the tattoo help and advice topic

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
things to consider there are a lot of things to consider when getting a tattoo, where will i get it, what design do i want, how much will it cost, what will my work/career think about it, do i really want it or will i get sick of it in 6 months do i REALLY want it or will i get sick of it if you are the type of person thats unsure that its what you want then i would think about it long and hard, a tattoo is not something thats easy to get rid of, its not like a piercing where you can just take it out and let the hole close up, getting rid of an unwanted tattoo is a long and expensive process so make sure you are 100% about having one before getting it what will my job/career think of it theres also the matter of your job/career to consider, a lot of firms are now getting easier on people with tattoos, i know a guy with a full body suit who has a job with royal mail but its always best to check where your firm stands regarding tattoos because while a lot of them now dont mind people who have tattoos there are still some that would prefer you not to have them in visible places choosing a place to get it placement on your body of a tattoo is something a lot of people struggle to decide, its something that should be discussed with your artist as they can give the best advice on what will look good where, when choosing a place try to picture your design in said place (i know this is hard but even try doing a rough drawing of your design on the place you want it, try using henna which will fade after a couple of weeks) doing this gives you an idea of how your idea will work in the place you have chosen your artist will be able to advise you on what fits where, i went to my artist with a design i wanted on my inside forearm but he said straight away it would look %&*$# as it was a good and big design that if done on a forearm would have to be done so small it wouldnt do it justice also again going back to what your work will think when choosing a place to have your tat this has to be considered to, if its in a visible place your firm may not like that so a less visible place might be better choosing your design now, a lot of people think that the design HAS to mean something to you to get it as a tattoo and you shouldnt just choose a design off the wall of the studio, i dont think like this, i have 4 tattoos and only 1 really means something to me, one of them was picked off the wall of the studio and i have no regrets other than the place i got it done at to some people the design meaning something to them is very important but its not the case for everyone so dont let it put you off getting a tattoo, if its a design you like dont think 'it doesnt mean something to me so i shouldnt get it' if you 100% want it then get it how much will it cost now, im a firm believer that quality>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> cost, take it from someone who out of her 4 tattoos has made this mistake TWICE! 2 of my tattoos were as cheap as chips to get done but they also turned out shite and they need going over again so all in all getting them done and then redone will cost me more than if i had of gone to the place that charges a little more in the first place, which leads me onto the next section choosing your studio this is something else i also take a lot of time in deciding but once you find the perfect studio youve got one for life really, there are 3 things i do when choosing a studio 1) have a look on the net to see if they have a web site 2) go into the studio to have a look (lets face it no one wants to go into a dirty rat filled hell hole to have a tattoo) and 3) look at some of their work if they have a web site then you can have a look at their work on there, if they dont have a site then get yo ass down to their place and have a nosey, if they are a friendly bunch (and most tattoo places are) they wont mind you coming in to have a look and they wont mind you having a look at their work as most artists jump at the chance to show their work off i find that the best studios are the ones where you walk into and straight away you feel at ease with the place, ive had my tattoos in 3 separate places and only 1 place made me feel totally at ease, taking your design in and having a chat with the artists is a great way of getting the feel of a place and at the same time you can get a price for the piece you want but again, please DO NOT JUST GO FOR THE CHEAPEST ONE, THIS TATTOO IS ON YOU FOR LIFE! if the best place turns out to be the cheapest then great but more often than not if you want a decent tattoo you will have to pay that bit extra but you shouldnt mind that if its something you really really want the process of tattooing 1. Clean hands with medical soap and alcohol. 2. Tattooist sets up machines, new needles, new ink, new gloves, new vaseline. 3. Tattooist puts latex free gloves on. 4. Tattooist cleans area of tattoo. 5. Tattooist shaves area of tattoo. 6. Tattooist cleans area again and applies stencil. 7. Tattooist checks if customer has any allergies to anything in tattoo ink by applying a little ink to the skin. 8. Tattooist adjusts machines to proper settings. 9. Tattooist does tattoo whilst applying vaseline. 10. Tattooist cleans all excess ink and blood (may get some on clothes). 11. Tattooist applies vaseline and dressing to tattoo. 12. Tattooist explains aftercare of tattoo. some tattooists wont do number 7 if you already have tattoos, mine doesnt whats the pain like/how much does it hurt everyone will feel the pain of a tattoo differently, to me it feels like when you are sunburnt and you scratch it but ive heard some say it feels like when a cat scratches you as for how much it hurts, well again everyones different, what hurts one might not hurt another and vice versa, as a rule its normally the bonier the area the more it will hurt but again this isnt always the case, one of the questions most asked about tattoos is 'how much does it hurt' (i know ive asked this myself lol) but honestly its not a question anyone but yourself can answer and lets face it, if it was that bad people wouldnt get more and more tattoos right??? and just think at the end of it you will have the design you love for the rest of your life aftercare any good tattooist will give his/her clients full after care instructions but i know that some dont (shame on them) my first tattooist didnt and i was too much of a noob to ask for any all artists have different ways they work with and its always advised that you follow what your artist says, some say use bepanthen some say use tattoo goo and some say use vaseline, always follow what your artists says to do and if in doubt about anything just give your studio a ring heres what i do for mine wash and bepanthen 4 times a day (wash with a mind unscented soap, i use simple soap) dont thicken the cream on, bepanthen is quite thick so you dont need a lot, after a few days you will notice it peeling and itching (the itchings a witch! but under no circumstances scratch it DO NOT SCRATCH) and dont worry about the skin coming off when you rub the cream in, if it comes off it was ready to, i also wrap it in cling film when going to bed or going out, depending on the placement of the tattoo it might be difficult to do this but even cutting a bit of cling film off and taping the 4 sides down is IMO better than nothing when im in the house i leave it unwrapped and uncovered, again depending on the placement of the design leaving it totally uncovered is sometimes impossible but it should be done as much as possible keeping a tattoo moist is the key as it keep scabbing down to a minimum after about a week/week and a half (when the itching/peeling was over) i used E45 till my skin got back to normal (which was about 5-6 days) i hope this post helps some people and if anyones got anything to add feel free now if you will excuse me, im off to put my fingers in the freezer as i have steam coming off them

OMG!  I'm sure you have lots of good info but that post is way to difficult to read.  

One thing i can add - make sure you really like the colour of the ink.

I have a tattoo on my wrist - dark, rich colour of blue.

Now I wish the tattoo ink had been a lighter colour of blue.

I'll have to talk to a tattoo artist to see if anything can be done - maybe retrace with white?

I heard it all depends on the original type of ink, so we shall see.

Originally Posted by mammn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thank you i tray use simple english
I think it's the formatting more than the wording, it would be much easier to read with some paragraph breaks

Originally Posted by BrittneyMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it's the formatting more than the wording, it would be much easier to read with some paragraph breaks

ok i try it.

This exactly.

Originally Posted by BrittneyMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I came across this forum and surf with this forum. I like it much and look informative. I would like to say hello to all the forum members. Hope has a good time with you all.

Originally Posted by mammn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I came across this forum and surf with this forum. I like it much and look informative. I would like to say hello to all the forum members. Hope has a good time with you all.
Welcome. But like everyone else has already posted, developing your english grammar, structure and formatting will help you out tremendously on this forum.

Good luck!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Dragonfly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One thing i can add - make sure you really like the colour of the ink.

I have a tattoo on my wrist - dark, rich colour of blue.

Now I wish the tattoo ink had been a lighter colour of blue.

I'll have to talk to a tattoo artist to see if anything can be done - maybe retrace with white?

I heard it all depends on the original type of ink, so we shall see.
Yeah, I heard that too with older inks, also, UV rays wreck havoc on tattoo inks as does the loss of collogen (skin's elasticity). And as we all well know... The bigger the piece, the better it will hold up as we age, especially with the newer inks that are now available.

When I was new I probably would've but not now. I'm sure something spammy is going on plus that's just too damn much to read.

Back