-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

Milani's Pitch Black Powder Eyeshadow

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 19 OFFLINE   zadidoll

zadidoll

Queen of the Vampire Cats

• Community Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,442 posts
  • Joined 26-February 11

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:23 PM

Temptalia posted about this on her site about a month ago and I didn't see it until today. Apparently Milani has a new matte black shadow out called Pitch Black and it's exclusive to CVS and CVS.com.

71748930002.jpg

milani_pitchblack001.jpg milani_pitchblack006.jpg

Images from CVS.com and Temptalia.

Price: $4.99

Net weight: 0.11 oz

I think this will give Makeup Geek's Corrupt ($5.99 pan only, $7.99 compact; net weight 0.064 oz) and Sugarpill's Bulletproof ($12; net weight 0.14 oz) a run for their money.

Price wise it's less expensive than both Sugarpill and MUG while weight wise it's closest to being the same size as Sugarpill. If it's as good as it looks in Temptalia's pictures then this is is more than 1/2 the price of Sugarpill and virtually the same size. It's still a dollar less than MUG's pan and $2 less than the compact but you get almost twice the amount.

I wish we had a CVS. I'll check my local Fred Meyer since they tend to carry items that tends to be exclusive to CVS and Ulta.

#Post 2 of 19 OFFLINE   cosmeticsaficionado

cosmeticsaficionado

Beauty Blogger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,855 posts
  • Joined 28-February 08

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

You can buy it from the Milani web site. I didn't get this color, but I did buy the hot pink and green shadows (and 3 shadow eyez pencils hee!). 

Cosmetics Aficionado - BlogFacebookTwitterInstagram

#Post 3 of 19 OFFLINE   viccckyhoang

viccckyhoang

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts
  • Joined 31-March 12

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by internetchick View Post

You can buy it from the Milani web site. I didn't get this color, but I did buy the hot pink and green shadows (and 3 shadow eyez pencils hee!). 

i'm gonna wait til milani has a sale! haha what colors did you pick for the shadow eyez? i wish that had a wider selection.. hopefully soon! :D

#Post 4 of 19 OFFLINE   cosmeticsaficionado

cosmeticsaficionado

Beauty Blogger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,855 posts
  • Joined 28-February 08

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

I bought Winter White, Royal Purple, and Green Safari.

Cosmetics Aficionado - BlogFacebookTwitterInstagram

#Post 5 of 19 OFFLINE   tyari

tyari

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts
  • Joined 20-March 08

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:48 AM

Looks interesting. They have several other matte shades that I'm interested in.

#Post 6 of 19 OFFLINE   Adrienne

Adrienne

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,690 posts
  • Joined 25-September 07

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

I bought the new Milani e/s except for the brightly colored ones.  I already have similar shades in my collection.  My HG black matte e/s before was by NYX but when I reordered it recently, the formulation was different from the original one I had for years :(.  You can see a grey cast in it and it's not as rich feeling.  Milani's pitch black still has a slight grey tint imo but it still applies rich black. I love it.  I ordered it from the Milani website bc CVS doesn't seem to have it in stock along with other of their new "exclusive" products.  I plan to buy two back ups for my stash if they hit the local CVS. 

"Every saint has a past; every sinner has a future."

"Maybe you should eat makeup so you can try and be pretty on the inside, b*tch."

#Post 7 of 19 OFFLINE   BombDiggity

BombDiggity

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

I'm planning on picking up a handful of these pressed shadows when I go to the US next month. Vintageortacky totally sold me on them =) 

Here's the link to her blog post about them: http://vintageortack...er-shadow-2012/

#Post 8 of 19 OFFLINE   zadidoll

zadidoll

• Community Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,442 posts
  • Joined 26-February 11

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

Ack! I knew I forgot something in Pasadena! To stop at CVS! Ugh!! Time to order from Milani.

#Post 9 of 19 OFFLINE   calexxia

calexxia

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • Joined 09-January 12

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post

Ack! I knew I forgot something in Pasadena! To stop at CVS! Ugh!! Time to order from Milani.

Then I REALLY shouldn't point out that there is a CVS within a mile or two of BUR, huh? (Didn'tcha go via Bob Hope?)

"The food was terrible and the portions were soooo small!"

#Post 10 of 19 OFFLINE   zadidoll

zadidoll

• Community Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,442 posts
  • Joined 26-February 11

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Yup. I flew out of Bob Hope Airport. Ugh!!! I'll have to wait until July for Las Vegas since I know their is a CVS on the strip near the Bellagio. That or just order it from Milani's website and pay the $5 shipping.

#Post 11 of 19 OFFLINE   calexxia

calexxia

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts
  • Joined 09-January 12

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Yup. I flew out of Bob Hope Airport. Ugh!!! I'll have to wait until July for Las Vegas since I know their is a CVS on the strip near the Bellagio. That or just order it from Milani's website and pay the $5 shipping.

Or talk to someone who HAS a CVS local to 'em that's willing to hook ya up.

FYI, next time you go through BUR, there is a strip mall very close that has an Ulta (no big deal to you NOW) and a REALLY GOOD Nordstrom Rack and Ross (a $4 Betsey Johnson dress? THAT doesn't happen in Phoenix!). Plus, the 1928 Jewelry outlet is very close to the airport as well.

"The food was terrible and the portions were soooo small!"

#Post 12 of 19 OFFLINE   tyari

tyari

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,633 posts
  • Joined 20-March 08

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

Ugh, really? Awww man, I really like my NYX black shadow too. Dang it! Why do they have to go and mess with a good thing! I'm gonna email them! Not sure what that will get me, though... maybe some answers...? lol

Originally Posted by Adrienne View Post

I bought the new Milani e/s except for the brightly colored ones.  I already have similar shades in my collection.  My HG black matte e/s before was by NYX but when I reordered it recently, the formulation was different from the original one I had for years :(.  You can see a grey cast in it and it's not as rich feeling.  Milani's pitch black still has a slight grey tint imo but it still applies rich black. I love it.  I ordered it from the Milani website bc CVS doesn't seem to have it in stock along with other of their new "exclusive" products.  I plan to buy two back ups for my stash if they hit the local CVS. 

#Post 13 of 19 OFFLINE   zadidoll

zadidoll

• Community Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,442 posts
  • Joined 26-February 11

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by calexxia View Post

Quote:

Or talk to someone who HAS a CVS local to 'em that's willing to hook ya up.

FYI, next time you go through BUR, there is a strip mall very close that has an Ulta (no big deal to you NOW) and a REALLY GOOD Nordstrom Rack and Ross (a $4 Betsey Johnson dress? THAT doesn't happen in Phoenix!). Plus, the 1928 Jewelry outlet is very close to the airport as well.

Well I'll be back in January for IMATS 2013 so good to know. ;)

#Post 14 of 19 OFFLINE   Adrienne

Adrienne

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,690 posts
  • Joined 25-September 07

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Beautiijunkii View Post

Ugh, really? Awww man, I really like my NYX black shadow too. Dang it! Why do they have to go and mess with a good thing! I'm gonna email them! Not sure what that will get me, though... maybe some answers...? lol

I know, that e/s was awesome! If I have time tonight I'll take pics of some swatches and see if I can catch the comparison accurately. For all I know I got a dud.

"Maybe you should eat makeup so you can try and be pretty on the inside, b*tch."

#Post 15 of 19 OFFLINE   Adrienne

Adrienne

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,690 posts
  • Joined 25-September 07

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:45 AM

Okay here are the comparisons. None of the swatches were with primer. This is just my bare arm.

DSC00508.jpg

With flash

(L to R) Milani Pitch Black, old NYX Black, new NYX Black

DSC00512.jpg

With flash closeup

L: Milani, R: Old NYX

DSC00511.jpg

With flash closeup

L: Old NYX; R: New NYX

DSC00517.jpg

Swatches with flash

(L to R) Milani, Old NYX, New NYX

DSC00519.jpg

This was this morning. I wiped most of the e/s off my arm with a tissue but this is what was left over. This can give you an idea on their longevity. 

The rest of these pics I took this morning to show it in a more natural light setting.  They are all in the same order (L to R) Milani, Old NYX, and New NYX.

DSC00524.jpg

DSC00525.jpg

DSC00526.jpg

DSC00522.jpg

#Post 16 of 19 OFFLINE   Turboweevel

Turboweevel

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Joined 24-July 09

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:49 AM

That's weird, the new NYX looks darker in the swatches.

#Post 17 of 19 OFFLINE   Adrienne

Adrienne

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,690 posts
  • Joined 25-September 07

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

The issue I have with the new NYX is it's a dry crumbling powder. When I swatched with my finger you can see up close that it has very tiny compressed sections that give the appearance that it's darker than it really is. On the very last picture, you can see where a chunk rolled down the right bottom side.  And on the flash swatch you can tell it's not an even swatch due to the texture. That why when I wiped it off, practically all the pigment came off with it.  I always use a primer on my eyes and it did help some but I never assume everyone is going to use one so for those that don't, imo Milani is the clear winner for a rich matte black :).

#Post 18 of 19 OFFLINE   zadidoll

zadidoll

• Community Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,442 posts
  • Joined 26-February 11

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

Is it my monitor or does the new NYX black look a wee bit on the gray side?

#Post 19 of 19 OFFLINE   Adrienne

Adrienne

Obsessed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,690 posts
  • Joined 25-September 07

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

Is it my monitor or does the new NYX black look a wee bit on the gray side?

Yes, it looks more like a dark satin grey black than an actual matte black.