Why is my hair dry and frizzy, poofy, ugly? (Frustration! Please read)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

So before you say not to blow dry or apply heat, deep condition, and hair mask, I DO do all of these. Everytime I wash my hair, when my hair is dry it comes out all frizzy and ugly even if I just did a hair mask prior. I have to wait a day for it to be somewhat less frizzy. I do not wash my hair everyday. My mom comments and says go comb your hair (when dry, which I do) and people make fun of my hair all the time. I deep condition at least twice a week, I hair mask with egg + olive oil or coconut oil at least twice a week to (30-1 hour each). I have tried products, but not serum after shower yet (which I try next) but nothing seems to work. Weird thing about me is, if I blow dry my hair it comes out less frizzy. I still do not blow my hair anymore or straighten it anymore (only if emergency). I get so frustrated, especially if I just do a hair mask or something and someone comments why is your hair so dry and frizzy?

Is there any way to solve this problem? I'm only 19.

Thanks.

Is your hair fine, course, curly, straight? Most likely you have frizz because you have damage and no amount of products will help get rid of it. Time for a hair TRIM. An inch or so off the end by a stylist should take care of the frizz.

first  - why would you put egg in your hair?

second - have you hear about co-washing? Read up on it and give it a try for a couple of months,

Typically, your hair will be healthier, less dry and should help the frizz.

Check the search forum at the top of the page - should find lots of threads.

^Egg helps with protein, moisture ,etc.

And I just got a trim a week ago : (. Its been like this as long as I could remember. My hairs straight, but a bit wavy too. Also, I have thick hair, which is odd for my ethnicity (chinese). When I go get a hair cut they always comment on how much hair I have haha. 

Originally Posted by Beginner /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^Egg helps with protein, moisture ,etc.

And I just got a trim a week ago : (. Its been like this as long as I could remember. My hairs straight, but a bit wavy too. Also, I have thick hair, which is odd for my ethnicity (chinese). When I go get a hair cut they always comment on how much hair I have haha. 

I've done egg and avocado masks before and they are awesome!

Have you tried John Freida frizz eaze? I've heard it works pretty well. If your hair is that difficult have you every thought of trying a formaldehyde free brazilian keratin treatment? I know some girls with BIG hair and its worked wonder on them.

Edit: I searched and found an old forum post on the keratin treatments!!!

http://makeuptalk.com/t/117467/my-braziliena-hair-did-keratin-treatment

A few before and after pictures I found online 

Thanks! But aren't kertain treatments expensive? I tried the CHI kertain spray for at least one month and half, but I couldnt tell a difference. And next product I was planning to buy was the frizz ease serum from John ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Avocada vs olive oil which one would be better :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Mixed with egg.

Originally Posted by Beginner /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks! But aren't kertain treatments expensive? I tried the CHI kertain spray for at least one month and half, but I couldnt tell a difference. And next product I was planning to buy was the frizz ease serum from John ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Avocada vs olive oil which one would be better :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Mixed with egg.

At the salons In my area they run about $150, but last about 4 months so that breaks down to about $50 a month. Not bad if you think about it that way, plus a lot of salons offer customer loyalty rewards where you do say 4 and get the 5th free. You just have to shop around

If your anything like my friends you probably rack up quite a bill just on product after product that doesn't work =/

I use avocado, argan, or grape seed oil personally. But they all do about the same job

If you notice in those pics the hair looks straight but look at the tips... frizzy still, damaged. Instead of spending so much on treatments try a kertain shampoo. Many on the market now a days that range from as little as $2.50 to $30 a bottle.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you notice in those pics the hair looks straight but look at the tips... frizzy still, damaged. Instead of spending so much on treatments try a kertain shampoo. Many on the market now a days that range from as little as $2.50 to $30 a bottle.

Suave has a whole new keratin line coming out soon. If the chi keratin didn't work for you though, odds are similar products wont be a great improvement. The frizz eaze serum is probably the next best thing to try

What kind of water do you have? If you have hard water, that will contribute to the problem. 

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What kind of water do you have? If you have hard water, that will contribute to the problem. 

I have no idea.

Thanks guys, I'll try the serum then if that doesnt work then the keratin shampoo.

And if I really contine to be frustrated; then I will think about that keratin treatment. But I was already thinking about Clarosonic for pores =/. MONEYY

She's right about that. You could buy a shower head with a built in carbon filter, the downside is if you're use to a hand held or duo shower head then you might hate the carbon filter since it's a single, standard mount shower head. Our water is so hard that anything that's not cleaned properly will develop this orange-rusty looking water deposit because of all the iron in the water. It's pretty gross.

I have thick naturally wavy hair and I don't spend a lot on hair products anymore even when I damage it. I'm sure this won't help but one thing that works for me is that I use Fructis Sleek and Smooth Conditioner and their smoothing cream. I think it weighs my hair down so that it doesn't become frizzy. Makes it very soft and shiny and manageable as well. I have very strong hair normally though. I do remember before I used a smoothing cream (I use it every time I wash my hair whether or not I blow dry it, let it air dry or straighten it with an iron); I always had frizz and static and it drove me mental. I think sometimes you can be lucky enough to find a cheaper product that works as well as the most expensive products. I've also used Fructis' type serum, its like Frizz-ease but just cheaper.

I think I pay like CAD $5 for each. I mean if the expensive products don't work, maybe its time to try a less expensive product. I am in no way condemning anyone else's suggestions. Its just a thought. Oh just like any other product, you don't want use too much at a time or it can feel greasy.

so far no matter what I wash my hair with, it is frizzy. Be it something expensive or a cleansing conditioner. What really helps for me, is a lusterizer. Sally's has one in their ION collection that is in my book, the BEST stuff ever! The effects only last a day, and you can apply it to wet or dry hair(I do both). Serums dont work for me, shine sprays last about 10 minutes and only get the hairs on the top layer. I've used Dove's intensive frizz cream, salon selectives, Matrix, Bioloage, Paul Mitchell, etc...Only brand I have not used is Kerastase and that's b/c that stuff is mad expensive. I've used just about everything out there cream wise and ION's Lusterizer works best, at least for me.

Nobody's hair is naturally frizzy, you just haven't found the right combination of techniques and products.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/47609-post-your-before-after-cg-pics.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Curly-Girl-Handbook-Lorraine-Massey/dp/076115678X/

A keratin treatment is basically the same as chemical relaxing, it breaks down the protein bonds in the hair shaft and weakens/ damages it permanently. Flat ironing is also extremely damaging, the two together can make your hair snap off after a few treatments. Bear in mind you will have costly upkeep unless you can handle straight limp ends and frizzy roots. The fake shine comes from applying a ton of silicone oil, the hair is just as dry underneath. If a too hot a flat iron is used the hair will be permanently coated in a layer of plastic.

My secret is Pro-Line Hair Food! My hair is really frizzy also, and it works great! You can get it at CVS or walgreens for under $5! My friends make fun of my because its meant for black woman...but it works!

My hair has been dry and frizzy for as long as I can remember and I know it can be so frustrating. However, I have been using Pure Inecto Coconut shampoo since recently and it has really helped my hair. It's less frizzy and looks healthy.

Mod note: Link deleted, PM sent.

I reckon it's just your genetics to be honest. It's not cos you've been evil to your hair or anything cos clearly you are doing everything right in terms of taking care of it. My hair is EXACTLY the same as yours. I'm Chinese too and my hair is disgusting when air dried even after hair mask yada yada egg yolk and all. But the true beauty of my hair comes out when I blow dry it cos I think it helps to smooth out my hair cuticles making it look softer and shinier.

Hi, I registered so I can reply to your comment. I know how frustrating it is to have hair like that. I would get teased a lot growing up because my hair was huge, poofy, and frizzy. Even my friends would make fun of my hair. Shampooing and conditioning is NOT enough. It is absolutely necessary that you apply leave-in conditioner after you wash your hair (and try to wash your hair only like 2-4 times a week; use a dry shampoo for oily roots).  There are a few products that have worked for me. Since I am on a budget (and I think you are too, based on the indication on your post), here a couple of inexpensive leave-in conditioners. Oh, and it's crucial that you get your hair thinned out regularly.

These leave-in treatments are meant to stay on your hair through styling or whatever, until your next wash and then you apply it after every wash.

Beyond the Zone's "Split Mendler" found at Sally's Beauty Supply

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Split-end-mender/SBS-140704,default,pd.html

It is marketed for split ends, but it doesn't work for that. Its purpose serves as a leave-in treatment for the whole body of the hair (except the roots, unless your roots are frizzy and dry as well). It leaves my hair so soft and manageable. If you apply too much, your hair will look greasy and weird. Through trial and error, you will learn how much product application will work for your hair. Here's a tip: Put some cream on both of your palms, place a chunk of hair between your palms, and rub your palms together a few times to apply the product on your hair. While rubbing your palms, move your hands downward to the ends of your hair. Repeat this technique all over your hair, with a big chunk of hair at a time. Remember, be gentle! This is just to distribute the cream on your hair evenly. I do this because I have very thick hair. Apply less product if your hair is thinned out and use this technique for all leave-in conditioners/serum.

Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave-In Conditioning Cream

http://www.garnierusa.com/_en/_us/our_products/product-struct.aspx?tpcode=our_products%5Eprd_haircare%5Efructis%5Efructis_discover%5Efructis_sleek_shine%5Efructis_sleek_shine_rtn2&prdcode=p41052

This product is a little cheaper than the Split Mendler, but easier to find because it is in drug stores too. This is a great product as well--very hydrating. Apply after you wash your hair, as usual. Same technique explained above to evenly apply it all over your hair.

The reason why I like doing that "rubbing palms together" thing to apply the product is because everytime I apply it the regular way, only the outer layer and bottom layer of my hair gets the cream on it and all the hair on the inside is untouched.

Good luck! Sorry that my reply is late. If you already found something, just consider these products as a back-up!

me too! my hair is so dry at the moment it's giving me allergies!! ( no joke. the fly aways tickle my nose, i sneeze etc)

mine is because i am using my hair dryer everyday... but if i don't wash my hair every day it turns into an oil slick, even though it is dry?

this really bugs me, so i wash it everyday, i used to let it dry naturally but as i put my hair up everyday ( even when i don't use a  hair dryer it makes it dry with fly aways and frizz and knots really easy, i can brush my hair wait two seconds without moving and it's knotted)

so as i was saying i used to let it dry naturally but because i put it up everyday and because my hair is so thick i was getting cradle cap.. :| i couldn't win! i can't win! lmao.......

i found the frizz ease stuff just coats my hair in oil, makes it like an oil slick ( even when using just one drop!!) and makes my head itchy and dirty feeling.

I won't have my hair short, because it knots so much and i can't get it to do what i want, it frizzes soooooooooo bad,

and i had a problem when i was younger where i would pull these frizzed bits out... eventually i had a bald spot and got teased a lot, the only thing that stopped me was to wear my hair up.

i've had my hair short, had it long, dried it naturally, used all kinds of frizz products ( creams, oils, ointments, treatments etc), cheap shampoos, expensive shampoos, there is always fly aways.

this is the driest it has ever been.

i'm thinking i need to try that keratin ( ? is that how it's spelt) shampoo... what else can i do.

I could just wash once every 2 days and use dry shampoo inbetween but i hate that stuff, it makes my head itch!

why is my hair dry, but oily?

and yes it could be my genetics, my dad has curly thick black hair and mum has light brown wavy hair ( hers is dry too but she doesn't admit this) ... but surely i wasn't the only one given a head of crap hair ???

Latest posts

Back