-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

Sulfate free shampoos & silicone free conditioners?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 11 OFFLINE   paigenyna

paigenyna

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 25-July 12

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

I was directed toward sulfate free shampoos & silicone free conditioners for my damaged hair.

Mane N Tail horse shampoo/conditioner (The Color Protect or Moisture lines) & Bedhead Brunette Goddess are the two combos I've been looking at. Not sure if they are sulfate & silicone free though. I'm looking at the websites though.

Anyways my question is, do you know of any other combos I should look at?

Do any of you like these two combos?

Thanks!

#Post 2 of 11 OFFLINE   paigenyna

paigenyna

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 25-July 12

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:29 AM

The Mane N Tail shampoos all have sulfate. But their Color Protect conditioner doesn't have silicone listed in its ingredients. Dimethicone is there, though. Is that a type of silicone?

So I'm now checking out the Bedhead line for sulfate and silicone.

#Post 3 of 11 OFFLINE   paigenyna

paigenyna

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 25-July 12

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

Product of more research...

Bedhead's Brunette Goddess shampoo has sulfate (UGH!). Bedhead's Recovery conditioner doesn't have silicone. The Brunette Goddess conditioner has two ingredients ending in -icone.

#Post 4 of 11 OFFLINE   SunYoung

SunYoung

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 26-July 12

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

I've never tried Mane & Tail, but I've tried some sulfate-free shampoos from Live Clean (available at Wal-Mart I believe). Organix is another brand that is readily available, I really love their moroccan argan oil shampoo. I haven't tried this one, but I know that L'oreal has a sulfate-free line. As for silicones, Tresemme has their naturals line which includes a silicone-free conditioner!

#Post 5 of 11 OFFLINE   alphaloria

alphaloria

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Joined 12-April 12

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by paigenyna View Post

Dimethicone is there, though. Is that a type of silicone?

Yes, dimethicone is the one I see most commonly. Anything ending in -cone is a silicone.

There's a list of silicones on this page: http://makeupandbeauty.com/why-use-a-silicone-free-shampoo/ as well as some other information you might find useful.

#Post 6 of 11 OFFLINE   Antidentite

Antidentite

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Joined 08-March 12

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:06 PM

Are you going CG?  This is a really good resource:

http://dormroomcurly...ions-table.html

Dimethicone is definitely a cone, your going to want to avoid any ingredients that end in -cone, -conal, -xane UNLESS it is prefaced with PEG or PPG.  If they have PEG or PPG (ex. PEG-12 Dimethicone) they're water soluable and you can use them. 

I co-wash my hair and use Suave coconut conditioner to wash and then use Generic Value Products Conditioning Balm (sold at Sallys).  The GVP Conditioner is realllyyyy great, super hydrating if your hair is dry, its comparable to Biolage's conditioning balm.  I also really like Giovanni LA 50:50 conditioner and Desert Essence Conditioners, all of the products I've mentioned are Sulfate and Silicone free. 

#Post 7 of 11 OFFLINE   Keihs

Keihs

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 02-August 12

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

Are you trying the Curly Girl Method? Here are some silicone-free conditioners I know: VO5 (all) - very cheap (<$3), lots of different scents, thin, watery, runny Suave Naturals - cheap too, different scents, thicker and creamier than VO5 Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition - very moisturizing, like a deep conditioner White Rain conditioners Aubrey Organics http://healthycurls....e-conditioners/ Check that site for a WAY longer list and it also has lots of info to help you out or just google it. Theres lots of information about cone free conditioners

#Post 8 of 11 OFFLINE   Keihs

Keihs

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 02-August 12

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

If you're looking for silicones, check for ingredients ending in '-cone' and '-xane.' Btw, cones arent the only thing that can cause build up so watch out. I dont really use sulfate free shampoos but I heard that Organix shampoos are sulfate free. One of the JASON shampoo does too, but I'm not sure what the name is.

#Post 9 of 11 OFFLINE   fabulousfemme

fabulousfemme

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Joined 20-July 12

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

The Ostia Collection! I love their shampoo and conditioning mask. They are sulfate free, silicone free, paraben free, and color safe! The collection is actually created for hair extensions, but it works on natural hair too. Not too expensive either like other sulfate free shampoos.

I usually get them at Amazon:

But you can go to their website too:

Links deleted per Terms of Service.

#Post 10 of 11 OFFLINE   reepy

reepy

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • Joined 12-March 12

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:31 PM

Devachan makes excellent sulfate free stuff!

#Post 11 of 11 OFFLINE   Jz babydoll

Jz babydoll

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 19-March 14

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:50 PM

Does anyone know if mane n tale has sulfate?