to get rid of the bumps. But I wouldn't try that if your skin is still stinging. I hope this helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

As long as she keeps smoking she's ruining her skin. The botox is only a temp fix. If she wanted to take care of her skin she would have to stop smoking. It may seem young for botox but I've been getting it every 3 months for over a year for my migraines and I'm only 23. Not like I have a choice though. She should really stop smoking!
Does it help your migraines? I've always been apprehensive about trying injectables like botox because I'd heard they can cause headaches.

If your skin is irritated then you want to calm it down before you start trying a bunch of stuff to get rid of it. Did you change any of your facial products recently? Did you try aloe from the plant or did you use a gel that is commonly used for sunburns? I'm not sure where you're located but Trader Joes has 100% pure aloe, so it doesn't have any stuff in it that could irritate it. If you can't get that then try an unscented moisturizer, once the senstivity is gone then you can try lightly exfoliating to get rid of the bumps. But I wouldn't try that if your skin is still stinging. I hope this helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Whole Foods grocery stores carry Aubrey Organics aloe vera gel which is very good for irritation. I use it daily.

Latest posts

Back