Gone but not forgotten--what products do you wish would come back?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What has been discontinued or phased out, or what company has gone under, that you wish was around now? I have never forgiven Bonne Bell for getting rid of their gel blush from way back in the day. It was inexpensive yet it wore like iron. Origins has a good one now, but it's $15 for a tube half the size, and sometimes i've bought them only half to two-thirds full. Gels are my favorite for high summer, and so hard to come by! There was also a lipstick from a company called Cabot, it was brown with pink and mauve shimmer. I have never found anything like it. And Coty Big Pan Blush. It had two colors and was HUGE! I think they did Angel Face powder, which had lovely vintage-y packaging was was wonderfully effective for being right out of the drugstore.

As long as they had it, I used to wear Stila's powder blush in Tutu. They've since discontinued that line of blushes, but I do have one that's soooo old that I've been slowly using, just because I don't want it to go away.

Another product I loved was this deep conditioner from the Bath and Body Works Aquatania line. That entire line really didn't stay around all that long, which really disappointed me. They had a ton of them at the annual after Christmas sale right after they discontinued it, and I just went nutso and stocked up on them. 

I'm sure there are other things I've missed, but those are the only things I could think of right now. 

Elizabeth Arden Let There Be Light in the compact. I loved it about 10 years ago--would I still love it? Probably.

You know, I honestly  can't think of anything. I've never had a real make up routine, just always over purchased and used whatever I had that was new and exciting. The one product I've used for at least 9 years now that I still love though is Maybelline lash discovery mascara. I would definitely notice if that was discontinued, it was discontinued in the brown color, but they still make very black so I get by. 

The original Suave mousse in the brown canister.  I don't remember how well it worked, but I LOVED the scent.  And they had discontinued the Prescriptives line entirely but brought it back on-line only last year.  Yay!  Prescriptives Virtual Skin is still may favorite foundation.

I fell in love with this product right when they announced it discontinued:  Maybelline Lash Stylist
icon_cry.gif

Jane cosmetics.  They had this lipstick I loved SOO much!

And I second the pink bottles of Herbal Essence!

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you looked at maybelline's discontinued products page? http://www.maybelline.com/discontinued-products/

It's pretty neat, they suggest a replacement.
Thanks for the link. I have used this before and the replacement is the Colossal mascara. I love the Colossal mascara, it's a nice substitute but I favored the Last Stylist wand. I have yet to test the Stylis wand on the Colossal mascara. It might be a big difference.

Origins No Offense deodorant.

Why, oh why did it have to go? Lol

It was a deodorant that didn't smell like a deodorant, which is one of the reasons I loved it.

Sigh...

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Jane is still around!
Emilynoel on Youtube just a did a blog post about Jane. I think she said that they were relaunching with a bunch of new products, so they're still alive and well:)

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Jane is still around!
I had forgotten about Jane! I loved it through much of the 90's. They used to have these great little pep-talk flyers for girls that were a blend of makeup tips and Dale Carnegie, suggesting ways to be confident and make friends while learning how to use an eyeliner. The products were great for being so cheap, I thought even better than most of the usual drugstore brands. Then they did a total overhaul of their product line, got rid of every last one of my favorite products, and unfortunately the quality as well as selection began to slip. No retailer in Buffalo or Niagara Falls sells Jane now, to my knowledge; they appear to have dropped it in favor of Rimmel.

Do you think we can include perfume? I have also never quite forgiven The Body Shop for having ditched Dewberry and Satsuma perfume oils. I can still get Satsuma body butter, but I loved that perfume. Two drops in the morning was all I needed!

I really don't like the discontinued products in general. Some of them were great. There are so many that I wish I could have gotten a chance to try. I wish I knew what makes a company decide to discontinue a product.

I could understand if the product were a very poor seller. But when I worked at The Body Shop, Satsuma was a huge seller, one of the biggest. I never got why a company would scrap something big.

There was a Milani lipstick that they discontinued two years ago that I was totally smitten by. I have it in a couple of colors but my favorite one is almost out. It was so smooth and smelled so nice.

Back