Blush, foundation, etc. for skin with yellow undertones?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! 

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good makeup brands & colors for skin with yellow undertones.  I'm half asian and a lot of the stuff I buy ends up looking off on my skin.  I've given up for now on finding a blush that doesn't look too silly and pink on me.. I've just been using a little bit of shimmery bronzer on my cheeks for the past year, but would love to find a good blush. Some advice I read online said to look at NARS or Shiseido for yellow/olive skin, but their products are so expensive!  Any suggestions are much appreciated 
smile.gif

A coral coloured blush is good for yellow toned skin.  What exact colour would depend on the individual because you can be super pale or tan.  I'm a beige neutral.  

This is what I've used. I'm currently not using Skin79 right now because I'm out. I've been using a Laura Geller product instead and really don't care too much for it. Guess I got use to the BB cream.

Primer: Skin79 Super Plus though any primer should work, I've used Skin79 mini set and ended up liking it ($29.99)

You can get the mini set on Amazon.com for under $10 with shipping.

Foundation: Coastal Scents Exotic Skin sampler ($4.99)

Blush: Laura Geller Baked Blush-n-Brighten in Apricot Berry ($29.50).

Lips: I tend to fall for a "Bronze Berry" color whether it's Wet 'n' Wild's 568 Bronze Berry or Sephora's Bronze Berry (discontinued). If I'm wearing a red it's lately been Milani's Candy Apple Red.

Mascara: Lately I've been using whatever I have be it blinc or Rimmel London.

Liner: I typically use black liner be it liquid, marker, cream or pencil.

Shadows: I tend to use browns, golds and greens and even dark gray and black.

I just bought a new foundation today because I was tired of the pink in EVERY single foundation I've bought.  I have straight yellow undertone.  I went into Ulta got a color match and bought (for the first time ever) bare minerals foundation.  It's a perfect match.

I have the same problem. I could find drugstore foundations that matched my skin tone but they always looked kind of ashy because it masked my yellow undertones. A year ago I tried the MAC studio fix fluid in NC 30, perrrrfect match and it's now my HG foundation. There's always mixed reviews about MAC foundations but I like the fact that they separate between NW and NC (definitely choose NC since you're more yellow toned), but you can go in and ask for a sample or ask one of the girls to put it on you to see if it works for you. When it works, it's terrific. I like it even more than the MUFE HD foundation.

I also really like MAC's concealers because again, you can differentiate between NC and NW so you don't have to use a one tone match all kind of a thing.

I have the same issue also. I'm looking for some inexpensive products. Trying to find a good foundation and concealer has been hard

I know exactly what you mean! I have a hard time finding that perfect foundation that isn't too pink in the undertones without going high end...I use the Mac Studio Fix in NC15 which is the most amazing shade on me! I have some slight yellow undertones as well, so finding the perfect blush is hard. You want to stick with peaches and corals. One blush that I love is the Sugarbomb from Benefit. It's really pricey though, at $28, which I'm still not sure is worth the price, but I heard that the Hard Candy Fox in a Box is a much cheaper dupe (available at Wal-Mart, I believe).  Sugarbomb is a balance between pink, mauve, bronze, and peach...bringing out the best shades of your skin. I'd recommend trying it!  My other favorite blush is called True Peach II, which is from Maybelline. It's a mineral blush, but is an amazing color! =) Hope this helps...!

Originally Posted by Lilbit82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the same issue also. I'm looking for some inexpensive products. Trying to find a good foundation and concealer has been hard

if you're going drugstore I would suggest true match or fit me

I also have problems finding foundations for yellow undertones. bareMinerals has foundations indicated for golden undertones. I use "golden medium" which is a perfect match for me. I'm also using a tinted moisturizer from Josie Maran in butter which I've also found is good for golden undertones as well. Also tried this TM in linen, but that was too a little too warm/dark for me.

I'm also looking for suggestions for drugstore makeup that would be good for golden undertones. bareMinerals is decently priced but if I can find a more affordable product that works just as good if not better and comes in golden shades, I would be sold.

Thank you!! All of these suggestions are very helpful.  I normally don't go for some of these higher end products (MAC, Laura Geller) but I'm thinking maybe I should go for it since you get to test the products out, and let's be real, the amount I spend on several products from the drugstore that aren't the right color is almost equal to one more expensive product anyway!

Buff'd minerals has few yellow undertones mineral powder..it is one of the few  mineral makeup I rec..

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

if you buy the wrong color from the drugstore you know you can return it right?
Depends on the store. Walgreens and RiteAid have 100% guarantees but some stores like Target and Walmart refuse to do exchanges or returns unless the product was defective.

Try Shu Uemura or Shiseido. A brand that's made in Asia will suit your skin tone. Otherwise, Dior's Diorskin range is pretty damn awesome too! It's my HG foundation for now. 

xoxo,

Roxanne

Iman cosmetics and Black Opal have products for yellow tone. Their products are not just for African Americans; Iman makes makeup geared for Black, Latin, and Asian skin tones. Asian skin usually falls in the Sand shades (Iman and Black Opal). Give it a try, you might like it.

Thanks for all the additional suggestions, I am checking these out online.  

I buy makeup more from target or walmart than from drugstores so maybe that's why I didn't know about the money back guarantee!  So even if you've used maybe 1/4 of the product, they'll take it back for a refund?  Is this for makeup or for skincare products too? 

as a general rule, look for makeup that has warm undertones rather than cool undertones--it'll end up looking ashy on your skin (like Too Faced's Naked Eye). if you want to highlight your eyes or cheeks, look for peachy or golden colors rather than pink. Your blush doesn't necessarily need to scream pink to look good--I have NARS' Sertao and it's a beautiful blush/highlighter.

In terms of foundations, avoid Urban Decay--all the one's I've tried weren't meant for skin with yellow undertones. Skin79 BB Cream is great, as Zadidoll mentioned--it's inexpensive too (try amazon.com). If you want heavier coverage, try Maybelline's Fit Me liquid foundation--I have yellow undertones but the 125 worked fine for me.

Latest posts

Back