Jump to content

-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk


Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
 
Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Memebox

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

Foundation for Snow White pale skin?


  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 49 OFFLINE   Fairest of all

Fairest of all

    Aficionado

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Joined 03-December 11
Reviews

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

 

If your anything like me, you are literally SO fair that you cant find foundation in a shade even close to your own. Ive tried multiple white color correctors to mix into darker formulas, but the consistency always ends up being weird.  Well I happened to come across 2 different products today that looked promising, and wanted to see if anyone has tried them. First off this is me, so you can understand my dilemma >.<   267595_541044857515_290401363_1062845_3132121_n_crop.jpg   The first item I found a review on was Illamasqua skin base foundation. It comes in a stark white color, but also very fair shades. Found this photo of shade #2 for comparison against the lightest shade mac foundation comes in NC15.   illamasqua5.jpg   As you can see thats a HUGE difference in color. Does anyone know if you can buy this brand in store anywhere...sephora maybe? Id love to be able to test it out.   The second brand I came across seems to be an indie company called Meow cosmetics. They have a TON of color options!!!! Found a review that had swatches of a few of the fairer colors   2012-01-01+meow+foundation+cool+light.JPG   Do you see Abyssinian?! <3 I think Im in love already. and the best part is they sell sample bags of the colors for only $1 each...so ordering enough to find your exact color it an affordable option.   2012-01-01+meow+foundations.JPG   And best of all they have a true white shade called snow lynx, that has zero undertones!!!   snow_lynx.jpg   Im thinking im going to have to try these out. Im not usually a fan of powder foundation, but for the price of a few samples I wouldnt feel like its a huge loss.    Has anyone else found any promising brands, or products that have worked for you?    

#Post 2 of 49 OFFLINE   lilsxkitten

lilsxkitten

    Buff

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Joined 20-December 11
Reviews

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

IMAG0015.jpg

 

Are those swatches on your arm Meow cosmetics?  I'm super stoked about the "no undertone" aspect, since my skin tends to amplify them.  Lately I've been trying to find the lightest (as in not heavy) foundation since I had a bad experience with MAC's studio fix nearly ruining my skin.  I have been using Smashbox's Halo in fair (which is awesome) but it doesn't provide much coverage, so I'm thinking of coupling it with MAC's face and body foundation- but I want to go to the pro store to check out the lighter colors.   I used to use cover girl pressed powder in Ivory, which was good, until I became a make up snob.  What do you do for concealer?  I found one that was pretty good by Too Faced, it was a stick and it had a color at each end (1 karat and 1 1/2 karat) that was pretty good, but I think i found it at TJ Maxx or something.



#Post 3 of 49 ONLINE   zadidoll

zadidoll

    Queen of the Vampire Cats

  • Community Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,666 posts
  • Joined 26-February 11
Reviews
  • Location:USA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

I have a question about those of you with uber white skin. Are you classified as a pink or yellow undertone because all of the lightest foundations I've seen on those with uber white skin tend to be too dark and too yellow or too pink. To me it seems as if you have more of a blue undertone than yellow or pink.



#Post 4 of 49 OFFLINE   Fairest of all

Fairest of all

    Aficionado

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Joined 03-December 11
Reviews

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:39 PM



Originally Posted by lilsxkitten View Post

IMAG0015.jpg

 

Are those swatches on your arm Meow cosmetics?  I'm super stoked about the "no undertone" aspect, since my skin tends to amplify them.  Lately I've been trying to find the lightest (as in not heavy) foundation since I had a bad experience with MAC's studio fix nearly ruining my skin.  I have been using Smashbox's Halo in fair (which is awesome) but it doesn't provide much coverage, so I'm thinking of coupling it with MAC's face and body foundation- but I want to go to the pro store to check out the lighter colors.   I used to use cover girl pressed powder in Ivory, which was good, until I became a make up snob.  What do you do for concealer?  I found one that was pretty good by Too Faced, it was a stick and it had a color at each end (1 karat and 1 1/2 karat) that was pretty good, but I think i found it at TJ Maxx or something.

 

I found those pictures on a blog, so I have not tried that brand of makeup before myself. I just saw the swatches and got really excited!!

Ive used the MAC face and body in white to try and mix with my regular foundations and like you it broke me out pretty badly and just didnt look right. it was way too much coverage and looked like I had makeup on. I use lancomes waterproof concealer in porcelain1...its a little dark, but lighter than my undereye circles so I just apply it lightly. I dont currently wear any foundation because if the colors off even the slightest bit its so easy to tell. 

I just liked the meow cosmetics because the samples are so cheap you can order enough to find your right color AND they come in 3 coverages so you could get one thats not too heavy!



#Post 5 of 49 OFFLINE   Fairest of all

Fairest of all

    Aficionado

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Joined 03-December 11
Reviews

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:46 PM



Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post

I have a question about those of you with uber white skin. Are you classified as a pink or yellow undertone because all of the lightest foundations I've seen on those with uber white skin tend to be too dark and too yellow or too pink. To me it seems as if you have more of a blue undertone than yellow or pink.



To be honest, Im not good at judging it on myself. Ive never found any foundation to come close to my color that i havnt watered down myself enough to not know what to call it. Every time ive gone to a makeup counter like MAC they are less than helpful because in all honesty they know the products wont work for someone like me so I just kind of get shooed off. 

 

600x312px-LL-b419ce5e_2012-01-01meowfoundationcoollight.jpeg

 

of these swatches id say manx is way more yellow than my skin, bengal looks a little ashy pink, ocicat looks a little more pigmented than my coloring, but closer.....abyssinian looks pretty close but its hard for me to pin point what the coloring of it is. i guess id say i just lack a lot of pigment, but the small bit i do have is between blue and yellow?  i guess that warm and cool aspect makes my skin tone more neutral and the sheer paleness just gives my skin a white appearance. How would you classify abyssinian?



#Post 6 of 49 OFFLINE   Urban DeKate

Urban DeKate

    Trainee

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 09-January 12
Reviews

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

I think the Makeup Forever Mat Velvet in #15 is pretty light. That's worth checking out.



#Post 7 of 49 OFFLINE   Katie-Gaslight

Katie-Gaslight

    Enthusiast

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Joined 09-May 11
Reviews

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:31 PM



Originally Posted by Amber Blevins View Post

 

If your anything like me, you are literally SO fair that you cant find foundation in a shade even close to your own. Ive tried multiple white color correctors to mix into darker formulas, but the consistency always ends up being weird.  Well I happened to come across 2 different products today that looked promising, and wanted to see if anyone has tried them. First off this is me, so you can understand my dilemma >.<   267595_541044857515_290401363_1062845_3132121_n_crop.jpg   The first item I found a review on was Illamasqua skin base foundation. It comes in a stark white color, but also very fair shades. Found this photo of shade #2 for comparison against the lightest shade mac foundation comes in NC15.   illamasqua5.jpg   As you can see thats a HUGE difference in color. Does anyone know if you can buy this brand in store anywhere...sephora maybe? Id love to be able to test it out.   The second brand I came across seems to be an indie company called Meow cosmetics. They have a TON of color options!!!! Found a review that had swatches of a few of the fairer colors   2012-01-01+meow+foundation+cool+light.JPG   Do you see Abyssinian?! <3 I think Im in love already. and the best part is they sell sample bags of the colors for only $1 each...so ordering enough to find your exact color it an affordable option.   2012-01-01+meow+foundations.JPG   And best of all they have a true white shade called snow lynx, that has zero undertones!!!   snow_lynx.jpg   Im thinking im going to have to try these out. Im not usually a fan of powder foundation, but for the price of a few samples I wouldnt feel like its a huge loss.    Has anyone else found any promising brands, or products that have worked for you?    

no offense to you, i believe you that you're pale but that picture looks like that picture is just way too overexposed.

i didn't add anything of value, but hey, i have super pale skin too and and my best tip is to look for neutral shades. not pink, not yellow, but neutral.

as zadi sad, most foundations are still way too pink or yellow and therefore too dark for me. 

 

i match with the lightest shade of mat velvet+ mufe and clinique acne solutions matte foundation in alabaster. 

 

 



#Post 8 of 49 OFFLINE   lilsxkitten

lilsxkitten

    Buff

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Joined 20-December 11
Reviews

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

Blue undertone.. interesting, I will have to look into products with this!  I feel like yellow undertones make me look dark yet sickly, and pink undertones make me look flushed.  I didn't break out with the MAC Studio FX  I could never get it out of my pores.. which made them bigger around my nose.  Then that area was constantly red.. which made me use it more.. constant cycle.. it was awful.  I'm so glad I stopped using it about a year ago.



#Post 9 of 49 OFFLINE   AliciaMLay

AliciaMLay

    Devotee

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • Joined 15-April 11
Reviews

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

The only one that I ever found to work was Cargo in #10, but I think you can only find it on-line and at Macy's Impulse section.  I also thought Paula Dorf in Parchment was pretty great, but I wasn't super impressed by the formula.  It's hard when you're a certain kind of pale!

 

Let us know how the Meow works, that sounds really interesting!


Bloggin' It Up!

Critical Makeup


#Post 10 of 49 ONLINE   zadidoll

zadidoll

    Queen of the Vampire Cats

  • Community Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,666 posts
  • Joined 26-February 11
Reviews
  • Location:USA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:24 PM



Originally Posted by lilsxkitten View Post

Blue undertone.. interesting, I will have to look into products with this!  I feel like yellow undertones make me look dark yet sickly, and pink undertones make me look flushed.  I didn't break out with the MAC Studio FX  I could never get it out of my pores.. which made them bigger around my nose.  Then that area was constantly red.. which made me use it more.. constant cycle.. it was awful.  I'm so glad I stopped using it about a year ago.


I'm thinking blue only because the skin looks so devoid of yellow or pink. If not blue then what? Even neutral seems to be either a yellow or pink. I've yet to come across a true neutral devoid of yellow or pink.

 



#Post 11 of 49 OFFLINE   Fairest of all

Fairest of all

    Aficionado

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Joined 03-December 11
Reviews

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:26 PM



Originally Posted by Katie-Gaslight View Post

no offense to you, i believe you that you're pale but that picture looks like that picture is just way too overexposed.

i didn't add anything of value, but hey, i have super pale skin too and and my best tip is to look for neutral shades. not pink, not yellow, but neutral.

as zadi sad, most foundations are still way too pink or yellow and therefore too dark for me. 

 

i match with the lightest shade of mat velvet+ mufe and clinique acne solutions matte foundation in alabaster. 

 

 



I have a light mufe foundation and its still quite dark on me. I have some white foundation I can mix into it, but the foundation itself just doesnt work as well.

 

tried to find a few more pics that dont have a bright flash (sorry thats my boyfriend). Somewhere between them all is what I look like in real life =P

 

40907_524441111555_290401363_839388_7993876_n.jpg12293_517552421545_290401363_652720_2162499_n.jpg229227_537288325635_290401363_1008823_3293396_n_crop.jpg

300835_551548438255_290401363_1167665_601244825_n.jpg28500_518584847555_290401363_681290_2222529_n_crop.jpg

 

 

 



#Post 12 of 49 OFFLINE   Fairest of all

Fairest of all

    Aficionado

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Joined 03-December 11
Reviews

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:31 PM



Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post


I'm thinking blue only because the skin looks so devoid of yellow or pink. If not blue then what? Even neutral seems to be either a yellow or pink. I've yet to come across a true neutral devoid of yellow or pink.

 



You have me really interested in finding a way to classify my skin tone now! I honestly never realized how much variation we each have besides the obvious lighter and darker differences. I bet they teach that kind of stuff in cosmetology school. Id love to learn more about it



#Post 13 of 49 ONLINE   zadidoll

zadidoll

    Queen of the Vampire Cats

  • Community Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,666 posts
  • Joined 26-February 11
Reviews
  • Location:USA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:13 PM



Originally Posted by Amber Blevins View Post

I bet they teach that kind of stuff in cosmetology school. Id love to learn more about it

 

I don't remember learning that in cosmetology school. I think it would probably be taught in a MUA school.
 

 

 



#Post 14 of 49 OFFLINE   BombDiggity

BombDiggity

    Buff

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
Reviews

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:27 AM



Originally Posted by Amber Blevins View Post

 

If your anything like me, you are literally SO fair that you cant find foundation in a shade even close to your own. Ive tried multiple white color correctors to mix into darker formulas, but the consistency always ends up being weird.  Well I happened to come across 2 different products today that looked promising, and wanted to see if anyone has tried them. First off this is me, so you can understand my dilemma >.<   267595_541044857515_290401363_1062845_3132121_n_crop.jpg   The first item I found a review on was Illamasqua skin base foundation. It comes in a stark white color, but also very fair shades. Found this photo of shade #2 for comparison against the lightest shade mac foundation comes in NC15.   illamasqua5.jpg   As you can see thats a HUGE difference in color. Does anyone know if you can buy this brand in store anywhere...sephora maybe? Id love to be able to test it out.  


ASOS sells Illamasqua products. Here's the link to the Skin Base Foundtion. The Good thing about ASOS, is that its free shipping & returns.. I've bought clothes from them before and they were great about the return.

 

Also, if you do end up getting the Skin Base Foundation I'd love to hear a review! All I've heard about it is good things!

 

http://us.asos.com/Illamasqua-Illamasqua-Skin-Base-Foundation/wlgxp/?iid=1792842&cid=5020&Rf-400=12344&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=12&mporgp=L0lsbGFtYXNxdWEvSWxsYW1hc3F1YS1Ta2luLUJhc2UtRm91bmRhdGlvbi9Qcm9kLw..

 

 



#Post 15 of 49 OFFLINE   Fairest of all

Fairest of all

    Aficionado

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Joined 03-December 11
Reviews

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:50 AM



Originally Posted by BombDiggity View Post


ASOS sells Illamasqua products. Here's the link to the Skin Base Foundtion. The Good thing about ASOS, is that its free shipping & returns.. I've bought clothes from them before and they were great about the return.

 

Also, if you do end up getting the Skin Base Foundation I'd love to hear a review! All I've heard about it is good things!

 

http://us.asos.com/Illamasqua-Illamasqua-Skin-Base-Foundation/wlgxp/?iid=1792842&cid=5020&Rf-400=12344&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=12&mporgp=L0lsbGFtYXNxdWEvSWxsYW1hc3F1YS1Ta2luLUJhc2UtRm91bmRhdGlvbi9Qcm9kLw..

 

 

Thanks so much!!! Free shipping is so rare nowadays so thats a great deal. If I do end up purchasing it I will let you know, but Im considering trying the Meow cosmetic samples first since they are only $1 each (I'm poor) 
 

 



#Post 16 of 49 OFFLINE   MeaghanLiz

MeaghanLiz

    Trainee

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Joined 13-December 11
Reviews

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

Not that I'm really adding to helping.. But I have translucent skin especially on my face and I don't have a single bit of color but the blue veins that are visible. and I have the same problem with foundation being too pink or yellow. As I've said in a previous post.. I LIVE for BB cream.. they're supposed to cancel out yellow.. but because of the ashy base color it matches me perfectly. I mix it with foundations that are too dark. I had bought a Laura Mercier Foundation and I LOVED it... but it's so yellow I looked jaundice, it was sad. I really want to try those products now! If you do sample them you should let us know about texture and feel. My skin is so dry it's hard to find foundation for me.



#Post 17 of 49 OFFLINE   Fairest of all

Fairest of all

    Aficionado

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Joined 03-December 11
Reviews

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

Not that I'm really adding to helping.. But I have translucent skin especially on my face and I don't have a single bit of color but the blue veins that are visible. and I have the same problem with foundation being too pink or yellow. As I've said in a previous post.. I LIVE for BB cream.. they're supposed to cancel out yellow.. but because of the ashy base color it matches me perfectly. I mix it with foundations that are too dark. I had bought a Laura Mercier Foundation and I LOVED it... but it's so yellow I looked jaundice, it was sad. I really want to try those products now! If you do sample them you should let us know about texture and feel. My skin is so dry it's hard to find foundation for me.

Your comments ARE helpful!! I have never tried BB cream so that is a fantastic idea to try and mix it with some too dark foundation. Next time I'm at sephora I'm going to sample some out. If I do order them I'll be more than happy to let you know how they work. And if you try anything that seems promising please let me know as well :-)

#Post 18 of 49 OFFLINE   xina751

xina751

    Buff

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Joined 02-May 11
Reviews

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

the best thing i've ever done to get the right shade of lightness for my redheaded friend was to take a yellow toned light foundation (rimmel 25 hr wear foundation in 103 ivory) and mix lavender cream foundation or concealer with it as needed to get the right amount of blue to match your skin.



#Post 19 of 49 OFFLINE   Zombieprncss

Zombieprncss

    Trainee

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 11-January 12
Reviews

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

I love Meow Cosmetics I just recently started buying from there... I get the 0 or 1~Sphynx and Siamese... I also love their Lush Blush: Hugs and Kittens and The Equilibrium and Balancing Primer before I use the foundation...   At first when I put the product on it didn't look blended I was a little concerned, but I had a little while before work. So I totally went upstairs and played some xbox for about an hour. Went back and checked myself in the mirror my foundation has settled in and looked excellent. I know have been using Meow for about 2 months maybe 3 and I love it, I would highly recommend it to people with lighter toned skin.



#Post 20 of 49 OFFLINE   Fairest of all

Fairest of all

    Aficionado

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  • Joined 03-December 11
Reviews

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:10 AM



Originally Posted by xina751 View Post

the best thing i've ever done to get the right shade of lightness for my redheaded friend was to take a yellow toned light foundation (rimmel 25 hr wear foundation in 103 ivory) and mix lavender cream foundation or concealer with it as needed to get the right amount of blue to match your skin.


Thats a good thing to possibly try as well. Id likely still have to mix in some white because ive found a few foundations that have similar coloring to my skin, theres just too much pigment so it looks way dark. its kind of like im the pastel version of normal colored foundation >.<

 



Originally Posted by Zombieprncss View Post

I love Meow Cosmetics I just recently started buying from there... I get the 0 or 1~Sphynx and Siamese... I also love their Lush Blush: Hugs and Kittens and The Equilibrium and Balancing Primer before I use the foundation...   At first when I put the product on it didn't look blended I was a little concerned, but I had a little while before work. So I totally went upstairs and played some xbox for about an hour. Went back and checked myself in the mirror my foundation has settled in and looked excellent. I know have been using Meow for about 2 months maybe 3 and I love it, I would highly recommend it to people with lighter toned skin.

 

Thank you so much for letting me know! What coverage did you get in the foundations? I'd likely go with the lightest so i dont have a hard time blending like you said. I just want to make sure its enough coverage to hide slight uneven skin tone and all. I have some clinique translucent finishing powder that matches my skin tone, but it has zero coverage.