Fake or Not (MAC)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I do not own much of MAC products except for two eyeliners.  Recently my colleaque gave me a contact of a lady who sells MAC cosmetics who sells them at a reasonable price, not so overpriced as the MAC counters.  I was quite excited cos I was eyeing the studio fix foundation powder and some blushes for a long time.  So I met her last friday and bought these items: Mascaras, Lady Gaga eye pallette, two lipsticks, glittering eyeliner, glossy pallete lip colours, studio fix powder foundation.  I was a happy person I paid about 100 plus dollars and went home. I did ask her if the products are original she said yes they are.   

When I was at home I was looking through my products and suddently I was wondering what if the cosmetics were fake, so how do I know if they were fake.  I just did not want to put rubbish on my face...so wat do you ladies think or any advices to give.

Thank you

emma 

Definitely take pictures of the products and do some research, there are lots of websites that will compare fake vs real MAC so you can figure out if yours is the real deal :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Easiest way to determine if it's fake or not is to look at the weight. 99.99999% of fakes are not the same weight as legitimate MAC products. Here's another way, if it's a palette or kit it's probably a fake. Example, of a fake MAC palette:

You said you bought a "glossy pallete lip colours"... which makes me ask "what's that?" Was it something like

If so it's a fake. MAC has NEVER made anything like that. (Those curious I found that on a MAC "wholesale" site.) Like others have asked please post photos of what you bought. Take a pic of the UPC, the weight and as much of the packaging as you can for each item. That would help us give you a better answer. As Annette also pointed out there are sites dedicated to help people determine if what they bought is fake or not.

i see ads like this on craigslist all the time, and was considering calling one of the ladies up but i don't know enough about mac to identify a fake. i really hope you didn't get ripped off. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

you can post the pictures of the items you bought so we can see if those are real or knock-offs.

Originally Posted by emmy2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi ladies,

I do not own much of MAC products except for two eyeliners.  Recently my colleaque gave me a contact of a lady who sells MAC cosmetics who sells them at a reasonable price, not so overpriced as the MAC counters.  I was quite excited cos I was eyeing the studio fix foundation powder and some blushes for a long time.  So I met her last friday and bought these items: Mascaras, Lady Gaga eye pallette, two lipsticks, glittering eyeliner, glossy pallete lip colours, studio fix powder foundation.  I was a happy person I paid about 100 plus dollars and went home. I did ask her if the products are original she said yes they are.   

When I was at home I was looking through my products and suddently I was wondering what if the cosmetics were fake, so how do I know if they were fake.  I just did not want to put rubbish on my face...so wat do you ladies think or any advices to give.

Thank you

emma 
I am just going to give you the straight answer yes hun, they are fake.. I know because I sale those also I do not say they are real though I let everyone know they are fake & it is there decision to buy no complaints so far, but yes they are fake any one that sales M.A.C not in the store believe me it's fake.. But these places are getting really better at making products look as real as the REAL M.A.C...

I know what you mean- I've lived in China for a year and bought almost a hundred "Dolce and Gabbana" belts- I thought they were real but I was like 11 XD

Usually the packaging itself differs in some way- even the tiniest details matter. I agree with Zadi on weight.

Zadi, no it is not this kind of pallette...i will take pics soon and post..

thanks dear

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Easiest way to determine if it's fake or not is to look at the weight. 99.99999% of fakes are not the same weight as legitimate MAC products. Here's another way, if it's a palette or kit it's probably a fake. Example, of a fake MAC palette:

You said you bought a "glossy pallete lip colours"... which makes me ask "what's that?" Was it something like

If so it's a fake. MAC has NEVER made anything like that. (Those curious I found that on a MAC "wholesale" site.) Like others have asked please post photos of what you bought. Take a pic of the UPC, the weight and as much of the packaging as you can for each item. That would help us give you a better answer. As Annette also pointed out there are sites dedicated to help people determine if what they bought is fake or not.

Sad to say, but I think all of it is fake :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> That Studio Fix container looks very different from mine. Also, that tube of mascara looks like a L'Oreal tube with MAC printed on it. Strange.

To start with it's ALL fake. Don't buy if you haven't done so already. If you have contact the police and file a report because it IS against the law to sell counterfits. They won't arrest her but they can follow up on it if they have a division that goes out after people who sell counterfits. In my area there is such a team in the police dept because of the local flea market and there are two to three counterfit busts each year.

M•A•C has NEVER sold a double extension mascara.

M•A•C NEVER EVER sold lip glosses like this. EVER.

M•A•C NEVER comes with sponge applicators. And they don't imprint their name into the product like that. IF they were to imprint their logo it would be as M•A•C not MAC.

The case looks wrong as M•A•C cases tend to be more rounded. The weight seems to be correct 15 g / .52 oz but the case looks wrong.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/mac-studio-fix-powder-plus-foundation?ID=106402&CategoryID=45681#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D35%26ruleId%3D2%26slotId%3D5

Like I and others have said, it's all fake. Don't buy. If you have then file a report with the police.

Hi barbie,

ya I was kinda ready for the answer, I just did not know about it...I knew of a make shift store at my area where she sellss MAC stuff, i know that they are fake cos its very cheap...ONce I bought an eyeliner and my eyes irritated for a while and i threw it away.  Lesson learnt from this incident though.  Thanks dear.

Originally Posted by jdmbarbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am just going to give you the straight answer yes hun, they are fake.. I know because I sale those also I do not say they are real though I let everyone know they are fake & it is there decision to buy no complaints so far, but yes they are fake any one that sales M.A.C not in the store believe me it's fake.. But these places are getting really better at making products look as real as the REAL M.A.C...

Haha yea tell me about it...yday I was at a loreal counter and i saw the same kind of mascara...thanks for the headsup dear...I got fooled though by that lady.

Originally Posted by GirlyEnthusiast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sad to say, but I think all of it is fake :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> That Studio Fix container looks very different from mine. Also, that tube of mascara looks like a L'Oreal tube with MAC printed on it. Strange.

Zadi,

I have already bought the items sad to say.  I did not make any report cos people are buying from her and she is doing a business out of it...people like me who believed and bought it is to be blamed.  Anyway lesson learnt, I wanted to get cheap deal for a high end product and end up being fooled...Lucky I did not buy alot of stuff cos it was really tempting..she wanted to let me pay in installment but I didnt want cos I dun know her at all...blessing in disguise. 

Thanks to all the sweeties out there.

Haha yea letica, I nvr saw that pallette at all not even in here. 

Originally Posted by internetchick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very fake emmy. Also, MAC never made a Lady Gaga eye palette.

If she's selling to lots of people you SHOULD report it because it's not fair to those seeking real M•A•C to pay so much for fakes but the choice is ultimately yours.

Latest posts

Back