New Aluminum Free Deodorant by Clean

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I stay away from conventional deodorants with aluminum because of breast cancer risk but the natural deodorants aren't always as effective. I do like Melvita and Weleda deodorants but I'm always on the look out for new options. I saw this deodorant at Sephora and it looks promising. I might have to order it. Anybody used it?

If you are trying to avoid aluminum, give lemons a shot.

After a shower, wipe the fresh cut end of the lemon, under each arm pit.

The lemon prevents the bacteria from forming - which is what makes us stink.

Try this on the weekend, when you are home for the day. You will be quite  surprised how effective lemons will work.

Years ago I used to use Adidas brand aluminum free antiperspirant deodorant.  I loved it but I can't find it anywhere anymore 
sadno.gif

I would actually love to know if any aluminum free anti-perspirants work. Most deodorants/anti-perspirants make my under arms terribly itchy. I tried the Tom's Farm one but it didn't work at all. I would love to get rid of the itchy but I keep using it because I don't want to smell bad.

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would actually love to know if any aluminum free anti-perspirants work. Most deodorants/anti-perspirants make my under arms terribly itchy. I tried the Tom's Farm one but it didn't work at all. I would love to get rid of the itchy but I keep using it because I don't want to smell bad.
Origins used to have "No Offense." It was great,  but it wasn't an anti-perspirant to my knowledge.  I still don't understand why they discontinued it.
confused.gif

I use LAVANILA now, but it too is not an anti-perspirant.

I just live with the sweat. Lol Mine is not excessive, so I don't let it bug me.

All of the drugstore deodorants/anti-perspirants I've tried have had horrible reactions. >_<

I received a sample of the Savvy-Boheme Allons-y Lavendar/Grapefruit natural deordorant from Conscious Box. I wore it a few days and it did not work for me. I do not sweat much unless I'm working out but my underarms still got stinky even on my non-workout days. I also did not care for the heavy herbal scent. On a positive note, I did not experience any skin irritation.

I will check out other options mentioned here - I would like to get away from aluminum based deodorant anti-perspirants.

Originally Posted by astokes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Origins used to have "No Offense." It was great,  but it wasn't an anti-perspirant to my knowledge.  I still don't understand why they discontinued it.
confused.gif

I use LAVANILA now, but it too is not an anti-perspirant.

I just live with the sweat. Lol Mine is not excessive, so I don't let it bug me.

All of the drugstore deodorants/anti-perspirants I've tried have had horrible reactions. >_<
OK Ill check it out. Thank you. I live in the So Cal desert where temperatures regularly soar from 110-125 in the summer so I sweat a lot if I am outdoors.

Did anyone ever end up trying this? Debating whether to get this or some different scents of the Lavanila. Although I tried the pure vanilla sample size from Sephora and I don't feel like it works that well, but I thought maybe I'd like it better in the lemon vanilla or something.

I was also tempted by the Fresh Sugar deodorant/antiperspirant. The reviews looked good and aluminum was nowhere on the ingredients list, but I kept googling and it sounds like there IS aluminum in it. 

Anyone know of any good aluminum free antiperspirants??

I am allergic to anti-perspirants, so I'm stuck with deodorants and I have searched far and wide for one that works.  My favorite is the Lavanila in the coconut vanilla scent, which I believe they discontinued, dammit.  I've tried their grapefruit vanilla scent and I like that one as well.  Weleda works pretty good, but I prefer the Lavanila.  Another okay one is Arm and Hammer Essentials, but it has triclosan in it, which some people don't like. 

I have not had good luck with the Malin + Goetz ones, Jason Naturals, GeoDeo, Toms of Maine, and the Crystal deodorants.  The Malin + Goetz Eucalyptus deodorant was hands down the worst one I've ever used, which was a huge disappointment because it cost $18. 

Another thing you can do is make your own.  It's super easy and it works just as well as the Lavanila, it just doesn't have the pretty scent, lol.  Mix together equal parts (I use a quarter cup of each and it's the perfect amount to fit in a large empty deodorant container) of unrefined coconut oil (you'll want to heat it until it's liquid to mix easier), corn starch and baking soda.  You can add essential oils for scent if you'd like (Eucalyptus and lavender have antibacterial properties).  Scoop into an empty deodorant tube and keep in the fridge to keep it firm (coconut oil liquifies at 76 degrees and the deodorant will get soft in a warm bathroom which makes it harder to apply).

One thing to remember with Aluminum free deodorants - they will not keep you from sweating like an anti-perspirant.  Their job is only to keep odor away.  You will still sweat and it can be hard to get used to if you're used to using anti-perspirants.  Because you sweat does not mean that the deodorant isn't working.  If you smell, that's when you know it's not working. 

I recently stopped using antiperspirant and I broke out in these big gross bumps that turned purplish. After about a week it stopped but left scars that have faded. I am almost out of the Weleda that I bought and went to Sprouts and bought an antiperspirant spray and bam the most painful purple welt appears first day! I have some deodorant powder from Lush that is really effective, the Greench but that turns my armpits black after a few days which I found out is a chemical burn from the baking soda. If I am doing something where I will sweat a lot I will still use it as it is the most effective deodorant I own. I may have to go to Sephora and get some LaVanilla to try since the Weleda is so hard to find.

I recently stopped using antiperspirant and I broke out in these big gross bumps that turned purplish. After about a week it stopped but left scars that have faded. I am almost out of the Weleda that I bought and went to Sprouts and bought an antiperspirant spray and bam the most painful purple welt appears first day! I have some deodorant powder from Lush that is really effective, the Greench but that turns my armpits black after a few days which I found out is a chemical burn from the baking soda. If I am doing something where I will sweat a lot I will still use it as it is the most effective deodorant I own. I may have to go to Sephora and get some LaVanilla to try since the Weleda is so hard to find.
That sounds awful!  I have never heard of chemical burns from baking soda.  The Lavanila doesn't have any in it so it shouldn't bother you (I hope!).  It is spendy ($14), but it is a big tube and lasts quite a while.

I second the La Vanilla. I don't love the vanilla one but I still buy it to keep the mini in my purse. I do like the grapefruit and I just ordered the summer scent.

My deo-routine is to clean the area with fresh limes about 1-2 times a week. Second I use a crystal deodorant followed by a natural cream/stick deoderant. Neither of these work on their own but I find that if I start with the crystal it creates that barrier and the deodorant well...deodorizes. With the two layers I'm able to last most of the day.

I second the La Vanilla. I don't love the vanilla one but I still buy it to keep the mini in my purse. I do like the grapefruit and I just ordered the summer scent.

My deo-routine is to clean the area with fresh limes about 1-2 times a week. Second I use a crystal deodorant followed by a natural cream/stick deoderant. Neither of these work on their own but I find that if I start with the crystal it creates that barrier and the deodorant well...deodorizes. With the two layers I'm able to last most of the day.
Is the crystal deodorant a brand or like a whole category of deodorant? I've never heard of it!

Is the crystal deodorant a brand or like a whole category of deodorant? I've never heard of it!
I think it's both. There's a Crystal brand deodorant that comes in different forms (a crystal rock form, roll on, etc.) and other brands that just refer to the crystal form factor of the deodorant. 

minimus.biz sells sample sizes of Crystal and other aluminum-free brands:

http://www.minimus.biz/search.aspx?keyword=deodorant

I haven't tried the crystal versions, personally, but I received a Tom's deodorant in Wild Lavender in a PinchMe box recently and have been cautiously trying it out when I won't offend anyone if I have a stink failure. On the plus side, I LOVE the fragrance (it smells like legit lavender), but I might have to put this one on the back burner until summer is over because I don't like feeling sweaty. I tried layering it with an aluminum-based deodorant, but I think it just made the aluminum one work less well.

I think the sprouts one was crystal mineral deodorant and that caused a welt. I think my underarms went through a purge period from more than 20 years of using strong antiperspirant and the first time I used one they said no way. The last one I used was a Secret antiperspirant that I could go 3 days without reapplying, perspiring, stinking. I know I got around 72 hours without a real shower on a vacation and there was no smell.

I gave the my kids the mineral one to share and they are fine but my body said no way. My body rejects it. The Weleda can sting after I spray but it's nothing compared to wearing the mineral stuff the other day. If you aren't sensitive to baking soda the lush stuff is great. I would assume you can test plain baking soda to see if you are sensitive to it. The darkness too a few days to happen and disappeared as soon as I stop.

@ The crystal one I use is from the brand Naturally Fresh, the one with aloe. I picked mine up from GNC but other brands are offered at Whole Foods, Target, and drug stores.

Latest posts

Back