Acne getting worse!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in my teens and have had acne (not too severe) on my forehead. But lately I'm getting breakouts on my cheeks as well, my forehead is not that bad anymore. I wash my face everyday twice a day with Phisoderm anti blemish gel facial wash. I also began using an exfoliator which I only use three times per week. Could it be this new product that I began to use? The exfoliator I use is St Ives Naturally Clear apricot scrub. I do use makeup  but I doubt that is the problem. Any tips on what do do? 

A little personal so feel free not to answer but just think about it.  Do your break outs occur prior to your period?  Hormonal breaks stink, because no matter what you do they just don't seem to go away because they are caused by hormone imbalance.  I struggled with that as well.  I'm not 25 and do not get many hormonal break outs at all - so don't worry.  It will get better.  

If you don't think it's hormonal related, I just bought a product from Control Corrective today.  I will let you know in a week or so if I think it's good enough to recommend.  Best of luck to you! Try not to stress too much - :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If your acne just won't go away, it might be hormone related. The only way to fix that is with medication. But first, try switching up products if you think it's related to the new stuff you've started using.

You might want to try adding Benzoil Peroxide to your skin care routine. There are several good, over the counter, ones to try. The next time you go to the drug store, ask the Pharmacist to show you a couple to consider. You shouldn't have to pay more than $10 for a decent one.  

Originally Posted by Kristin1387 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A little personal so feel free not to answer but just think about it.  Do your break outs occur prior to your period?  Hormonal breaks stink, because no matter what you do they just don't seem to go away because they are caused by hormone imbalance.  I struggled with that as well.  I'm not 25 and do not get many hormonal break outs at all - so don't worry.  It will get better.  
Yes, actually I have noticed that they occur prior to my period, but after that the blemishes don't completely go away. I hope it does get better and will try not to stress about it, since stress is bad for the skin as well... & Looking forward to your opinion on Control Corrective. Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Be careful with the exfoliating because that can just make it worse. Have you ever tried Proactiv? It worked for me.

Originally Posted by Love322 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, actually I have noticed that they occur prior to my period, but after that the blemishes don't completely go away. I hope it does get better and will try not to stress about it, since stress is bad for the skin as well... & Looking forward to your opinion on Control Corrective. Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
That is exactly what happened to me... they just stuck around and then by the time they are almost gone the come back with my period.  It did get corrected with oral medication for hormones, but try switching up your skin care one product at a time in order to tell what is working and what is not.

The product Im receiving on Monday does contain SULFUR which some are allergic to, just a heads up!  

If you are in your teens it is almost certainly at least partially hormone related which will fix itself in time. I had acne as a teen and the more products I tried, the worse my skin got. I have sensitive skin and most cleansers and exfoliants made my face worse. If you scrub your face hard or exfoliate too often you can actually tear at the pores of your skin and leave them more open and vulnerable. Keep in mind that food and environmental allergies can exacerbate acne as well.

My best advice for minimizing acne is:

Gently wash your face twice a day with delicate cleansers like Cetaphil. It cleans but doesn't irritate sore or sensitive skin.

Sleep enough so your body has time to repair each day.

Drink enough water to flush toxins from your body each day.

Eat properly. I know it sounds silly but if you are eating junk food, it will show on your face. Avoid eating trigger foods like sodas, cocoa, alcohol.

Only exfoliate once a week.

When adding new products to your beauty regimen, only add one at a time and allow at least two weeks to see if it works with your skin.

Most of all, don't make yourself crazy about it. Most of us go through it and can sympathize.

Here is what I do: 1. Wash my face twice a day (morning and night) with a light face wash with some (but not a lot) of exfoliators in it. 2. Get as much sleep as I possibly can. 3. Drink like a fish. Put as much water into my body as I let out through sweat, and even more than that unil I am fully hydrated. 4. Use a light, medicated concealer to hide larger acne dots and help heal them. 5. Eat your vegetables. 6. Moisturize. Many people think that moisture is the same thing as adding oil, but that is not true. As long as your skin is clean when you apply moisturizer, and the moisturizer is oil-free, this step will help a lot. Use a light one for spring and summer, and a heavier one for fall and winter. 7. Don't be embarrased. If you don't make a huge deal about it, no one else will! Hope this Helps!

even my acne are getting worse, but I guess m 21 so my friend told me its Adult Acne.

My favorite thing right now, which is keeping my acne at bay is Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Cream Cleanser. I use it daily, along with Aveeno's Smart Essentials, and I have very few breakouts. Also, a few times a week I use St. Ives Gentle Apricot Scrub.

The St. Ives scrub broke me out everytime I ever used it and I'm 43!  it's not a good idea to use a, "scrub" type exfoliator when you have a breakout because it aggravates it and makes it even worse. I either use a chemical exfoliator, or a clay exfoliating mask for sensitive, acne prone skin. As a matter of fact, any product I use on my face has to be geared toward sensitive skin. Also, Try taking 4- 5 regular uncoated asprin,  crush them up with a few drops of water to make a paste, and pat it on the affected areas and leave it on for 15-20 mins. This works very well for me. It takes down the inflamation and helps clear up the breakout. I do this twice a week when my skin is acting up. Try not to pick or squeeze. I find that this doesn't help at all. If the problem keeps getting worse, seek the advice of a Dermatologist. And remember, it is very important that anything you use on your face suck as makeup brushes, towels and fingers, etc. always be clean. Good luck!!

Originally Posted by Meshybelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The St. Ives scrub broke me out everytime I ever used it and I'm 43!  it's not a good idea to use a, "scrub" type exfoliator when you have a breakout because it aggravates it and makes it even worse. I either use a chemical exfoliator, or a clay exfoliating mask for sensitive, acne prone skin. As a matter of fact, any product I use on my face has to be geared toward sensitive skin. Also, Try taking 4- 5 regular uncoated asprin,  crush them up with a few drops of water to make a paste, and pat it on the affected areas and leave it on for 15-20 mins. This works very well for me. It takes down the inflamation and helps clear up the breakout. I do this twice a week when my skin is acting up. Try not to pick or squeeze. I find that this doesn't help at all. If the problem keeps getting worse, seek the advice of a Dermatologist. And remember, it is very important that anything you use on your face suck as makeup brushes, towels and fingers, etc. always be clean. Good luck!!
I finally got on board with the aspirin masque and am loving it! Definitely see a difference and feel that it cuts down on flare ups and redness. I've also been using a masque with benzoyl peroxide beads by AcneFree...something like that? Just a drugstore brand, but I like it. You apply and the gently rub and spread over your face, letting the beads (which are blue) dissapate and mix with the masque. Leave on for several minutes and then rinse off!

I find face products with sulfur works best for my acne. The rest do nothing for it. I'm sorry you are dealing with that. I have adult acne that is mainly hormonal so I understand your frustrations.

PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS REMEDY. 

AFTER YEARS of HORRID ACNE and oily skin... I finally found the solution!!!

FIRST - my doc prescribed 6 weeks worth of oral antibiotic for the ongoing infection...

THEN>... months later, I am keeping the acne at bay with PURE tea tree oil (straight... not in another product)...

I take a quarter sized amount of non-comedomic natural moisturizer, 3-4 drops tea tree oil, 2 drops of jojoba oil (I had shiny slick, oily skin before... this regulates in like 2-3 days, I use a mattifying powder after from clinique to even out any shiny issues from the oil).... then i mix the 3 products (moisturizer, tea tree and jojoba)... 

To get rid of the scars - LEGIT IT WORKS ..... (i am skeptic)... CLINIQUE DARK SPOT CORRECTOR = MIRACLE IN 4 weeks... I also use clinique "even better" foundation, then top any strong scars (when I needed it) with a tea tree oil cover up from body shop, then clinique matte powder to help counteract the oil I put on my face... 

For the first bit instead of moisturizer I was using the clinique spot corrector stuff... 

I went from horrid acne girl (LEGIT ALLL OVER MY FACE, chest and back)

The main thing that helped get it under control, more than any prescription cream, prescription wash or other pill was the ANTIBIOTIC>.. I was on diane35 for acne for years and it was never as good as the oral antibiotic at getting my face under control...

Back