Primer Ingredients

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are the main ingredients I should be looking for when choosing a great makeup primer? I have your classic oil in the T-zone problem. The rest of my makeup looks fabulous and my T-zone always looks so-so.

Most of the good brands have a high concentration of water and Dimethicone.  

Dimethicone for the slip. That makes sense. Okay...one more silly question: How would that NOT clog your pores? Your putting a barrier between your skin and the makeup? Wouldn't the oil stay in your pores under the primer? Is there any other alternative than dimethicone and I assume the other would be a silicone for a primer? I need a primer but not the pimples? I'm clueless when it comes to primers.

Primers vary depending on the type of silicone used (dimethicone being the most common). Dimethicone has proved to be used as a skin protectant, which is good to not only treat individual issues with your skin (acne, burns, etc) but protects your skin from bacteria, as well. Cyclomethicone is good because it's non comedogenic and outstanding for those with oily skin types. I think you can weigh the pros and cons and the strengths of dimethicone definitely outweigh the weaknesses. Overall, it is good for your skin.

Latest posts

Back