Julep Maven Box

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GirlyEnthusiast

Mastiff Momma
Reaction score
I just got my first Sneek Peek Box from Julep Maven today. They sell this box for $19.99 per month, but they sent me this one for free because they're hosting a giveaway for my blog. I lovvveeeee the polish colors (and I didn't even pick them out lol). And they apply SO opaque. Even though the bottles are smaller, you only need one coat, so they will still last awhile. Julep = 8ml and OPI = 15ml. But it's 1 coat vs 2 coats, so you'll use about the same amount of product.

I love that blue, it reminds me of Time Traveler from Cult Nails. I have a subscription with them - got my first box in November for $5 (after tax it was a little under $7). Got my December box and it was slightly under $22. I do like the colors from it but I'm not certain I like the formula. I did try on one color recently on an unmanicured nail simply to see how it looks and by the next day it had completely chipped and flaked. The downside, as you pointed it, it's roughly half the size of OPI, China Glaze or Sinful Color's main polishes. Basically it's the same size as a Zoya mini sent in a Birchbox.

I'm sticking with them one more month but honestly I'm not blown away by their polishes.

I looked at their website.  Is nail polish all you get in your sub box each month?

You get polish and then random mani-pedi type products. Like lotions, scrubs, etc.

Originally Posted by jeanarick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I looked at their website.  Is nail polish all you get in your sub box each month?

It may also depend on which style you fall into. My daughter's style is "It Girl" (I got her one for her birthday since it was only $5 + tax, live in WA). My style is American Beauty. She didn't get a box this month because I skipped it (didn't feel like paying another $21). My first bag that came in November was a makeup bag, one polish and lip gloss. My December box had one nail polish, the top coat and a body cream. GirlyEnthusiast and I both have referrals - well I know I do - so if you want to try them if you don't mind.... It's in my blog in the disclaimers section and in the subscriptions section. If not you can go to http://www.julep.com/ and subscribe. If you go through the referral I get credited $15. I don't know if Girly has one or not.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

GirlyEnthusiast do you have any $5 promo codes? The one I have came on December 1 and it's WELCOMEMV5. Get the first box for only $5 (plus tax if applicable).

Well yours is better than mine LOL. Julep gave me the code "girlyenthusiast" so people can get their first box for $9.99 and if I refer 10 people I get a year of boxes. I didn't know they had $5 codes.. I'm gonna ask for one of those!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It may also depend on which style you fall into. My daughter's style is "It Girl" (I got her one for her birthday since it was only $5 + tax, live in WA). My style is American Beauty. She didn't get a box this month because I skipped it (didn't feel like paying another $21). My first bag that came in November was a makeup bag, one polish and lip gloss. My December box had one nail polish, the top coat and a body cream. GirlyEnthusiast and I both have referrals - well I know I do - so if you want to try them if you don't mind.... It's in my blog in the disclaimers section and in the subscriptions section. If not you can go to http://www.julep.com/ and subscribe. If you go through the referral I get credited $15. I don't know if Girly has one or not.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

GirlyEnthusiast do you have any $5 promo codes? The one I have came on December 1 and it's WELCOMEMV5. Get the first box for only $5 (plus tax if applicable).

I've tried two Julep boxes so far and so far I'm not impressed. Out of four colors that I got, I only really liked one of them (which is saying a lot because each time, I sifted through all the style sets). And in the case of each of the polishes that I received, none of them were full-on opaque after just 1 coat (which I didn't expect anyway, but I don't think anyone should go into it with that expectation). And in the end, I just don't think the quality of their products are worth the price especially considering that they're only about half the size of Essie and OPI.

Another thing that I would like to warn everyone about is Julep's customer service. While trying to skip my December box, I received an email that they didn't have my info anymore...  which I am really uncomfortable with considering that they had my credit card info.

Really? Both of mine were super opaque full coverage.. like literally 1 dip into the bottle covered my nail completely. Maybe it varies from shade to shade.

Aww Jennifer from Julep read my mind. She just changed my referral code to $5 for your first box :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by GirlyEnthusiast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well yours is better than mine LOL. Julep gave me the code "girlyenthusiast" so people can get their first box for $9.99 and if I refer 10 people I get a year of boxes. I didn't know they had $5 codes.. I'm gonna ask for one of those!

The polish shades look pretty, but is it really worth the $21 for the box?

$21 for me since I'm in WA state as is Julep so I'm charged the state's sales tax. No idea if other states are charged a sales tax for their state or not. I know Oregon is not since they don't have sales tax.

Did anyone receive the Julep Maven December box with nail strips included? I got the "It Girl" box and tried the nail strips last week. I'm curious to see what anyone else had to say about them? I was not a fan at all. They were basically stickers...you could get the same effect by going to the store buying a pack of stickers and cutting them in the shape of your nail, stick them on and put topcoat over it. I guess I was just expecting something more along the lines of Incoco. Since Julep specializes in nail prodcuts only I expect every nail product they send me to be pretty stellar. I am super disappointed with them this month, don't know that I will keep this service up.

I got American Beauty which was body creme, a nail polish and top coat. The colors are pretty but I don't think I'm going to continue on with them in January. I have until the 25th to make my mind up. At $21-something it's a bit pricey for such little nail polish.

Yeah I think it would be more worthwhile if it were between $10 and $15 a month. The first box for $5 is totally worth it though.

I absolutely agree. If the price point per month was $10 to $15 and NO tax then it's be fine but $21+ no... the more I think about it the more disenchanted I am with them. I pay less for China Glaze and OPI than I do with their products.

I love nail polish, but I wouldn't be able to spend $19.99 a month.

Last night I found a code (SHAREON) that makes the first box worth $0.01. I signed up of course! I'm classic with a twist, so hopefully the colors that I receive are decent looking.

I wish I had seen this earlier. I just ordered a box with the $5 code and I'll probably use this one with a different card next month.

I'm definitely excited because I love nail polish, but I cannot justify $20 a month for julep polish.

Originally Posted by xokrysten /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love nail polish, but I wouldn't be able to spend $19.99 a month.

Last night I found a code (SHAREON) that makes the first box worth $0.01. I signed up of course! I'm classic with a twist, so hopefully the colors that I receive are decent looking.

How did everyone like the pulls for this month? I was really disappointed by having "Carrie" in my "Bombshell" box, but then I ended up seeing It-Girl, with the color I LOVED in "Bombshell" minus the pink -- and minus the body scrub! I'm pretty set in my ways on body scrub, and I really liked both of the other colors.

Also kudos to them for sending out the extra present for the first 5000 mavens! I think I'm probably in the first 50, lol, so that was awesome.

January's preview is out.

I opted to skip January even though I can get an extra polish. I don't think $21.something is worth three nail polishes and a body scrub.

Latest posts

Back