[LIST] Subscription services

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have you ever bought a product, especially an expensive product, to find out that you didn't like it? Sometimes you end up wasting money because you find you can't return it to the store. You can avoid that or even find something new with many subscription companies out there that send you several items to try. Many in the US and Canada begin at around $10 a month and you can cancel at any time.
Items listed past the Beauty Related section are available to those within the US only unless otherwise stated.​
Beauty Related

In the US:

(please note some companies do have restrictions to Hawaii and Alaska)

• Beauty Army ($12 monthly)Choose up to six items per month. Launched January 1, 2012 with only 300 initial boxes/subscriptions available.
  • Beauty Bar Sample Society ($15 monthly)This is offered in conjunction with Allure magazine. What you get are "5 deluxe-sized samples from beauty brands like Murad, Stila, and Bond No. 9. A $15 gift code to redeem on a $50 purchase - when any product from the brands you've sampled is included in your order. Expert beauty advice to accompany your samples from the editors of Allure. A bonus one-year subscription to Allure magazine." (LIMITED AVAILABILITY)
  • Beauty Box 5 ($12 monthly)
  • Beautyfix ($49.99 quarterly)Create a profile and select up to eight items. Items may range from drugstore items like Caress body wash to salon brands like Jonathan product.
  • Birchbox ($10 monthly)You get between 4 to 6 samples sometimes deluxe size, sometimes full size and sometimes mini size. For each item you get you can review the item and receive 10 points. Accumulate 100 points and you get $10 off almost any purchase (some restrictions on certain items, see Birchbox for more info). You can stack your points to but points DO expire within 365 days. You also get 50 points if you get people to sign up via referral link and they become a subscriber or place an order with Birchbox.
  • Cravebox ($10 monthly) You get 4 to 5 samples ranging in size from full, deluxe and sample size products.
  • Glossybox USA ($ unknown)
  • Julep ($19.99 monthly)Hand, nail and foot care subscription based in Seattle, WA.
  • MyGlam ($10 monthly) - Launched November 2011This one is new and is co-founded by Michelle Phan & has well known stylists like Jessica Harlow, Andrea from AndreasChoice involved. Like Birchbox it's a subscription beauty company that sends out "four to five new beauty products each month in a cute makeup bag". From My Glam's FAQs, "Glam Bags are shipped on the last day of every month via USPS mail".
  • My Platinum Box
  • New Beauty's Test Tube ($29.95 + $8.95 shipping, quarterly [every three months])This subscription service not only sends out deluxe size samples but also full size products. Unlike many other subscription companies this one is sent out once per quarter. 1st Quarter: Jan, Feb, Mar; 2nd Quarter: Apr, May, Jun; 3rd Quarter: Jul, Aug, Sep; 4th Quarter Oct, Nov, Dec.
  • New Beauty's Test Tube at QVC (auto renewal or one time only). $29.96 + $6.97 shipping/handling (+ tax if your state has tax)Exactly like New Beauty except this is a QVC version filled with products sold on QVC. Also sold on a quarterly basis. If the links do not work it means they pulled the page due to the product selling out and will not have the page back up until near the start of the next quarter.
  • The Look Bag by InStyle magazine ($10 monthly)

(Not recommended by most members)

• GoGoGirlfriend ($12.95 monthly for a box each month OR $6.99 monthly and you'll get a box every other month)There are two options for GGG - either pay $12.95 and get a box monthly (12 boxes per year) or pay $6.99 monthly and get a box every two months (6 boxes per year). Items in the box vary from ELF Cosmetics to indy companies.
  • Makeup Monthly ($30 monthly)There are three options to choose from, each option is $30 months. Pick a skincare box or a nail box or a makeup box. Items in the box are from high end brands however items maybe old or discontinued.

For Men:
  • His Black Box ($12 monthly) Out of business temporarily.For men... or women who like men's products. Set up a profile and get four to five deluxe size samples designed for men.
  • Birchbox Man This may actually NOT be a subscription service, at this time, for men but rather the limited edition box.
  • Male Box INFORMATION NOT AVAILABLE

In Canada:
In the UK:
  • GlossyBox (£10 monthly + £2.95 shipping/handling)
  • Amarya Beauty Box (£10 monthly or £120 yearly.) If you subscribe to the yearly plan the entire £120 will be billed to your bank or credit card. Like Birchbox, you're awarded points and in Amarya's case you're awarded 120 points if you pay for a year in advance PLUS you get a Santaverde Gift set work £56.
  • Boudoir Prive (£10 monthly) Also similar to other beauty box subscription services you get between 5 to 6 samples each month and earn loyalty points.
  • Carmine (£10 per month + pp* or £110 yearly)Receive 5 exclusive beauty products selected by their expert. Postage and packaging is an additional £2.75 per box.
  • Feel Unique Beauty Box (£9.95 monthly) According to their site they "send your unique Beauty Box during the first week of every month, filled with 5 deluxe-sized beauty products, plus a bonus beauty sample for extra unique-measure!"
  • Latest In Beauty (starts at £1 monthly) Now this one is definitely different as they offer three different types of boxes starting at £1 monthly.
    1. The beauty box for only £1 box includes only three samples.
    2. The luxury box you get to choose your products. Price? Unknown.
    3. The themed boxes are offered only six times a year and I believe this box is £4.95.
    "What is the difference between the Monthly Beauty Box and Luxury Samples?" This is the answer given in the FAQs, "The Monthly Beauty Box contains small samples (usually sachets or small vials) so you can test out a product a couple of times to get a feel for it. These are provided free of charge – we only ask that you pay a small contribution towards postage and packing. The luxury samples are much larger – similar to travel size products - and allow you to try products for longer. Because they’re bigger and more expensive to send, we have to charge a little more for them." It's kind of odd how payment is made as it's done via text-messaging. Anyone have a Latest In Beauty subscription?
  • She Said Beauty (£9 + £2.95 P&P)

In Australia:
  • Lust Have It (AU $14.95 monthly or $160 for 12 months) - Launched October 2011This is the most similar to Birchbox right down to awarding of points to redeem for $10 off a purchase. Delivery is for Australia and Tasmania only. At time time I do not know if they ship to New Zealand or not.
  • BellaBox Australia (AU $45.00 every three months)Get 4 to 5 samples monthly.
  • I Love This Box (AU $14.95 per month or $164 for 12 months)
  • Glossy Box Australia (AU $14.95 per month)
  • Beauty Basket (AU $14.95 per month)

Glossybox around the world. Ok, some of these are already listed above but here links to other Glossyboxes around the world.

1. Glossybox UK (£10 monthly)
  2. Glossybox Australia ($14.95 monthly)
  3. Glossybox Canada ($15 monthly)
  4. Glossybox Hong Kong ($120 monthly)
  5. Glossybox South Africa (R130,00 monthly)
In France:
  • Joliebox (10€ monthly + 3€ shipping)The site is in French and is for those in France. What you get are 4 to 5 miniature high-end cosmetics ("mini-products, formats and even travel large formats from time to time") plus a magazine. There is a loyalty program but I'm not sure how theirs works.

Beside beauty subscription/sampling boxes there are other types of subscription and sampling services to choose from ranging from clothing to shoes to even children's toys. The following include some of the well know subscription and sampling services out there. With the popularity of subscription services booming this list will continue to grow.

Clothes
  • Stylemint ($29.99 monthly)The styling powerhouse known as the Olson twins are back! Stylemint is their latest venture where they will be designing and releaing a new t-shirt each month! (Credit to Melanie for the tip! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)
Jewelry
Shoes
  • JustFab ($39.95 monthly)Similar to Kim Kardashian's Shoe Dazzle this one is by supermodel Kimora Lee Simmons. Shoe size 5½ to 11. First purchase is 50% off.
  • Shoe Mint$79.98 monthly you can opt to skip if you don't like a pair of shoes. Steve Madden, Rachel Bilson, and Nicole Chavez are the designers of the shoes. Opened November 2011.
  • Shoe Dazzle ($39.95 monthly, can skip before the 5th of each month.)[ships internationally, see their site for more info]Owned by Kim Kardashian, this is was among the first of the product subscription services that I heard about. I've been a member since 2008 and while I haven't purchased each month I have loved the shoes I've purchased from there including my exercise shoes which cost over $60 at other stores. In early 2011 they began to offer more than just shoes and handbags and now offer jewelry, haircare/cosmetic products (during the Dazzle Deal) among other items. From time to time they also have 2 pairs for $39.95.
  • Sole Society ($49.95 monthly, also can skip the month before the 5th of each month.)Exactly like Shoe Dazzle in that it's shoes but it's $10 more. Styles are practically identical to Shoe Dazzle but sometimes they have some much more cute styles.
  • Shoe Privee ($39.95 monthly) You can earn "Rewards Points" to redeem for Shoe Privee credit. 1000 = 1 credit. Buy 1 pair of shoes at $39.95 and get 100 points (2.5 points earned per dollar spent). Earn 250 points when you referred someone and makes their first purchase.
Organic
  • Conscious Box ($12 monthly + $7 shipping)Similar to Eco-Emi. Ships during first week of every month.
  • Eco-Emi ($15 monthly includes shipping) [ships internationally, see their site for more info]Keep in mind that Eco-Emi doesn't just send out beauty products but other products that are environmentally friendly products ranging from food to health products to household items. Boxes are shipped out on the 17th of each month.
  • White Apricot's Green Grab Bag ($15 monthly)Five to six eco-friendly sample size beauty products. Boxes are shipped out on the 15th of each month.
Food
  • Blissmobox ($19 monthly)Blissmobox ships out organic and eco-friendly products. Unlike similar companies you can either let them pick out products for you or you can pick products to try.
  • Foodzie ($19.99 monthly)
  • Like Blissmobox this company also ships out food related products. Unlike Blissmobox you don't get to choose.
Toys and Miscellaneous products

Other companies known but not added to the above list yet.

• Kiwi Crate
  • LolliHop
  • Citrus Lane
  • Trunk Club
  • My Dream Sample Box

Please feel free to add any company you heard or are subscribed to in this thread. I'll (eventually) add it to the list.
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Looks like Lollihop bit the dust...

Hi friend!

Thanks for being a Lollihop subscriber! We have some big news and important information about your Lollihop snack box subscription.

Lollihop is discontinuing our current snack box subscriptions. The January 15th box was our last regular shipment.

Your subscription XXXXXXXXX has 5 pre-paid shipments left, and you're set to receive an automatic refund of $XXX.XX for those 5 remaining shipments. The refund will be made automatically on January 31st, unless you follow the steps below!

If you would rather receive great snacks over a refund, we'd be very happy to send you those final 5 snack boxes instead.

Here's how it'll work:
1) To get the remaining snack boxes, click this link: XXX
2) On the registration page, click 'Confirm.' You'll be signed up to receive 5 snack boxes instead of the refund.
3) All remaining boxes will be sent to you during February. The boxes will all be identical, filled with delicious and nutritious snacks.

Why stop the subscriptions? Is Lollihop going away? Not at all. We've learned a lot in the last year and had amazing feedback from users like you, and that's inspired us to make improvements. We're jumping back into the think tank, and taking some time to truly focus on delivering the best box possible to you. This is so that when we open membership back up, your experience will be better than ever!

For now, we want to thank you for your warm support of Lollihop. If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to contact us at [email protected],  Here's to a happy and healthy new year ahead!

Thanks and be well,
Suzanne
CEO, Lollihop

I'll update the list some time this week (or most like likely later today but by the end of the week for sure).

thelookstore.com  I just signed up so I can't tell you if it's any good or not.  Anyone else hear of this?

Teresa

I've heard of it but couldn't find much info on it or the products they offer so I decided not to sign up. Plus I already have like 3 other subscriptions! Let us know if you like their service 

Originally Posted by VegasLover75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thelookstore.com  I just signed up so I can't tell you if it's any good or not.  Anyone else hear of this?

Teresa

I will post a review next month when I get my first box.  I am embarrassed to admit how many subscriptions I have
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by MakeupA /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've heard of it but couldn't find much info on it or the products they offer so I decided not to sign up. Plus I already have like 3 other subscriptions! Let us know if you like their service 

Just signed up for Beauty Bar & cancelled Gogogirlfriend - they have some serious problems!!

SERIOUSLY!!!! I bought the bonus box on December 5th and it JUST shipped on February 1st. No word on where my January box is either, eesh!!

Originally Posted by VegasLover75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just signed up for Beauty Bar & cancelled Gogogirlfriend - they have some serious problems!!

There is a new company that just launched and should be sending out their first box soon! http://goodebox.com/ According to the website 'Goodebox is a members only service providing trial sized healthy, eco-sensitive, innovative & effective beauty and personal care products, along with occasional samples of natural & organic health and wellness products.  Each month, members receive 6 or  more trial sized healthy beauty & personal care products'. The cost of the service each month is $16. I decided to sign up and took a survey that asked about my fav beauty items, skin shade, etc.

Definitely review your first box for us. I'm at my limit with boxes until I cancel one.

All these memberships sound really good.  I cant figure out how they can send all these products at such a low price. What is the catch? if the beauty products are worth more than the subscription, how do they stay afloat? What if they go out of business?  

Originally Posted by Alex P /img/forum/go_quote.gif

All these memberships sound really good.  I cant figure out how they can send all these products at such a low price. What is the catch? if the beauty products are worth more than the subscription, how do they stay afloat? What if they go out of business?  
Well, some of them do go out of business (such as Lollihop). Some of them load the boxes with stuff that is of value equal or lesser to the price when it's at full retail or with discontinued products(GoGoGirlfriend and Makeup Monthly). However, presuming one can work well with companies, items should wind up having a higher value than the amount that is charged--wholesale rates AND companies being willing to provide free product as part of their marketing strategy. Also, bear in mind that since subscriptions bill in advance, the company is able to accrue interest on your funds while they are getting together that month's shipment. 

Another thing to point out is in some cases the subscription company is working with the product's parent company to earn sales from it. Take MyGlam for example, they don't have a shop to buy products off and instead depend on people using the promo codes and links to purchase items to earn a fee or percentage of the sale. It's the same with other companies that use affiliate/promo codes.

In Birchbox's case they maybe depending on people buying products from their website. New Beauty Test Tube uses Spalook which is why they include a $20 - $50 promo card (I refuse to call it a "gift card") while the New Beauty QVC Test Tube depends on people liking the products from that tube and buying from QVC. Bottom line with most subscription companies it's all about advertising. A person ends up liking a product enough or has trust in that brand they'll come back time and time again to either buy the full size product or buy something else off that company's site. Many Birchboxers here at MUT have liked the samples they got and have gone back to purchase items from Birchbox.com itself or gone to Ulta or Sephora to buy the item.

Some companies - like Allure and InStyle - are able to use their marketing power of having a magazine behind them (a trusted name brand in their own right) to push their subscription services onto their readers.

As for prices.... Let me give you an example using beauty products. If I bought 12 or less mini polishes I would get the polishes at $0.75 each. If I bought I bought 12 or more the price dropped down to $0.55 each. The retail price of each polish was $0.99 which meant IF I had a salon front or a website I could make between $0.25 per polish up to $0.44. Wholesale prices are so vastly different than distributor/pro price which is typically between 25% to 50% off depending on the company's discount policy. Wholesale doesn't give a percentage discount they discount buy the amount bought which is why subscription companies are able to send out boxes so cheaply. It's the same with their shipping companies.

Most subscription companies use shipping companies that have bulk mailing licenses and the price on bulk mailing is far less expensive than what we would pay. If they didn't use bulk mailing companies to ship from they would definitely go broke sending thousands of packages. A few days ago I came across a show - I think it was "How It's Made" - and the segment was on Netflix and how they worked to ship DVDs out on a daily basis. They literally ship thousands of packages and give free shipping back when returning a DVD/game. How can they afford that? Easy - discount bulk shipping.

Unfortunately as pointed out, some companies fail (Lollihop, Yellow Box Beauty) and some companies come off as scams (GoGo Girlfriend and Makeup Monthly) with expired products and discontinued products.

Back