Makeup for Asians?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, since I'm Asian, I've found that a lot of products don't really look right on me, and I can't really do normal smokey eyes because of the shape of my eyes (Asian eyes are different from Western eyes in general).

I'm just wondering what kinds of colors, and maybe products do you recommend for someone with fairly dark golden-brown skin.

I know for sure that colors like red just look sort of wrong, and anything that's supposed to be a "nude" color makes me look washed out.

Hey! I'm only half and my Japanese family has very wide eyes naturally, so this may not help at all, but I use all of the colors other people use and just compliment my eye shape by widening the, further. Darker colors on the outer corners, highlighting inner corners, always make liner heavier on outer corners than inner or dont line inner corner at all, nice long falsies (I have horrible short lashes Haha), etc. I avoid doing anything that weighs down my eyes, makes them beady, or accentuates how narrow they are. If you want to see some examples of looks I've done you can look at the eye looks I've posted on here and on my blog. Hope that helps!

Purples look amazing on dark brown eyes.  Lash growth product such as revitalash or rapidlash, even Loreal Lash boosting Serum work to grow lashes to a visable length.  I only line the top of my eye and not the bottom.  I also don't wear mascara on the bottom.  

Originally Posted by Paradoxismminnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, since I'm Asian, I've found that a lot of products don't really look right on me, and I can't really do normal smokey eyes because of the shape of my eyes (Asian eyes are different from Western eyes in general).

I'm just wondering what kinds of colors, and maybe products do you recommend for someone with fairly dark golden-brown skin.

I know for sure that colors like red just look sort of wrong, and anything that's supposed to be a "nude" color makes me look washed out.
Take a look at Shiseido's products since it's a Japanese makeup company that was made primarily for Asian skin. From there you can match colors from other cosmetic lines to your own skintone but you might have to buy foundation from their line OR get a color correcting kit to fix other brands.

Do you have a monolid or a double ?  I personally love wearing colors of all kinds.  I find that purple and blue/teal look best one me.

Originally Posted by DJMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey! I'm only half and my Japanese family has very wide eyes naturally, so this may not help at all, but I use all of the colors other people use and just compliment my eye shape by widening the, further. Darker colors on the outer corners, highlighting inner corners, always make liner heavier on outer corners than inner or dont line inner corner at all, nice long falsies (I have horrible short lashes Haha), etc. I avoid doing anything that weighs down my eyes, makes them beady, or accentuates how narrow they are.

If you want to see some examples of looks I've done you can look at the eye looks I've posted on here and on my blog. Hope that helps!

Hm..my eyes aren't actually particularly "narrow" in proportion.  They're just really small D:.  Here's a somewhat bad picture of them: http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj248/Par-a-doxismminant/spd-19.jpg .  I know I look cross-eyed, but that basically gives a good idea of my eyeshape.   Looks like I need to go out and buy some eyeliner D:

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Purples look amazing on dark brown eyes.  Lash growth product such as revitalash or rapidlash, even Loreal Lash boosting Serum work to grow lashes to a visable length.  I only line the top of my eye and not the bottom.  I also don't wear mascara on the bottom.  

Hmm, but how do they look against dark, golden brown skin?

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Take a look at Shiseido's products since it's a Japanese makeup company that was made primarily for Asian skin. From there you can match colors from other cosmetic lines to your own skintone but you might have to buy foundation from their line OR get a color correcting kit to fix other brands.

Interesting...I'm just wondering, is there a way to sort of be able to tell which shade to choose over the internet?  And how's their return/exchange policy?

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you have a monolid or a double ?  I personally love wearing colors of all kinds.  I find that purple and blue/teal look best one me.

I've got a double one c:  I think there's a picture of it in the above post? c:

Originally Posted by Paradoxismminnt /img/forum/go_quote.gifInteresting...I'm just wondering, is there a way to sort of be able to tell which shade to choose over the internet?  And how's their return/exchange policy?

If you live in the States then head to the mall, most stores like Macy's sell their products. Easier to see in person than online.

you have eyes similar to mine :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Ohh, cool >w<

And do you have any special tricks or anything like that?  The main thing I've noticed for me is that although everyone says to put a light shade on the browbone, it tends to look very strange.  Do you do that?

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you live in the States then head to the mall, most stores like Macy's sell their products. Easier to see in person than online.
That's true.  I'll see if the local mall carries them.  I was just wondering because I live on a small island and many stores don't have products around here.

Originally Posted by Paradoxismminnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ohh, cool >w<

And do you have any special tricks or anything like that?  The main thing I've noticed for me is that although everyone says to put a light shade on the browbone, it tends to look very strange.  Do you do that?
I do that sometimes.  mostly I take a nude shimmer colored pencil and smudges it under my eyebrows.   I sometimes keep the colors to where my crease is and sometimes i'll take the colors to where the crease would be on non asians ...if that makes sense...  If i take color above my crease I fade it out with a fluffy blending brush

I do that sometimes.  mostly I take a nude shimmer colored pencil and smudges it under my eyebrows.   I sometimes keep the colors to where my crease is and sometimes i'll take the colors to where the crease would be on non asians ...if that makes sense...  If i take color above my crease I fade it out with a fluffy blending brush
I know what you mean c:.  By the crease on non-Asians, you mean where the curve of your eyeball meets the socket, right? c:

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

EnKore has a really amazing video on makeup for asian lids/hooded lids: 

I used his tips on my latest bridal client!

*Also Note there is a part 1 AND 2 to his vids...both are totally worth it!

Hehe your picture is cute! I have an olive complexion with yellow undertones. I find that everything but pastel yellow and some reds look really great with my skin tone. When I worked in retail cosmetics we were taught that anyone can where just about any color, but placement and shape is most important. I can't pull shadow way up beyond my crease without blending it out really well because my eyes aren't big enough to support the drama. Everything I do while applying my shadow is really focused on defining and widening my eyes. I think if you play around with basic looks you'll learn how best to work with your eyes in particular :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Be confident! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm Chinese and have very small lid space. I'm still trying to figure out how to do the eye makeup that's suitable for us Asian girls.

What I found helpful for me is to get your hands on some Asian beauty magazines, they have tons of makeup tutorials with all Asian models.

Also, check out YouTube 'gurus' that are Asian, for example, some of my favorites are:

xteeener

http://www.youtube.com/user/xteeener

iamgrape1119
http://www.youtube.com/user/iamgrape1119

frmheadtotoe
http://www.youtube.com/user/frmheadtotoe

hollyannaeree
http://www.youtube.com/user/hollyannaeree

Originally Posted by DJMM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe your picture is cute! I have an olive complexion with yellow undertones. I find that everything but pastel yellow and some reds look really great with my skin tone. When I worked in retail cosmetics we were taught that anyone can where just about any color, but placement and shape is most important. I can't pull shadow way up beyond my crease without blending it out really well because my eyes aren't big enough to support the drama. Everything I do while applying my shadow is really focused on defining and widening my eyes. I think if you play around with basic looks you'll learn how best to work with your eyes in particular
smile.gif
Be confident!
smile.gif

>w<

My eyes are small as well...nicely shaped, but very small.  From experience, does wearing eyeliner on top and on the outer half of the bottom make your eyes looks smaller?

Latest posts

Back