Oily Skin- Powder or Cream blush?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi, a question for girls with oily skin-

what lasts longer on your skin, powder or cream blush?

some places online tell me cream is better for oily skin and others tell me that powder is. i have oily skin and i've never tried cream blush so i wanna know if it's worth it with my skin type.

I have oily skin and I used to use powder, now I use liquid foundation & powder. It's been my experience that powder makes my skin look less oily but it doesn't stay as well. Cream blush lasts longer but it makes my skin look oilier...so it really all depends. You may just want to go with the cream blush and use oil blotting pads.

I also have oily/combo skin, depending on what time of the month it is, the weather/season, etc. I use cream *and* powder blushes with no problem, and sometimes even together. But I noticed that ones like MUF HD blushes, those ones with the pump, are really not good for my skin at all. The reason being the whacks of silicone in them. I tested some out again today in Sephora - my one really good experience in that store - and my skin really felt horrible afterwards. Just kinda gloopy and greasy. Yuck. Can't stand the texture and really didn't like the way they looked on my skin.  I would really suggest going to a store which carries a lot of different brands and getting many samples of all the various brands that you're interested in trying out. That's the only way you will know for sure as to how well it will wear on your skin, if it breaks you out, etc. Some people swear by cheek stains. Personally, I have yet to try one which I like. I just don't care for the way they apply or the fact that some can sink into your pores, leaving pigmented spots. Especially for somebody with oily skin. Not a good look.

The cream blush products I do use have been working really well for me for the past 2-1/2 years or so. Before that, I would never touch a cream blush, thinking they were only for people with dry skin and would make me feel greasy, sticky and caked up. That may have been true at one time, but formulations have really changed compared to when my mother used to use them. I decided to give them a try when I saw a color at MAC that I felt I couldn't live without haha :)

As for the brands/types of cream blushes I have found work for me, there are 2 which I am really happy with. One is MAC's cream blush pot thingies. I can't remember what they are officially called and too tired to go check right now. The color I settled on after taking home samples was Brit Wit. It's super concentrated and I need to use a good, semi-stiff synthetic foundation or buffing brush to properly blend it out it because of that. Not thick in a bad way, just very concentrated, IMO. It does blend out very sheerly, though, has no shimmer at all, and doesn't sit in my pores. A little really goes a long way with this stuff. It also doesn't make me feel oily/greasy. I can't remember the ingredients, it might have some silicone in it, but this one I have found doesn't irritate my skin or make me break out. Then again, I don't smear it all over my face :) I can't remember how much I paid for it at all, but being MAC, it obviously isn't a bargain brand.

The other brand which I absolutely LOVE - more than the MAC cream blushes - is NYC Blushable Creme Sticks. They are so light in texture and blend out so easily, I often just use my fingers to do so. Completely different in texture from the MAC cream blush. I just dot a bit on straight from the stick and buff it out til it looks nice and sheer. They really are beautiful with a very slight pearly sheen to them, but no glittery sparkles. I also use them on my lips with gloss and a bit of pigments to hold them longer. Kinda like a Multiple, which is nice. They don't migrate into my pores and don't make my face look shiny or make me more oily, either. I use my own setting powder over them just after application to keep them fresh looking all day and have never had a problem with fading or streaking. My favorite shade so far is Plaza Pink, which is very much like NARS Deep Throat (powder). Peachy-pink, but more natural peach. It's really beautiful, very easy to apply and causes no break outs for me. I also have it in Big Apple Blush, which is a pink tone with a bit of iridescence, but it isn't shiny. It's just kinda glow-y without being over the top. They both are really pretty. I often top Plaza Pink with a bit of NARS Deep Throat or MAC's mineralize blush in Dainty. The colors are very similar, they look great together, and the powder also helps set them a bit. Just start building your layers lightly and go from there.

They had 2 or 3 other colors I saw at a NYC store display about a month back, which looked more earth-toned, and I read online last night that they have added more to that line which are more like creme bronzing sticks for the summer. They look really nice from the photos. Gonna pick those up as soon as they hit the stores here. For the price and quality, I would definitely go with these. All are only $3.99 and go a long way! I actually wish they had far more colors available.

So the be all and end all, I guess, is that you *can* use cream blushes, as well as powder, even with oily skin. I personally like to powder over top of the creams to set them just as I would with any liquid or cream product. Just get yourself to a Sephora - gahh I don't like recommending them haha but they *do* give a great deal of samples when asked - or a major department store which carries a variety of cosmetic brands, or even a decent drug store which carries a lot of brands and has testers available so they can put some product in little jars for you. If they have good customer service, they will happily give them to you, including at MAC, NARS, etc. I rarely have ever had a problem obtaining product samples, and even came home with an entire bag-full today. Last week and today were foundation sample hauls for me. Am testing out 7 different types/brands at the moment to see which works best with my skin. Sampling products in-store just isn't sufficient to be able to make a decision, especially when it's a more expensive line. Good luck finding something that works for you :)

I use powder and I have extremely oily skin.. If you're like me and can't even bear how much oil is on your face, then most products will not last a full day on your skin even with a setting powder...so it is much easier to just reapply the powder blush midday...yea you could blot and reapply cream, but it would be much more of a hassle...and the powder absorbs some of the oil while the cream will have a sheen to it...

Powder all the way! Cream blushes emphasize the oiliness, which is a nightmare for girls with combo/oily skin!

Powder, cream can become a nightmare indeed !

You could maybe try a cheek stain like the one from Smaxbox, or Benefit.

I pretty much never use cream blush, just doesn't seem to look right on oily skin.

I have oily skin and use powder. My fav's are Lorac's blushes, and a few of MACs here and there. Not a huge fan of creme blushes, but I think they work nicely on mature skin.

I tend to have oily skin and not only do I use powder but I use a pure mineral powder, as it has oil absorbing properties to it, to keep any shine to a minimum

I have oily/combo skin and the blush that has worked the best for me is Tarte's Amazonian Clay 12 hour blush. It has great pigment and lasts ALL day, through my sweat/oil/whatever.

Any blush will have a sheen to it, even powder, if it has those types of pigments/micas in its formula which naturally have a sheen to them. Even if the skin is more dry. And even if you start with a matte powder blush, it can still look very oily later in the day. Our skins are what they are, and nothing will change that. Most of my powder blushes have some shimmer to them, so even though they are powder, they still wind up looking like I've got a sheen on my face if I don't blot. Likewise my matte blushes. Oil alone gives a sheen, no matter what. Apply some to your makeup-free skin without anything else and you will see exactly that.

Something most people often mistakenly think or assume is that powder products are oil-free, when actually many MANY DO contain oils and silicones, including powder blushes, pressed powders, and even so-called 'mineral makeup'. I have had to educate many a skin-care line representative who has claimed when speaking to me that their line is 'paraben-free, talc-free, oil-free, chemical-free, etc'. Most are just parroting what they have been told and do not know the products whatsoever and know nothing about their ingredients. A great deal of MUA also have no idea as to what they are actually selling until I discuss the ingredients on the label with them, after which they get a look of utter stunned confuse-ment on their faces. Using a powder product does NOT automatically mean that it's oil free, or even that it is 'natural, even when the label claims that to be the case. Very often the opposite. Read your ingredients labels and read the fine print. Educate yourself. No offense meant to all the MUA artists on the forums here, but it has been my experience with the MUA here in Canada that MOST do NOT know what they are talking about in regards to ingredients. The majority are clueless, yet are convinced they are experts. My latest trip to the US I also had a chat with an Origins rep, an arrogant-mentally-challenged Micabella rep, and a few others, regarding their liquid/mineral foundations and they ASSURED me all of their products are silicone-free, paraben-free, of the highest quality bs bs bs. They really didn't know that they there was silicone in them and that the parabens in products have been replaced by something even worse in 99% of the product lines which make the 'paraben-free' claim. Micabella is also some of THE cheapest formulated mineral foundation I have ever had the displeasure of trying out. I nearly died when the arrogant twat trying to pimp it to me told me the price after I read the ingredients, and DID laugh at him. He actually believed that this stuff is top-of-the-line. I told him that I have used better mineral foundation made by myself and many other small formulators which sell esclusively over the internet. He didn't have a CLUE what I was talking about. Most women buying skin care products and cosmetics are not aware that they are being taken in by ignorant, undereducated people like this. Proof of that was the many women I saw stopping by the same display and sucking in all the bs these people told them, and then shelling out hundreds of $$ for these substandard products. I walked away laughing and shaking my head as the Micabella twat kept insisting their forumla has 'titanium and iron in it which makes it superior'. MORON.

Anyways, MAC's Brit Wit is completely matte and stays that way, even with my oily skin, and even though I use just the tiniest amount which is all that is necessary. It does not give my skin any more extra sheen than it would have if I never blotted my skin and never fades or streaks throughout the day. It is nothing like many of the slimy silicone blushes - MUF HD crap-blush-in-a-pump comes to mind - which are on the market now. Powder blush or not, oily skin needs a good, non-pigmented setting of high quality powder after applying foundation, which does not mean expensive powder. Look at your ingredients to determine quality. I saw a CoverGirl pressed powder last night - unfortunately it was pigmented - which had oat flour and other great stuff in it. Totally shocked me. That is of far higher quality than the MUF 'HD powder', and far cheaper. In addition, blotting tissues or those Clean n Clear blue blotting sheets which soak up a truckload of oil are enough throughout the day to remove excess skin oils if good powder has been properly applied after initial makeup application. More powder during the day just makes the skin look caked up and pores even more visible on oily skin, even if you're using one of those so-called HD powders, which are nothing but - or mainly - silica. I know this from my own personal experience with oily skin and as a teenager who had acne-prone skin.

Incidentally, all of the products now on the market with 'amazonian clay' (another bullsh*t PR/marketing buzzword, along with 'HD', 'antioxidant', 'paraben-free' and many others) are nothing but products with kaolin clay in their formula, which is a very cheap filler > but not bad for the skin in general, thankfully. Yes, it absorbs *some* oil, but not as much as far better ingredients for oil absorption which last much longer. If you find kaolin is enough for you personally though, you can also use it in a setting powder easily made at home. I personally do not like clay in my powder, whether store-bought or home-made, as the finish is much more heavy-looking and too opaque and also clogs my pores when sitting on my face all day. Besides that, there isn't a powder or blush of any type on the market which will keep the skin completely oil free all day. It's physically impossible as our skin is constantly producing oil as a natural protectant and lubricant/moisturizer.

Yes, I know I rambled, but the info is pretty much all related :) The be all and end all is know your product ingredients, do not believe without questioning and checking for yourself whatever the customer service reps of whatever cosmetics or skin care line tell you, and try both formulations from different brands for yourself - cream and powder - to see what works best for you. There are so many different textures and finishes. You may very well be surprised, as I was, that it IS very possible for a person with oily skin to wear cream blush with no problems of fading, or having additional oil on their face, and that it can look very good as well.

^ Sat is a huge fan of fillers 
icon_lol.gif

The cream-to-powder lasts longer. The formula is designed to go on smooth and sink into your skin, like a second skin. It eventually dries to a powder finish. The powder is great for oily skin, but unfortunately will need to be reapplied throughout the day.

I actually use Dinair Airbrush Makeup for all my makeup so i use their blush...its wonderful...it stays on all day long and it is also all water based so it is not bad for my skin because it does not clog my pores. They also have a product called Shine Free that i use under their makeup and it just absorbs my oil through out the whole day. It's amazing!!

I'm a fan of high quality ingredients and companies who do not jump ion the latest bandwagon, using the typical buzz-words of the year meant to suck us in to buying their crappy products. I will pay for a product, IF it is a QUALITY product. If it's not, the company can kiss my arse :) because I will spend my money elsewhere. I am also a fan of people who spend time really finding out about their products and what is really in thjem. How can I seriously respect a person who claims to be a 'skin care consultant', yet has no freaking clue what they are selling or what is and isn't good for the skin?

Likewise when I speak to a makeup artist. They should KNOW their stuff and what is and isn't in the products they are using. There are very very few MUA who know anything outside of actually applying makeup professionally and artfully - which is why they are called ARTISTS. But they generally don't know much at all about what ingredients are and aren't good for the skin. Which is why I choose to educate myself. I don't expect anybody I speak to in the stores to know much of anything, because they usually don't.

Still laughing about that idiot who works for Micabella > 'It's got TITANIUM and IRON in it!' Sure thing, [email protected] thing :) Yet HE had the gall to say to ME "I'm not so sure you know what you are talking about' LMFAO You arrogant little moron LOL I LOVE being talked down to by a mental-midget, truly :)

Oh yeah. A lot of companies lie because these things are not regulated. At least I dont think they are regulated. I also hear things organic and certified organic are not regulated. Meaning, anyone can stick a sticker on something that is only 50% organic or less!

Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any blush will have a sheen to it, even powder, if it has those types of pigments/micas in its formula which naturally have a sheen to them. Even if the skin is more dry. And even if you start with a matte powder blush, it can still look very oily later in the day. Our skins are what they are, and nothing will change that. Most of my powder blushes have some shimmer to them, so even though they are powder, they still wind up looking like I've got a sheen on my face if I don't blot. Likewise my matte blushes. Oil alone gives a sheen, no matter what. Apply some to your makeup-free skin without anything else and you will see exactly that.

Something most people often mistakenly think or assume is that powder products are oil-free, when actually many MANY DO contain oils and silicones, including powder blushes, pressed powders, and even so-called 'mineral makeup'. I have had to educate many a skin-care line representative who has claimed when speaking to me that their line is 'paraben-free, talc-free, oil-free, chemical-free, etc'. Most are just parroting what they have been told and do not know the products whatsoever and know nothing about their ingredients. A great deal of MUA also have no idea as to what they are actually selling until I discuss the ingredients on the label with them, after which they get a look of utter stunned confuse-ment on their faces. Using a powder product does NOT automatically mean that it's oil free, or even that it is 'natural, even when the label claims that to be the case. Very often the opposite. Read your ingredients labels and read the fine print. Educate yourself. No offense meant to all the MUA artists on the forums here, but it has been my experience with the MUA here in Canada that MOST do NOT know what they are talking about in regards to ingredients. The majority are clueless, yet are convinced they are experts. My latest trip to the US I also had a chat with an Origins rep, an arrogant-mentally-challenged Micabella rep, and a few others, regarding their liquid/mineral foundations and they ASSURED me all of their products are silicone-free, paraben-free, of the highest quality bs bs bs. They really didn't know that they there was silicone in them and that the parabens in products have been replaced by something even worse in 99% of the product lines which make the 'paraben-free' claim. Micabella is also some of THE cheapest formulated mineral foundation I have ever had the displeasure of trying out. I nearly died when the arrogant twat trying to pimp it to me told me the price after I read the ingredients, and DID laugh at him. He actually believed that this stuff is top-of-the-line. I told him that I have used better mineral foundation made by myself and many other small formulators which sell esclusively over the internet. He didn't have a CLUE what I was talking about. Most women buying skin care products and cosmetics are not aware that they are being taken in by ignorant, undereducated people like this. Proof of that was the many women I saw stopping by the same display and sucking in all the bs these people told them, and then shelling out hundreds of $$ for these substandard products. I walked away laughing and shaking my head as the Micabella twat kept insisting their forumla has 'titanium and iron in it which makes it superior'. MORON.

Anyways, MAC's Brit Wit is completely matte and stays that way, even with my oily skin, and even though I use just the tiniest amount which is all that is necessary. It does not give my skin any more extra sheen than it would have if I never blotted my skin and never fades or streaks throughout the day. It is nothing like many of the slimy silicone blushes - MUF HD crap-blush-in-a-pump comes to mind - which are on the market now. Powder blush or not, oily skin needs a good, non-pigmented setting of high quality powder after applying foundation, which does not mean expensive powder. Look at your ingredients to determine quality. I saw a CoverGirl pressed powder last night - unfortunately it was pigmented - which had oat flour and other great stuff in it. Totally shocked me. That is of far higher quality than the MUF 'HD powder', and far cheaper. In addition, blotting tissues or those Clean n Clear blue blotting sheets which soak up a truckload of oil are enough throughout the day to remove excess skin oils if good powder has been properly applied after initial makeup application. More powder during the day just makes the skin look caked up and pores even more visible on oily skin, even if you're using one of those so-called HD powders, which are nothing but - or mainly - silica. I know this from my own personal experience with oily skin and as a teenager who had acne-prone skin.

Incidentally, all of the products now on the market with 'amazonian clay' (another bullsh*t PR/marketing buzzword, along with 'HD', 'antioxidant', 'paraben-free' and many others) are nothing but products with kaolin clay in their formula, which is a very cheap filler > but not bad for the skin in general, thankfully. Yes, it absorbs *some* oil, but not as much as far better ingredients for oil absorption which last much longer. If you find kaolin is enough for you personally though, you can also use it in a setting powder easily made at home. I personally do not like clay in my powder, whether store-bought or home-made, as the finish is much more heavy-looking and too opaque and also clogs my pores when sitting on my face all day. Besides that, there isn't a powder or blush of any type on the market which will keep the skin completely oil free all day. It's physically impossible as our skin is constantly producing oil as a natural protectant and lubricant/moisturizer.

Yes, I know I rambled, but the info is pretty much all related :) The be all and end all is know your product ingredients, do not believe without questioning and checking for yourself whatever the customer service reps of whatever cosmetics or skin care line tell you, and try both formulations from different brands for yourself - cream and powder - to see what works best for you. There are so many different textures and finishes. You may very well be surprised, as I was, that it IS very possible for a person with oily skin to wear cream blush with no problems of fading, or having additional oil on their face, and that it can look very good as well.

Absolutely. I trust no product label, ever, or any product claims. 'Organic' can mean anything. Feces are organic, technically speaking, and would fit the so-called 'regulations' set out for organic products. However, I sure wouldn't be putting THAT on my face in any lifetime. Even in Canada, the regulations are a joke, and the people who are supposed to be working to protect us allow all sorts of things into the country without actually checking them. Even kids' jewelry which is full of lead and cadmium, things which cause brain damage and death, is in stores across the country. Having a lead neckalace laying against the skin WILL poison a child, and even an adult. Something that is very difficult to reverse, if even at all possible. I'd be more likely to trust skin-care products from the UK before anything North American, alhough even the UK has issues with their product regulations. That's why it is so necessary and absolutely imperative for people - especially women as we buy more of these products in our lives for ourselves and our families than men ever will - to know with certainty what we are putting on our and our families' skin.

Latest posts

Back