Socio-Economics, World Views and Politics

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
'Angry at society'? That is just an ignorant comment. Think about that for a second.....somebody who feels a responsibility towards society, the world they live in, and wants to change it for the better is 'angry at society'? That's not even slightly logical. It's more likely that those who DON'T CARE about the world they live in, who DON'T want to HELP those who need it like the homeless, are the ones that are truly 'angry at society'. Not to mention lazy and heartless. I will be damned if I am just going to sit around and do nothing about the world I live in while shaking my fingers at others and feeling above those who have not had the same opportunities I have had. Unfortunately, that is the attitude of the bulk of people I have met in my life. That it is not THEIR responsibility to do anything about ANYTHING. Not about the homeless guys or women on the street, or anything else that they sit and whine about. Like the 'crime rate', which is something everybody whines about. Yet they are not willing to do anything about the 'crime rate' themselves, like get to know their neighbors, show some responsibility towards any child they know is being abused and report the abuser, show some responsibility to even just the area they live in. Can you imagine how different the world would be if all of us even just showed a little more caring and responsibiltiy towards the people that live *just* on our block? It's not much effort to put out. If we all did that, there would be a massive change in society overall. The crime rate alone would drop drastically, just if we all took that one small step, output a little bit of effort, and changed our attitudes. But the fact is, most people do not care about anything past the end of their own noses. They can't be bothered.  They can't be botheredTTmT

As for the homeless, panhandlers, etc putting women at risk for rape etc, that is a crock of sh*t. I can't even believe you are claiming that LMFAO It is widely known that women/girls in general are FAR MORE at risk to be raped or sexually abused by their own family members, friends, acquaintances, even men they work with, than they are from stragglers on the street. Even homeless women on the street are more at risk of being raped NOT by men on the street, but from those WITH homes that go trolling around looking for victims. You say you looked at my profile, so you should know I myself was on the street through no fault of my own at the age of 13, and I have also worked with street kids organizations, HIV organizations and women's organizations in the past and know the facts regarding rape statistics. Try volunteering for a rape organization and find out for yourself what the reality is. I have seen life from both ends, living as one of the homeless and also having a home, so I think I have a great deal more experience and knowledge about it than you do. When I was posed with the opportunity, I chose to drag myself out of that, but cannot judge those who have not been able to. Everybody has a different background and every person has had different chances in their lives, or lack thereof. I consider myself lucky, because I was able to do that with a lot of hard work. Some others are never able to do it, through no fault of their own, no matter how hard they work. As for your friend who claims they 'followed' a homeless guy to his supposed 'home', how could they possibly know if that was even the guy's home? Did they ask him? Just because I walk into a house doesn't make it MY home. That story sounds like a complete lie to me, one which I have heard many times over from many different people who were making yet more excuses for NOT helping the homeless. A total crock. Sure thing, the guy is actually an undercover millionaire that has nothing better to do than panhandle on the street. Don't be so naive and quick to believe everything you hear second-hand.

As for having alcoholics in the family, I have tonnes of them. Russians love their booze, that's for damn sure. My father died from alcoholism when I was very young and even my mother is still a drunken monkey at the age of 65. I also have many other family members who have used alcohol as a crutch their entire life, such as my sister. Who also happens to be addicted to crack and has been for many years. Once again, I am sheerly *lucky* I do not have an issue with drugs or alcohol, especially with the kind of family I grew up with and the many addicts and abusers that were around me from the time of birth.

As for you saying you CHOOSE not to be homeless, what a laugh. Really? Have you even had to make that choice? Somebody said to you 'You can choose to whom you want to be born, what kind of parents you will have, where in the world you will be born, and the chances you may or may not have throughout your life?' Really?? Do you really think that people on the street were given the CHOICE to be homeless or NOT and they CHOSE to be HOMELESS? What a ridiculous 'theory'. You just happened to get a little luckier than other people and happen to have had better opportunities than people you consider to be lower than you are in your mind. As I said, you may think you 'choose' not to be on the street, homeless. That to me is simply amusing. As I also said, we are all just one personal tragedy away from being on the street ourselves. After spending time with friends in small villages in 3rd world or developing countries, people who can only buy enough food from day to day to feed their kids if they are lucky, I quickly realized that it was just sheer luck on my part that I was not born into the same world they were. I had absolutely nothing to do with it. Not one of us is in a position to judge why those people are there or how they got there. We are, however, in a position to find that out, to take the time to talk to them and to try to be kind to those who are not as lucky as we are. I have taken the time to talk to people are homeless, and have found out that all have had very different life paths and all have ended up there for different reasons. I meet just as many ignorant people who have university educations as there are ignorant people living on the street. As a matter of fact, some of the people I have talked to on the street HAVE university educations, and ended up homeless due to many different factors. I also have a friend in Vancouver whose daughter was murdered some years back, who was doing quite good for himself and was always working making more money than your average Canadian, and ended up homeless after she was killed. He was bipolar to begin with, and his daughter's murder sent him into a massive spiral of depression. One of the nicest guys I have met in my life, wouldn't hurt a fly. He had ONE personal tragedy that nearly destroyed his entire life. Can you even imagine having your own daughter brutally murdered? He had a complete and total pschological breakdown as a result, was unable to work or function even somewhat normally on a day to day basis, ended up on the street because the CRAP CANADIAN system completely failed him. I was born in Canada and have done quite a bit of traveling outside of this country, so there is no need for you to tell me about Canada, thanks. This country and the society in this country both fail its citizens on so many levels it disgusts me. Luckily for him, he met my best friend from childhood who isn't ignornant and discriminatory towards the homeless, and they ended up getting into a relationship about 7 years ago. They moved in together, his bipolar state stabilized as a result, they got married, and he is now working and not homeless any longer. Had he not met her, or somebody else that got to know him as a person and who showed care, concern and HUMANITY towards him, there is no way to know where he would be now. He very well may have been one of the many DEAD homeless.

Unless you have had to live a homeless person's life from birth, step by step and year by year, and deal with their own personal tragedies, you cannot possibly, smugly, say 'I wouldn't have chosen that for myself. I am better than them'. You have NO IDEA where you would have wound up if you would have had to deal with what they have. I have nothing else to say about this as it is pointless to try and change anybody's way of thinking who really doesn't care about the world around them. They will continue to think in the same screwed up, selfish manner and make the same excuses for not caring OR helping. In this case, *I* can't be bothered. My own time is better spent cleaning my toilet, really.

Dear Satojoko,

If I am honest with you I did not read all of what you said.  My English is not the best and it's too late at night for anything that taxing,  From what I read you have much sympathy for homeless people as do I.  A college friend of my Mothers lost his wife long ago he could not cope and was made homeless.  However hard my Mother and Father tried to help him it did not work.  After disappearing and many years on the streets of Paris he got back in touch with my Mother.

He stayed with us in our family home and then she got him a rented aparment.  After his time on the street he could not adjust to normal life again. I agree with you no one chooses to be homeless but perhaps though once you are it is hard to go back maybe the same way with prison?

He died 5 or so years ago he was only 43, like many people who are homeless much to young sadly.

Sorry for my English.

Sophia

I must point out that the Hello Minerals website has bunnies and 'we do not test on animals' plastered all over the website, yet has carmine in some of their products. That's like claiming 'no animal testing' and then putting tallow, gelatin and other animal by products into their products. Just ignorant and plain misleading. Because of that alone, I wouldn't purchase from them. And their flat top brush is Coastal Scents flat top synthetic brush, but Hello is charging approximately $10 more for theirs and claiming 'their brushes' were 'created' for their minerals. Makes it sound like this is their own line of brushes, without them directly claiming that. Again, misleading. We all know that most other indie makeup companies don't normally have their own line of brushes, but I can't say I've seen misleading statements like this on other indie sites. Then there's the mountain of zea mays/corn starch in their products. Not oñly a comedogen - a pore clogging ingredient - but a very good breeding ground for bacteria. They may not have bismuth, but between the corn starch and carmine coupled with their 'cruelty free' claims, etc etc, I'm not feeling any trust in this company. They will tell people what they want to hear, nothing more. I personally do not trust companies like this. If they're dodgey in their marketing, I can see problems down the road with them.

I'm well aware of what it means, but many people - when they hear 'no animal testing'- will mistakenly assume that this is a company that doesn't use animal ingredients. Which is exactly why I said it is misleading. Would they be mistaken in doing so? Yes…but it would still happen. Not everybody reads between the lines. Other companies do list products with carmine in them as not being vegan, therefore making very clear that all their prođucts are not vegan, although they don't do animal testing. I respect companies the are upfront about everything, especially when the vast majority that we all buy products from are not. They're always looking for loopholes to avoid. The bigger the company, the more likely this is to happen. But I'm sure we've all also heard of small online companies claiming their products are eye safe, etc, when in fact the opposite was found to be true. Total truth and clàrity in advertising is important to all consumers. And I say that as a former owner of my own restaurant, manufacturing skin care products, soap, etc. If I omit facts, it's on my own head when customers come back to me and are p1ssed because I chose to withhold or beñd the truth. It reminds me of when I first moved overseas and would order vegetarian food, when I was still a vegetarian. I'd start eating and think 'I can taste fish/meat/etc'. I would ask again, is the food vegetarian? The would insist it was. But when I asked, 'was this dish cooked with fish, etc?' they'd say YES! SO how is that vegetarian? They would say, 'we took the meat out and only gave you the vegetarian part'. Or 'only vegetables, Miss. But we put sauce on'. And what was the 'sauce' from? Fish curry! DOH!

I think that you have completely misunderstood my issues with this company, and regarding them claiming 'no animal testing' and the fact that their products contain animal ingredients, etc. Actually, I know you have. See how easily a misunderstanding can occur? Exactly my point. Does that imply stupidity on your part, anymore than you implied I was displaying stupidity? I doubt you would see it that way. I never once said I had a problem with carmine, you assumed tÄ¥at. AnÄ‘ yes, I use a lot of silk powder. Pearl powder, too. I also have purchased products with carmine in them and use them regularly. I love my leather bags, shoes and jackets, and do eat meat, fish, eggs and poultry, and use beeswax and sometimes emu oil in my own products when i feel it will make a product more effective or better quality. So I have no idea where you got the idea that I'm against all animal products/ingredients from, or why you're so hot ànd bothered about it. My issue is with truth in advertising regarding ingredients, company practices and ethics, and being 100% honest with customers, leaving as little room as possible for them to be mislead or for misunderstandings to occur. It's called 'good business practices'. Most customers will eventually choose not to purchase products from a company once they feel they can't trust them, or choose to never become their customer. Perfectly normal and understandable. Just as a test, I called a couple friends and asked them if they would assume that a compàny which made a claim of 'no animal testing' would not have animal ingredients in their products. Every single one said YES, OF COURSE. 7 people, plus myself and my husband. Are we all mental midgets? I have also seen other people become very upset when tÄ¥ey find out a mineral makeup company is repackaging and selling unmixed pigments. Others don't worry about it so much. Are either of those people displaying 'stupidity'? I also said I USED TO BE a vegetarian, and the vast majority - if not all people - in the country I moved to (I did say 'overseas') don't even understànd what being a vegetarian really means, never mind vegan, pescatarian, etc. They don't have a clue. Even run of the mill vegetarians are beyond rare there and are often thought of as abnormal people who will end up starving to death if they don't get some meat into themselves. The person said they were a 'newbie' to mineral makeup and asked for assistance, and also mentioned she had ingredient concerns, therefore she may not be aware of the issues I stated. If she is, great, and no harm done to her. If not, she just learned something about shopping for mineral makeup: be aware of company claims, that there is a difference between products not being tested on animals and thê possibility that they may contain animal ingredients, that the same brushes can be gotten cheaper elsewhere, that carmine is an 'animal' ingredient - insect, actually - and that corn starch can breed bacteria and be a comedogen. These things may not be an issue for you, but definite issues for others. That hardly makes anybody - including them OR myself - stupid. Just because somebody sees/has concerns with a company/proÄ‘uct/etc, whatever that may be, that you choose not to or are unable tÅ recognize the same issues with, does not make the other person more or less intelligent than you. None Åf us is infallible or superior to others. She did ask for info, of which I participated in. This conversation, however, I don't see the point in. You may think I'm 'blowing things out of proportion', 'stupid', whatever insult you choose to hurl at me. You're free to do so, although I don't see how it benefits you in any way. Especially as a forum moderator. Can't say I've ever seen a moderator insult forum participants, for any reason. Kinda Ä‘oesn't match the job description.

Latest posts

Back