MAC Paint Pots: worth it?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure almost everyone here knows what a MAC paint pot is. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> What are your opinions on them? I love using them since I have oily eyelids, but they get expensive! Does anyone have good dupes? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Also, if you like them, what are your favorite colors?

I have a love/hate relationship with MAC paint pots.

-Love: MAC's "Painterly" Paint pot, I use it as a base and absolutely love it. I always moisturize my eyes prior to using it tho. I would not recommend it for dry lids. 

-Love: MAC's "Blackground." I use this for a dark/intense base for pigments. It works wonderfully and creates amazing depth and texture when combined with pigments and shadows. I also use it as an easily-smudged liner, or for added darkness in the crease, topping it with a shadow.

DONT Love: How the colored paint pots seem to dry out so quickly (and i'm very picky about putting the lid on right away). They dry up, and have a short "shelf life" imo. I don't enjoy working with product that's hard to move around.

Dupes: I love Benefits gel shadow (I don't know if that's exactly what its called), but it comes in similar containers, however, it doesn't dry up as quickly as MAC's. "skinny jeans" is a great color that can be worn on its own, and won't crease.

Sephora's gel liner can be applied in the same manor as the MAC paint pot. However, there is still that drying-up issue. 

Great topic! Hope this helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

oh yes! I love Benefit's creaseless cream shadow in Birthday Suit. so pretty!

But I went shopping today... and caved. I bought a new paint pot in Rubenesque.

I already have Blackground, Soft Ochre, Constructivist, and Groundwork.

Has anyone ever tried the brighter colors? (i.e. Girl Friendly, Otherworldly, Pharaoh)

Do they have the same pigmentation, or do they fade out quickly?

Originally Posted by greeneyedlady /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a love/hate relationship with MAC paint pots.

-Love: MAC's "Painterly" Paint pot, I use it as a base and absolutely love it. I always moisturize my eyes prior to using it tho. I would not recommend it for dry lids. 

-Love: MAC's "Blackground." I use this for a dark/intense base for pigments. It works wonderfully and creates amazing depth and texture when combined with pigments and shadows. I also use it as an easily-smudged liner, or for added darkness in the crease, topping it with a shadow.

DONT Love: How the colored paint pots seem to dry out so quickly (and i'm very picky about putting the lid on right away). They dry up, and have a short "shelf life" imo. I don't enjoy working with product that's hard to move around.

Dupes: I love Benefits gel shadow (I don't know if that's exactly what its called), but it comes in similar containers, however, it doesn't dry up as quickly as MAC's. "skinny jeans" is a great color that can be worn on its own, and won't crease.

Sephora's gel liner can be applied in the same manor as the MAC paint pot. However, there is still that drying-up issue. 

Great topic! Hope this helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
If you store it upside down it doesnt dry up :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I have found spraying Fix+ in the container and then letting it sit over night brings them back to life!

Love my Paint Pots as color bases, I still need some type of primer because I'll crease through the paint pots.

I love mine! So worth it, in my opinion. I've had my painterly one for a little over a year, and it's nowhere close to being done, despite using it just about every day. Haven't had a problem with drying out either. 

I have one in Rubenesque and also one in Quite Natural.  I REALLY love the Quite Natural one, but am only so so on the Rubenesque.  That is the first one I bought and I like to wear natural shadows a lot, so I got the Quite Natural.  I actually use the Quite Natural on it's own a lot.  It looks really well, natural blended out.  I live in Arizona where it is really dry and they have not dried out.  I have oily lids and these do not crease or move around by themselves or with a powder shadow on top.  They actually dry so fast, you have to make sure to blend them out well.  I also have a MAC paint (not sure if they still make these) in a purple color and like it a lot as well.  Creamier texture though.  I also have two of the Maybelline Color Tattoo's as well and they are really great.  I use the Bad to The Bronze one alone all summer long.  Its stays great. A really great affordable alternative. 

I only have one of the MAC paintpots, Painterly, but I love it. Compared to eyeshadow primers like UD's, they both seem to last the same amount of time for me-- LONG! I think the main difference between the two is just the texture and application.

I love a lot of the paintpots from afar, haha, like Rubenesque and Indianwood. I don't have them, but have tried them in store and would love to own them.

I've heard the Benefit ones are pretty great, but have yet to try them. I'm hesitant to call these dupes, because they are around the same price range. For me, a dupe is a similar product that you can get for cheaper. If they are the same price, why not just go for the one you're looking at?

I have a few of Maybelline's color tattoos, but wouldn't call them dupes because they are not the same colors (at least, the ones I own!). The Maybelline color tattoos are really great quality except for the purple one, which doesn't match the color in the pot. I think the Maybelline ones are worth checking out if you've never played with "paint pot" products, because they aren't too expensive and they have a good range of colors.

I lurve my Painterly paint pot. It's great as a base or just to brighten up your eyes a bit. I'm definitely buying more the next time I'm near a mac store!

sooo worth it! swear by soft ochre, painterly but my all time fave is a relatively new limited edition shade called nubile! perfect on its own and a great neutral shade. i bought so many back ups. if you can get your hands on one I highly recommend it!!

I was also skeptical on whether or not paint pots are worth it, but decided to take the risk and buy one. I've been using painterly a lot and I love it!

Oh yeah, if you want a color that's light, natural, a bit shimmery and really brightens up your eyes and makes you look awake, try out Bare Study. I love it as a base, but it is wonderful on its own. 

I went to the mac store this weekend to try some paint pots and i was shocked that I didn't like them on my eyes.  They just looked cakey, even when I only applied very little.  Why do you think that happened? Im almost upset that I dont like it.. I was so sure I would! 

I thought I was the only one that didn't like them. I bought painterly because of all the rave reviews but hated it. It was too expensive to throw so I kept it. After reading this thread, I decided to dig it up and try it again...nope still hate the feel, can't stand it on me lids.

Originally Posted by Kristin1387 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I went to the mac store this weekend to try some paint pots and i was shocked that I didn't like them on my eyes.  They just looked cakey, even when I only applied very little.  Why do you think that happened? Im almost upset that I dont like it.. I was so sure I would! 
try moisturizing your lids before applying the paint pot. i know during the winter months my lids dry out so i always do that. hope that helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I love the MAC paint pots but I definitely agree that it's important to moisturize your eyelids before using them as they can go on a little heavy. I even use a neutral colored color as a base for all my eye makeup. It does a great job evening out my skin tone and helps the makeup stay on longer.

Latest posts

Back