My salon wants to sell cosmetics... help

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently got a job at this really awesome salon as the head makeup artist, and she wants to start using a line exclusively and selling it in the store.  We get 40% all MAC products, so she was thinking about using MAC and selling it for like 10-15% to consumers.  Then I was telling her about all the palettes over in China and how if you buy them in bulk, you can get them cheap.  I have been trying to look for different makeup manufactorers as well to see what the deal is, maybe she could get her own line, but I haven't had much luck with that besides the conservatorie, and I'm not interested in what they have.

I was thinking also NYX is a great brand to sell because I look at it as the poor man's MAC... and we get that for discount too..  What do you guys think?  Any suggestions, brands, manufactorers, etc?

This makeup I would also be using strictly, so then when the client gets their makeup done I would make a face chart and then they would be able to buy the product.

I'm also gonna tell her about Crown brushes, cuz u can get them and get your company name on them and stuff, and crown isnt bad, I had a classmate buy a set of their brushes at the beauty show we went to in NYC..

I think, not that I'm at all involved in professional MU application or anything lol, that going for a product like mac is a better idea. only because they have such a variety in foundation. I bought a Beauties factory 120 Pallet off eBay and it was reasonably priced and all the colors that I've used so far are really good. But I don't know how good a company like Beauties Factory would be as far as foundation would be concerned.

I think everyone knows MAC, so I would try to be different.  Like using Makeup Forever. 

Well, I would say MAC because of the variety too, but its pricey - and its bad enough I'm already spending $$ on makeup application, I might be afraid to spend the extra $$ on the actual makeup in one shot (regardless of the discount).  Know what I mean?

I like the MUFE idea.......however, if you don't get a discount on that, I would go with NYX.  It's more affordable for your clients.

I'm pretty sure you can't buy/resell products with your pro discount, and there are restrictions in place to prevent bulk purchasing. I haven't been a pro member for a while, though, so maybe I'm wrong.

You can't sell MAC cosmetics because they do not allow resell. My suggestion is contact companies and see which companies allow resell. If you become a distributor (as a seller) they may give your salon different prices than what they sell to pros. I know Youngblood Minerals allows resell in salons and Bed Head. Those are the only two that are on the top of my head.

Originally Posted by CHaNGiNGFaCESx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I recently got a job at this really awesome salon as the head makeup artist, and she wants to start using a line exclusively and selling it in the store.  We get 40% all MAC products, so she was thinking about using MAC and selling it for like 10-15% to consumers.  Then I was telling her about all the palettes over in China and how if you buy them in bulk, you can get them cheap.  I have been trying to look for different makeup manufactorers as well to see what the deal is, maybe she could get her own line, but I haven't had much luck with that besides the conservatorie, and I'm not interested in what they have.

I was thinking also NYX is a great brand to sell because I look at it as the poor man's MAC... and we get that for discount too..  What do you guys think?  Any suggestions, brands, manufactorers, etc?

This makeup I would also be using strictly, so then when the client gets their makeup done I would make a face chart and then they would be able to buy the product.

I'm also gonna tell her about Crown brushes, cuz u can get them and get your company name on them and stuff, and crown isnt bad, I had a classmate buy a set of their brushes at the beauty show we went to in NYC..

I like the NYX idea because they are good products and affordable.  They also have good dupes for MAC.  So if you use MAC products to do their face you can always point them in the direction of a good dupe with NYX for purchase.  Also, I think you can contract with NYX for resale.  I've seen it for sale on cherry culture and on makeup geek websites.  Personally, I wouldn't limit myself to just one brand and only sell that.  I'm a girl that likes variety so I'd offer some different stuff.

Yeah, I know the makeup forever idea is definitely out.  Way too expensive... I think she's either prob gonna go with trying to do something with NYX or finding her own stuff..

Originally Posted by DreamWarrior /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can the salon work directly with MAC not as a resell but a distributor?
Not that I'm aware of. They don't allow anyone to distribute their product other than Macy's.

Well, the only reason they had mentioned MAC is because they see people selling it at the flea markets, but I told them its more than likely 99% the fake MAC anyways, that's why they can legally do it or who knows what is legal and what is not at the Flea Markets... I know I've bought some bootleg Air Force ones there before, HA!

I'm thinkiing more and more about NYX cuz as a professional we get 30% off and then I'm going to look into how to retail it, because sooooo many places near us retail it, like all the beauty supply stores and so forth, so I know you can do it

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can't sell MAC cosmetics because they do not allow resell. My suggestion is contact companies and see which companies allow resell. If you become a distributor (as a seller) they may give your salon different prices than what they sell to pros. I know Youngblood Minerals allows resell in salons and Bed Head. Those are the only two that are on the top of my head.
I like your idea and agree that you should contact companies to see which ones allow distribution at salons.

NYX prolly would be the easiest one, but aren't they easily accessible now?

Originally Posted by reesesilverstar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like your idea and agree that you should contact companies to see which ones allow distribution at salons.

NYX prolly would be the easiest one, but aren't they easily accessible now?
Not really but depends on the area. I know where I live no one sells NYX and the nearest place to me is like 60 miles away. People who dislike buying on the internet would be a great market to tap into.

Oh, ok... I was just curious because all the wig shops here carry most of the NYX line, and what they don't, you could find at HEB or ULTA...

Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

MAC is great, but not as many people will be able to afford it.  I like the idea of using NYX and MUFE.  I think that's a winning combo!  I know you can't resell MAC at the pro discount, as I just looked into getting my own discount and that was a big red flag.  So don't resell your discounted MAC.  Lady Burd cosmetics is great and they sell to people that want to put their own label on the makeup.  B*Slap Cosmetics is Lady Burd cosmetics with B*Slap packaging.  Look them up online and you will see the amazing discounts! For example, one of B*Slaps items is $35, when Lady Burd is selling it for $7 and some change. I know I would buy Clinique right up. I always do and I started in Clinique 12+ yrs ago over a makeover in a chair at the mall. And now I should own stock in the business, I have so much of their products! LOL Just some thoughts. Hope it helps.

If shes interested in having her own brand there are a lot of private label companies. I'm not one of them! Google private label and you'll be busy for a while looking at all of the options!

Well, I spoke with NYX today and we are able to get wholesale from them.  And it's not that we're going to be selling NYX like we're trying to be a store or something, so even if it is easily accessible, that's not the point.  The point of carrying the cosmetic in the store is when I do someone's makeup for any event, they more than likely are going to want to re-create the look, or if I do someones makeup for an event, especially a wedding, it is encouraged and recommended to have the lipstick with you for touch ups thru out the evening, so I know lipstick would always sell.  Then of course, people who are interested in re-creating the look, I'm sure eyeshadow, lipstick would be top sellers.  I have been in sales for a verrrrryyyy long time as well, so when I actually like the product and believe in something, I can sell it to anyone, I've always done well with sales positions.. plus why wouldn't you want to buy it?  It's affordable, you will have the exact colors and everything I just used and not have to write it down and then run to some store to find it or order online and wait.  It's about conveinence, people want things NOW NOW NOW... and don't wanna wait or have to go thru the trouble of going to another store to get it. 

So, anyways, I printed up everything I got from NYX for the application, and I'm going to the salon tomorrow for a blow out, so I'm going to bring the stuff from NYX over and propose that idea to her, hopefully she will do it.  I think NYX is cute, they are up and coming, they got the name NYX from a greek goddess, the makeup is actually good, affordable, a lot of dupe colors for MAC.. I love that the lipstick has the actual lipstick on the bottom in a little clear plastic so you can actually see the exact color.  I use a lot of NYX products anyways, lipsticks, concealer, jumbo pencil, eye base.. etc!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm excited!

Woo hoo!!!!!! You made an excellent and affordable choice!  Your customers are going to really really like it!!!!

I know!  I'm excited, and guess what?  I went on a job interview last week for Bare Escentuals, and I got the call back today and have the 2nd interview tomorrow and Bare Escentuals gives 50% discount to employees and I happen to love mineral makeup, once that came out, I was hooked, it works well on my face! 

Also you know what I think is cute about NYX?  Their mascot is a Bichon Frise and I have a Maltese and they are related and I think it's so cute :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back