Why do we wear makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this after reading the thread about whether you regret wearing makeup.  It seems like the obvious answer to why the typical woman wears makeup is "to be more attractive." But I read a poll recently where male respondents said they preferred women with less makeup on their faces.  Less foundation, less eye makeup, and even less lipstick or lip gloss, because when there's a lot of stuff on our lips all they think about is whether it's gonna rub off on them.  So why do we still wear lots of product?  Is it because we enjoy it?  I personally enjoy putting it on some days, but most days it feels like a chore- especially the boring parts like foundation.   Is it to impress other women, so they'll see we're skilled/put together when it comes to putting together a makeup look?  I know some say that women only bother to spend extra for name brand handbags, shoes, etc. to impress other women, because men couldn't care less and the shopping experience is the same whether it's a $1,000 bag or a $100 bag.  So maybe that's the reason...?  Of course there's no one answer for everyone, but I think it's interesting to think about and wonder what really motivates the majority of women who put on lots of makeup each morning (like me)! 

The main reason why I wear makeup is I want to enhance my features. Makeup makes a person look more polished and neat. I love how little makeup can make me look better :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For me it's all about self-expression.  I've said for a long time that putting on makeup is an artform, it's like a grown up version of a kid's coloring book. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Like everyone I else, I have days where all I manage is a quick go-to face and out the door, but I truly do much more enjoy the days that I sit down at my makeup desk and just play, experiment, or even go to a favorite color combo that I know looks great.

For me, I put on makeup because initially, I had very bad skin and had to cover it up. But as my complexion got better, I realised I fell in love with makeup in general and now I like putting it on because it makes me look different each time I use different kinds of products and colours. One minute I can be a sexy siren, another I can be a girl-next-door. Same face, different looks. So, you can say it's something like living a fairy tale where I get to play many types of characters without having to change who I am inside. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

xoxo,

Roxanne

It makes me feel better about myself.  Everyone is beautiful, but I think it helps to enhance my favorite features.

The poll you mentioned isn't necessarily a counterargument against wearing makeup. It's only natural men would prefer less makeup: it means what they see isn't all smoke and mirrors, it's natural--long lashes, even skin, perfect brows, defined eyes, etc.

I don't think "guys like less makeup" necessarily means they'd like the above girl to not wear makeup, but rather look more like the left side naturally (like it's all real)--am I making sense? Plus, some girls tend to overdo it on makeup:

But I don't wear makeup for guys--I wear it not only to maintain my appearance/blend in with my environment, but also to express myself. Not making any effort on your appearance whatsoever can make you look unprofessional, or just kind of out of touch. I didn't used to wear makeup up until two years ago (never even wore makeup in HS), but I'm in an environment where all the girls look nice and wear makeup--not that it's bad to stand out, but it made me more aware of my own appearance.

Makeup is a great form of self-expression--Katherine Heigl could probably look like Kat Von D if she wanted, but part of the reason they look so different is their makeup. Clothing is a huge part of it too, but the way you wear your makeup becomes a part of your self-identity :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@Americanclassic- I second that

They may say less makeup is better but when I go to work without makeup on guy customers are jerks. I don't wear lipstick around my SO because he doesn't like wearing it, but he likes my made up face better for sure.

I'm naturally not a good looking person, makeup for me is like covering up my face and painting one that's way more fun. It makes me feel like I'm in a disguise, tricking everyone into thinking I'm cute when for realsies when I roll out of bed I look like a zombie. I can make myself look awake, happy and alive even if I only got an hour of sleep.

I like making different designs and getting new colors and criticizing products. I love being three inches from the mirror, covering my face in rainbow sparkliness and making my eyelashes look like ebony razor blades.

I enjoy applying make up... Plus a little make up enhances my features & brightens my face ... & I feel sexy & confident :)

Back