MAC vs. Sephora

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 I like both actually. Mac is kinda my first choice, but if they dont have what im looking for I'll go to Sephora. I find customer service at both enjoyable.

Originally Posted by stevenjoseph /img/forum/go_quote.gif

MAC or Sephora?

Which store do you prefer based on cosmetics selection and customer service?
Cosmetic selection: Sephora as they carry not only their own line but other lines as well.

Customer service: Sephora, I've been to two in Las Vegas and of course the one in my town and each time I go in I get excellent service. At MAC I'm typically ignored.

Quality: Sephora cosmetics or MAC, MAC's shadows are better but everything else is equal. I don't buy Sephora shadows and I don't by MAC shadows or any other MAC products due to the cost. I'll stick with Urban Decay, LORAC, Kat Von D, Wet 'n' Wild, Coastal Scents and Fyrinnae for shadows.

I think I prefer Sephora because you're not limited to 1 brand.  You get a much wider variety.  As for customer service I've never been to an actual MAC store but I did wander into the MAC section in Macy's and was completely ignored.

I am devoted to....BOTH!!! I am a MAC addict and a MAC Pro, but sometimes I need to venture out...and MAC's primers for lips and eyes just do not suit me, so I go to Sephora because I can get primers by other companies that are better than what MAC offers for my needs....

MACs quality has been slowly going down hill lately so I've been trying other brands more. LOVE Make Up For Ever at Sephora!  Their #92 matte purple is the most amazing purple on the market.  MUFE eyeshadows blend so incredibly well too.  Love their Aqua Creams and Aqua Liners but VERY disappointed that their highly anticipated Smoky Palette isn't going to be released in the US afterall.  Urban Decay eyeliner pencils are great too and I can't live without UDPP.

Sephora.

I love MAC lipsticks,eyeshadows and many of their products but I hate the wannabe makeupartists who work there. My pet peeve are biddies who try to force their opinion on you. Alot of my darker skinned/lighter skinned african american friends said each time when they go to mac they always recommend NC45! as if all black people are to use that foundation! When you go to mac, you better know what youre buying and doing! they get intimadted when they see your face look perfection! but when you dunno what you want or what suits you..thats how they play with you. Get you some muddy/dark/orangey foundation or push thier horrible makeup skills on you.

I do makeup professioanlly, so I see through them. They dont phase me.

Sephora is great when it comes to variety but they still have biddies working the counters! AGAIN, you have to know what you wan tand what you like on yourself If youre there for a certain foundaion..GET IT! dont go there not knowing what to do! I just laugh to myself when I see some poor soul ask them what looks best on them.

Of course I dont wanna generalize, but the ones I see..are despicable. I dont even know how they got hired.

I like both Sephora and MAC as I buy different things from each of them. I agree with the fact that some artists don't know much, but there are some knowledgeable ones at both. I find that in a lot of cases, caucasian (sorry no racism intended) girls recommend the wrong shades for me, so I tend to look out for the asian sales associates.

One of the artists at MAC recommended me the studiofix fluid and I have to admit it's my favorite and HG foundation, but I have heard that with that foundation, it's a hit or miss. The asian sales associate recommended the perfect shade for me, but I forgot my wallet that day. Next day I go back, a different artist matches me and gives me a shade too dark. Sometimes, you have to find an artist with similar skin tone or type to understand your needs.

Overall, I like different things from different stores, usually I do go makeup shopping with a brand in mind and just have to match shades.

Sephora all the way, not only because they have excellent customer service, but because the range of things that can be found there is incredible. I love that they carry different brands, its hard going in and getting out without buying anything. Another thing is that they have a lot of items from the brands that are exclusive for Sephora, and they sell pretty cool bundle packs. I do love, MAC lipsticks and some of the eyeshadows, but recently their formulas are just not working for me, and every time that I go in I try to speak to someone and they hide from me, and if I ask for suggestions on my skin, it seems like I know much more than they do. 

I get good service at both Sephora and MAC. I find MAC testers, displays and such tend to be a lot cleaner, fresher and well-kept - for that reason, MAC wins. But I do love the selection Sephora has. I also trust MAs at MAC taking a brush to my face, more so than the ladies at Sephora. In the city, there's really only one store where the ladies are consistently wearing well-applied makeup that isn't basic - the mall locations are a different story. It's comparing apples to oranges, though, really. I wouldn't choose one over the other.

honestly, i was just at MAC and Sephora yesterday, and I can say that I had much friendlier service at Sephora.  (I actually returned my MAC stuff that I had picked up.)  The MAC girls were really snotty and didn't even offer to help me with anything.  I had to ask for what I wanted to see.  At Sephora, the beauty consultants were all so friendly, especially one in particular who was trying NARS products on with me and we were talking about Illamasqua and how we wished it was sold here.  She was so sweet.  I'd rather buy from someone friendly than someone stuff up like at MAC that makes me feel like I'm not good enough to wear their products.  Don't get me wrong I like MAC products, but I'll be sticking to ordering online

oh me too. everytime at the MAC counter i'm ignored. 

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I prefer Sephora because you're not limited to 1 brand.  You get a much wider variety.  As for customer service I've never been to an actual MAC store but I did wander into the MAC section in Macy's and was completely ignored.

For sure Sephora!! SO much more selection!! Tons of awesome makeup brands, plus nail polish, hair care and skin care?? No contest for me. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Plus I love the point perks... I've got 500 points and I'm just waiting for the perfect 500 point perk to come in store for me to snap it up!

I agree actually Sephora has so much more choice! Used to love mac but i've realised how good sephora is!

Though Sephora has bigger collection of products I would choose MAC because I have been a fan of them for a long time.

Sephora all around!  I had a MAC phase, but after trying so many other great brands I realize it's more of a status symbol then anything.  The eyeshadows lack good pigment imo.

I find each place has it's pros and cons. I can't say anything about service because that's on an employee by employee basis and is different from store to store. I find my self in Sephora more often, as that store encourages me to look around and see what is available and try new things. Going into MAC there might be a single display of the seasonal product, but everything else is pretty much the same. 

Though I couldn't live without my MAC Studio Tech foundation...

Latest posts

Back