What kinda foundation for acne prone skin?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have used Maybelline wonder for pretty a while. Lately, I have some clogged pores and many bad pimples on my face. It upsets me a lot. My face is combo, shiny on nose and chin. I wonder I should use liquid foundation, powder foundation, or just loose or pressed powder? Which one would you recommend for acne prone face? Or should I stop make up completely?!!

I have acne prone, oily skin, and I love Revlon's Colorstay foundation. In fact, when I don't wear it, I break out. It's noncomedegenic which means it won't clog pores. It really helps control my breakouts and oily skin. (And the coverage is great!!)

You're better off using liquid foundation for oily skin, because you can use as much or as little powder as you need to set it. Compact Foundation is good, but it's trickier to set it with powder, even though it goes on more matte. Touch-ups make powder foundation look "cake-y". I have oily skin (with No dry spots), and I always have to powder throughout the day. As for foundations, I use Prescriptives Virtual Matte and have recently tried Prescriptives Flawless (which I like, too). The Virtual Matte is perfect for me for winter, and I'll probably use Flawless more for the summer (the coverage is lighter than the VM). HTH.

I also have Acne Prone Skin and use MAC Studio Fix, I know some ladies here don't like it much but I don't brake up from it but then again I don't use it everyday.

There are certain things you HAVE to find out if you are looking for a foundation that won't break you out. It has to be oil-free, non-comedogenic, and/or non-acnegenic. Even if a product is non-c or non-a if CAN still break you out, but it doesn't have any ingredients that will specifically break you out, you skin just doesn't like it.

I know MAC's foundations are non-comedogenic, so that might be a great place to start. Also I would recommend some oil-blotting sheets rather than pressed or loose powder to suck up oil...

Maybelline Wonder Finish also claims their product noncomedegenic. That's why I bought it;however, it still breaks me out. There is no gurantee, really depends on skin and luck. I have considered several brands Lauar Mercier, Nars, Stila and Prescriptives liquid foundation. I think Prescriptives so far is the "safest" make up I can count on. I'm so afraid of MAC face products as I heard many of them have break out after using it. I don't want any additional disgusting acnes on my face any more!!!!:icon_twis

SamanthaBNYC, do you use loose powder after the foundation? What brand do you use?

maryfitz24, what kinda of mineral make up u use? How good is it to the skin?

I think Prescriptives would probably be a good place to start...I use Lancome's Teint Idole Ultra, and my skin actually looks better the next day, after using it. I think it has a high amount of titanium dioxide, which might have something to do with it. It stays longer than any other makeup I've tried, although, I haven't gotten around to trying out any of the Prescriptives formulas, and I apply vitamin E oil underneath it, so it's a real testament to it's staying power.

My Prescriptives Custom Blend is oil free and I havent had a break out because of it. I actually prefer a bit of oil in my foundations though, it gives my skin a better flawless finish.

Try prescriptives foundation. They have a really great line for oily skin. And they have a great line for problematic skin types. Head over to the counter and ask for samples.

my left face rite now has a deeeeeeeep and big sore pimple that was caused by the toxic foundation. Thanks to maph telling me the cool website. :clap I am also interested in BE make up. Is it hard to blend the right color? Every time when u do make up , you have to spend time on mixing the right color? Is it easy to use?

Thanks for everybody useful advice! I might also check on Prescriptives this weekend.

My dermatologist always insisted that Prescriptives was the only "true" noncomedogenic makeup and made me wear their foundation, concealor, and powder. However I have found drugstore products that work for me, but my current foundation was just discontinued :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

As for powder, my dermatologist also insisted that I use only loose powder -- the wax and/or oils used to press pressed powders into the compact can clog your pores. (However there are some girls on this site that say there are some non-comedogenic pressed powders...) But as Leila said, some non-comedogenic products may still break you out and/or cause an allergic reation, but you'll have a better chance of having a noncomedogenic or nonacnegenic foundation working for you than just an oil-free or regular foundation. (Oil-free products do not have oils but may still contain ingredients that clog pores.)

If you have a problem with oily, shiny skin, I highly recommend CoverGirl's Professional Loose Powder (keeps my face matte longer than any department store brand powder I've tried!) and blotting sheets for touch-ups (I use Clean and Clear) -- they soak up the oil without messing up your mu! Because simply applying more and more powder to hide the oil makes your face look pretty "muddy" after a while!

I have a lot more acne info in my notepad if you're interested!

Today I finally tried 3 foundation.

Lauer Mericer oil-free foundation: Good coverage, comfortable texture, matte finish and a little thick texture for me. Therefore I didn't buy it.

Biotherm Sense Hydra-Radiance Foundation SPF15

Normal to Combination Skin: light texture, radiant look and good price. However, I am not sure it will break me out or not. I'm afraid to buy at this time as my face is prone to acne.

Px Flawless skin: Great texture, very smooth and leave on the skin like my second skin . Finish with radiant and poreless look!!!! I love it!!! Medium coverage but you can build it on full coverage if you want to . Compare with the above brands, I couldn't stop to buy it right away when I tried this one. I put my confidence on this bet and I hope it won't break me out.

For Biotherm lovers, Aquasource package with cleanser and toner is sold at $32!!!!!!!!!!! Just 1 buck more than the original price of aquasource. I planned to buy clinique dramtically different hydrating gel but I changed my mind because of the great sale of aquasource package.

I bought the Chanel Twinkle Glossimer. I love that unique golden peach look on lip and nothing else can replace that!!!!

I would go with Neutrogena or Almay. I use Almay Clear Complexion, but they have several varieties. Neither seem to have a wide range of shades, so hopefully if you do try it you can find one for you. I know at Walgreens if you don't like it you can return it.

Almay has Amazing Lasting® 16 Hour Makeup

Doesn’t smudge off! Stays on up to 16 touch-up-free hours with skin-caring Vitamins A, E and SPF 6. Looks amazingly natural, feels light. Oil-free to let skin breathe. Hypo-Allergenic, Non-Comedogenic and 100% Fragrance Free. Clinically, Dermatologist and Allergy Tested.

I use Merle Norman aqua base foundation. I have used it since highschool. I have had skin problems as well. This is oil free. Good lunck:icon_chee

A lot of girls on this site have complained that Studiofix broke them out... but apparently it works for some people or Mac would quit selling it!

Latest posts

Back