Birchbox Quality Over Two Years, Up or Down? The answer might surprise you.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gypsiemagic

Grace
Reaction score
Okay, I have been working on this all night, lol. I was trying to figure out for myself if the quality of BB is actually slipping, or if its just part of the natural variation of the boxes. I know a lot of people haven't been subbed for as long as I have, so I have some pretty solid data to work off of. I made comparisons of all the boxes I have gotten to date. Jan - October, 2011-2012, I left off Nov and Dec, because there was nothing to compare them to. 

Well turns out they have actually for the most part been improving, there have been bad boxes along the way here and there, but generally, the quality has remained consistent. I have actually preferred many of the 2012 boxes to the boxes from the same months in 2011. Obviously this is specific to my profiles (which I can share if you want, I use a couple tricks on them) but, I don't think my boxes are unusually bad or good. I do however think that there is a relationship to it being the end of the year, and the samples are a little less generous, Probably because the companies spend the marketing money on Holiday stuff, just my thought. The first half of the year both years seem to be better overall when compared to the second halves of both years.

Enjoy!, and comment with what you think :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Symbols:

Blue Dot - Full Size

Green Dot - Deluxe Sample

Orange Dot - Sample, (either packet, or something I was generally unhappy with) 

2012.2 is my second sub I got for Teen Vogue

Interesting! I've only been subbed since April of this year and started a second sub in May and can't compare like you. The 2012 boxes seem to contain more items than 2011 from your pics.

I've been saying this, but no one believed me. lol

I LOVED June & July of 2011, but for the most part was unimpressed. All the boxes I've received since May of this year have been great, though.

Interesting theory. I've only been subbed since Jan 2012, but your reasoning makes perfect sense. I suppose the closer we get to the end of the year, the less samples BB has left over to reuse and the more money companies are spending elsewhere.

Neat research, thanks for sharing! =)

Wow - excellent sleuthing. I had to laugh a little because you have the Eye Rock stikcers marked as a full size item and so many people complain about not getting full size items but act like those stickers are radioactive (I am one of those people by the way - there is no circumstance under which I can imagine using those things, but still, it amuses me how folks get riled up over so many contradictory things).

april 2012 is incorrect, i received willa and it was NOT a full size, it was a generous sample size.

also the ada bronzer in july 2012, i was under the impression from what i read on here before that it was a generous sample and not a full size product, but i didn't receive it so i don't know. some of the reviews i found seem to say it's a sample as well.

Here's mine.

2011 2012 January January

1. LÄRABAR® Mini Bars - deluxe size
  2. Clark's Botanicals Smoothing Marine Cream- deluxe size
  3. Juicy Couture - Juicy Couture - vial size
  4. stila smudge stick waterproof eye liner - full size
  5. Archipelago Pomegranate Body Soap- deluxe size
 ​
I like the Stila eyeliner but haven't replaced it because I barely used it. The Clark's Botanicals came open but I eventually did use it. The rest... the Larabar went to my daughter, the soap I still have in a drawer and the perfume I gave to my other daughter. Doubt I'll ever replace the Stila eyeliner.​
February February

1. Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint - tiny tube
  2. Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum - small tube
  3. Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant® - deluxe size
  4. Eye Rock Designer Liner - full size
 ​
 ​
I have to admit I hated this box at first. The only thing I've used out of it and ended up liking was the Dermalogica which I've since bought a full size. I ended up with a 2nd deluxe size Demalogica the following month from Sample Society. Between the two samples it took me about four or five months to use up the samples and have been using the containers to refill from the full size. And I still don't like the Eyerock but have a ton of other their products including a 2nd set of those eyeliners. lol​
March March

1. stila smoky eye shadow - paper card
  2. boscia Green Tea Blotting Linens - full size
  3. Kusmi Tea Paris - I Love My Detox Tea - 3 tea bags
  4. Color Club® Neon Nail Polish - 1/2 size of full size
  5. Grandma Stelle's Hand Wash - deluxe size
  6. Traditions by Nick Chavez Yucca Shampooing Cream - deluxe size
 ​
That Stila card was a joke but I DID use it at IMATS and got two uses out of it. Hated the tea, nasty tasting tea... I love tea but that tea was disgusting. I've used the blotting linens at CPNA and it was fine. Used the Color Club polish. Never used the hand wash and passed the shampooing cream to my middle daughter but I do have a 2nd one from another sampling company.​
April April

1. Dropps Laundry Detergent - I think it had 2 or 3 samples
  2. willaâ„¢ Lavender Facial Towelettes - deluxe size
  3. Zoya TRUE Spring Collection - 1/2 size of full size
  4. Wonderstruck Taylor Swift - vial
  5. J.R. Watkins Hand & Cuticle Salve - deluxe size
 ​
Passed the perfume on to one of my daughters. Used the towelettes at IMATS but I'll never replace it since the towelettes were small wipes, the rest... no idea what I did with the rest except of the polish which I've used.​
May May

1. fresh Sugar Rosé Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15 - deluxe size
  2. BVLGARI Omnia Crystalline Eau de Toilette Spray - vial size
  3. Kiehl's Abyssine Cream + - deluxe size
  4. Miracle Skin Transformerâ„¢ Body SPF 20 - deluxe size
  5. Birchbox Notecards
 ​
I've used the Sugar and that was my 2nd one as I had won one from New Beauty and have two more from Sephora for my birthday. Passed the perfume to one of my girls. I've used the Kiehl's but don't recall if I liked it. I've used the Miracle Skin since I recieved a sample from Test Tube and liked it... the body one didn't care for. The notecard gave to another daughter. Only thing I like is the Fresh Sugar but will neve buy a replacement since I get samples of it all the time it seems. lol​
June - my 1st box

1. Herban Essentials Towelettes - 2 foil packets
  2. XEN-TAN Deep Bronze Luxe - deluxe size, never used
  3. kate spade new york Twirl - vial sample
  4. Kiehl's Ultra Facial Oil-Free Lotion - deluxe size
  5. Laura Geller Baked Blush-n-Brighten - full size
 ​
I LOVE that Laura Geller blush and bought a second one. It's also the reason I started my daughter her own account because she loved that blush as well. Everything else I either never used (Xen-Tan, Heban) or used one (Kiehl's) or gave to my daughter (Kate Spade)​

June

1. Dr. Jart+ Water Fuse Beauty Balm SPF 25+ - tiny tube that was 1/2 empty
  2. JOYA Âmes Sœurs Parfum - A Scent of Soulmates - vial
  3. theBalm® cosmetics Stainiac - vial
  4. BAND-AID® Brand Adhesive Bandages by Cynthia Rowley Bundle - full size
  5. KELLY VAN GOGH® Colour Protecting Caviar Shampoo - foil packet
  6. KELLY VAN GOGH® Colour Protecting Caviar Conditioner - foil packet
  7. Melvita Floral Water - deluxe size
 ​
I used the Dr. Jart at IMATS, passed the perfume on to a daughter, still have the Stainiac which I've used and like. Band-aids were used by my daughters. I took the shampoo and conditioner to IMATS as well and used it - liked the shampoo but not the conditioner if I recall correctly. Still using the floral water since I tend to forget about it. Nothing in that box compels me to buy once I'm out.​
July

1. Redken shine flash 02 glistening mist - deluxe size
  2. Zoya Touch Collection - 1/2 size of full size
  3. AHAVA Mineral Hand Cream - deluxe size
  4. philosophy® purity made simple™ one-step facial cleanser - deluxe size
  5. Kind bar
 ​
If I recall correctly that was the month my eldest daughter's subscription also started and both our boxes were lost so Birchbox replaced our boxes then our boxes showed up something like almost three weeks after it was mailed. I've used everything in my box and she used everything in hers. We have duplicates of this box since the original boxes arrived after the replacement boxes.​

July

1. AHAVA Purifying Mud Mask - deluxe size
  2. Tea Forté® minteas - full size
  3. Eyeko Skinny Liquid Eyeliner - full size
  4. Alterna BAMBOO® UV+ Color Protection Fade-Proof Fluide - deluxe size
  5. Harvey Prince Hello - vial
  6. Birchbox Exclusive Earbuds
 ​
I forgot that I got the mud mask from Birchbox... I never used it but I have used the full size one from AHAVA and it made me itch. I had the mints from Eco-Emi and loved the flavor I got from Eco-Emi, the pear flavor ones from Birchbox... yuk. Those ended up in the trash but I kept the tin. Loved the Eyeko liner, took my daughters' liners (traded). The Alterna... I think I used it once. Perfume... passed it on. The earbuds broke within a few days but the quality was bad to begin with like cheap 50 cent earbuds you get at a dollar store.​
August

1. WEIâ„¢ Tibetan Chrysanthemum correcting eye treatment pads - 2 foil packets
  2. blinc Eyeliner in Black - deluxe size
  3. Carol's Daughter® Monoi Repairing Hair Mask - foil packet I think?
  4. Pangea Organics Cleanser for Oily to Combination Skin - deluxe sample
  5. twistbandâ„¢ Hair Tie - full size sample of 1 tie
 ​
I really didn't care for this box at first. I've used everything in the box though and ended up really liking the Pangea Organics Cleanser but not enough to buy a full size, not even with points.​
August

1. Schick Hydro Silk Razor - full size
  2. Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive - 2 foil packets
  3. Comodynes Hydra-Tanning Face Moisturizing Summer Glow - never got
  4. Beauty Fixation Make Up Remover - three q-tips
  5. Juicy Couture Viva la Juicy La Fleur - vial
  6. DDF® Brightening Cleanser - deluxe size
 ​
What a freaking joke August was. I was missing products from the box and the only item I wanted to try - the razor - ended up getting swiped by one of my daughters (who each had their own razors in their own boxes). That was my girls last month with Birchbox.​
September

1. Incoco® Nail Polish Appliqué - deluxe sample (I still have this I think)
  2. colorescience pro® sunforgettable® Mineral Sun Protection Powder - deluxe size
  3. Jouer Lip Enhancer - TINY tube
  4. Jurlique Purely Age-Defying Firm and Lift Cream - small tube
  5. Salvatore Ferragamo Attimo L'Eau Florale - small vial
  6. Birchbox bracelet - LMAO
 ​
Oh I remember this box well. I HATED everything in this box and the only thing I've used out of it is the Colorscience foundation which was too orange for me. That Jouer Lip Enhancer was a joke.​
September

1. twistbandâ„¢ Hair Tie - 1 full size band
  2. LÄRABAR® über - deluxe size
  3. WEIâ„¢ to Go Sleep Over Kit: Real Clean and Ideal Skin - foil packets
  4. 21 drops Aromatherapy Blends - deluxe vial size
  5. Birchbox and Color Club® Custom Collection - 1/2 size of full size
  6. Nexxus® Pro-Mend Split End Binding Targeted Leave-In Treatment - foil packet
  7. Nexxus® Pro-Mend Split End Treatment Daily Conditioner- foil packet
  8. Nexxus® Pro-Mend Split End Treatment Daily Shampoo- foil packet

Haven't used anything in this box because I didn't really open my box to look. I know I got everything cause I did open it to check but the box and the samples are somewhere among my things. I take that back... the Larabar went to one of my girls.​
October

1. Pangea Organics Facial Scrub - deluxe size
  2. blinc Mascara- deluxe size
  3. Ouidad Climate Control® Heat & Humidity Gel - foil size
  4. The Lash Card - no idea
  5. AHAVA Mineral Foot Cream - deluxe size
 ​
I think this was another box that disappointed me at first but I've ended up using everything but the Lash Card and the Ouidad. Haven't bought any replacements for the items in it.​
October

1. Kiehl's Aromatic Blends: Orange Flower & Lychee - Liquid Body Cleanser
  2. Joanna Vargas Daily Serum
  3. Naked Princess Naked Shine Luscious Lip Gloss
  4. LUNA Fiber Chocolate Raspberry
  5. essie® fall picks Nail Polish Collection
 ​
Waiting for this box. Tracking has yet to update.​

November

1. LaROCCA Champagne and Shimmer Supreme Creme - deluxe size
  2. Atelier Cologne Vanille Insensée Cologne Absolue - vial size
  3. Two Paperdolls Coasters - two coasters, what a joke
  4. BORGHESE Fango Active Mud Face & Body - deluxe size
  5. Zoya Gems & Jewels Collection - 1/2 size of full size
 ​
The only things I liked were the LaROCCA and the Zoya... both of which I've used only once or twice.​
November December

1. Jouer Moisturizing Lip Gloss - mini size
  2. Harvey Prince Ageless - Pink Grapefruit - vial size
  3. OROFLUIDO Elixir - mini size
  4. ShowStoppers® Designer Fashion Tape in Nude/Black - "foil" type size
  5. Benefit The POREfessional - mini size
  6. EBOOST Orange Natural Energy Booster - 1 packet
 ​
I've used the Jouer lip gloss, and it was tiny, along with the Benefit Porefessional, oh and the EBOOST. The only thing from this box that I've bought full size (using points so I scored it for free) is the POREfessional.​
December

Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif

april 2012 is incorrect, i received willa and it was NOT a full size, it was a generous sample size.

also the ada bronzer in july 2012, i was under the impression from what i read on here before that it was a generous sample and not a full size product, but i didn't receive it so i don't know. some of the reviews i found seem to say it's a sample as well.
Yea, I had never seen either of them before, so I just compared them to similar products I had and decided they counted as small full size products. mostly on the grounds that I will never finish them :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Auntboo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow - excellent sleuthing. I had to laugh a little because you have the Eye Rock stikcers marked as a full size item and so many people complain about not getting full size items but act like those stickers are radioactive (I am one of those people by the way - there is no circumstance under which I can imagine using those things, but still, it amuses me how folks get riled up over so many contradictory things).
ahhahaha, I actually ended up using them not really as eyeliner per se, but they made really great stickers for french manicures :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I would have been orange if it were only one set, but it was packaged, and fair is fair, just because I don't like it doesn't mean it isn't a generous size :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

ahhahaha, I actually ended up using them not really as eyeliner per se, but they made really great stickers for french manicures :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I would have been orange if it were only one set, but it was packaged, and fair is fair, just because I don't like it doesn't mean it isn't a generous size :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Clever!!

thank you! I prefer to maintain a generally positive outlook on Birchbox, I don't know how people can still be mad when they get samples they don't like. That's kindof the point, as much as it shows me products I love, it also shows me products I hate, so I don't waste more money on them :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I have gotten so much makeup, full size products in the actual boxes, and I have made many purchases using just points! I have no hate for this awesome service :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

When I look over my box history on my account, BB has actually been good to me, I have received 6 and 7 items per box, its only been recently that I just received 5, and those have been  higher end deluxe samples for the most part, more deluxe samples than foil packets.  If you think about it, its hard to let go when its only 10.00.  Also, I sub to a few other beauty boxes, so its not like I am destitute for skin care or makeup samples.  If you are one of those people trying to get by on samples without purchasing any full size products, then BB will not make you happy, of course, looking at the comments on the October 2012 box, some of you will never be happy.

I'm relatively new to Birchbox (this October box will be my 4th) and so far I'm really happy with what I've been receiving. I wasn't thrilled with the nasty Lara Bar and the tinny-sounding headphones in my first box, but I completely fell in love with both the Jouer Lip Enhancer and the Hello perfume by Harvey Prince. I decided to stick it out and have continuously found great products (so far I think the winner is the Sabon Foot Cream, with the Vanilla Bean Mighty Leaf Tea being a close second - so delicious!). Sure, some sample sizes are tiny, like the Jouer sample, but if I end up liking them then it's worth it!

When I signed up for BB, I had barely discovered that subscription boxes existed, and I was so excited. I am not a make-up person - not that I don't want to try things out, but because I don't know how to use anything yet (I even mistakenly thought my Jouer Tinted Moisturizer sample was for my lips like their Lip Enhancer was 
blink.gif
 ). This makes BB even better for me, because I can get introduced to more products and watch their videos on how to use them, without spending lots of money in stores buying products I don't know anything about.

Plus, I'm a bit addicted to getting packages in the mail - opening my BB feels like I'm opening an awesome present!

This forum is also starting to become rather addicting...

I am always so surprised about how much people complain, this is why we started with BB, to try things before we buy. Of course we wont LOVE everything yet we still can make points off of reviews. I count my self lucky I can waste 10$ on a lot less.

Originally Posted by her1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am always so surprised about how much people complain, this is why we started with BB, to try things before we buy. Of course we wont LOVE everything yet we still can make points off of reviews. I count my self lucky I can waste 10$ on a lot less.
Seriously, here in San Francisco I can't get an alcoholic beverage for under $10. Or Lunch, or Parking, or roundtrip on BART in and out. $20 here is used like the $1 of the rest of the state, its so damn expensive. So for $10 (okay my boyfriend pays for some of my subs, mostly because he buys a lot of "california medicine" and we treat that and makeup as equal hobbies/expenses) I would rather get a box of goodies than any other $10 item I can think of.

Thanks for the post! What profile tricks can you share that might help ensure some good BB products??

Originally Posted by kldeatley /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the post! What profile tricks can you share that might help ensure some good BB products??
Well, you want to make yourself seem like a brands ideal customer. The brands give samples to BB saying we want these to go to customers who are x y and z

Age range is old enough to buy your own stuff, but not so old you need anti-aging products, or be spending money on kids they want the kind with lots of disposable income

I am really 21, but have my profile set to 23

Income, higher the better tbh. They aren't out there to give people a taste of their makeup if there is no way they would convert to a customer, so set it to the highest.

As for the beauty questions, I keep them legit, there isn't much you can do, because if they have a huge sample to give out one month, but it isn't your color or skin concern, there isn't a point in  lying about them to get it, since you won't be able to use it ( I do keep my hair color different on my two accounts, i bounce back between really highlighted blonde and a bit of an ashier brown blonde, so I could use products for either color.

for the splurge item, I have had great luck leaving it blank on both profiles!

Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seriously, here in San Francisco I can't get an alcoholic beverage for under $10. Or Lunch, or Parking, or roundtrip on BART in and out. $20 here is used like the $1 of the rest of the state, its so damn expensive. So for $10 (okay my boyfriend pays for some of my subs, mostly because he buys a lot of "california medicine" and we treat that and makeup as equal hobbies/expenses) I would rather get a box of goodies than any other $10 item I can think of.
Lol! Story of my life with the $10. EVERTHING in the city is so expensive! I avoid parking in the city at all costs! I rather take bart because its easier and cheaper.

Errrgh I know I usually just keep my car parked at my boyfriends condo in daly city and we über or Bart. I park in the 5th and mission garage if it's after 6pm because the rates are pretty reasonable and wether office is on Kearny right by rickhouse, our preferred bar., but with the new target it's been harder and harder to quickly find a spot. We mostly just stick to uber for convience sake. My boyfriend doesn't even have a license, so I become chauffeur for shopping trips, so I tend to stick to south of sf where there are free parking lots lol :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back