-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

The Return of the MakeupTalk Product Review Center! read more...

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

Makeup packaging

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 93 OFFLINE   Comesticstudent

Comesticstudent

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined 25-October 12
Reviews

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

What makes you buy certain makeup brands over others? is it brand name or packaging?

#Post 2 of 93 OFFLINE   Dalylah

Dalylah

Lacquer Lackey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts
  • Joined 08-July 09
Reviews

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:56 PM

There is usually a specific reason I pick something up. Usually it is a color or style of something I haven't seen or tried before. I almost never purchase solely for packaging.

#Post 3 of 93 OFFLINE   wadedl

wadedl

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • Joined 05-March 12
Reviews

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

The packaging can make me pick up a product but the product has to be great for me to buy it.

• Dahnie Coco and Navygrl31 like this

#Post 4 of 93 OFFLINE   OiiO

OiiO

✿ Anastasia ✿

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • Joined 06-June 12
Reviews

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

The packaging is how I first discovered UD, I loved the way primer potion looked!

#Post 5 of 93 OFFLINE   yoru

yoru

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Joined 19-February 12
Reviews

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

I am neutral on packaging because I care more about the quality of the content, but I still don't want cheap plastic compacts lol

However if I don't mind paying a bit more for the same good stuff with prettier/cuter packaging. Japanese makeup brands are good at these. I just couldn't resist when I know they are still good quality make up.

I mean, who can resist packaging like this?

• KimberlyP and Ruthminney like this

#Post 6 of 93 OFFLINE   MissLindaJean

MissLindaJean

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts
  • Joined 19-April 12
Reviews

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:22 AM

Packaging is appealing and may initially draw me in, but quality is what makes me want to buy and keep buying the product.

#Post 7 of 93 OFFLINE   americanclassic

americanclassic

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 14-August 11
Reviews

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

I go with brands I'm familiar with, because I know the level of quality they uphold with their products. sometimes, but not always, elaborate packaging is just an attempt to compensate for mediocre products

#Post 8 of 93 OFFLINE   nkjm

nkjm

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Joined 07-June 12
Reviews

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

I actually don't care about packaging as long as it's convenient. I look to product quality way more. One of my Lorac palette was really pretty and felt well made, but the lid kept closing and not staying open...so I returned it haha

Speaking of packaging, I really like how Sephora's new Cinderella ES palette has a removable tray...wish my UD BOSs had this :( instead of that stupid drawer. 

#Post 9 of 93 OFFLINE   studiomakeup

studiomakeup

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Joined 18-April 12
Reviews

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

Packaging!!!!! love it.

I am also willing to try anything, any brand from any store, you never know when you find the next IT.

#Post 10 of 93 OFFLINE   Mystica

Mystica

Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Joined 06-October 12
Reviews

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

If I'm buying one make-up brand over others it's because that brand as demonstrated consistent quality over other brands.

Packaging can grab my attention to take a look at a brand I've never encountered before.  But if a brand that has a consistent track record of being crap, no amount of pretty packaging will draw me towards them.

#Post 11 of 93 OFFLINE   KimberlyP

KimberlyP

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Joined 13-April 11
Reviews

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

I'm easily sucked in by packaging. However, now that I can so easily access reviews about a product, if it doesn't perform or the quality isn't there, I'm not going for it.

#Post 12 of 93 OFFLINE   Dockmaster

Dockmaster

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Joined 09-May 12
Reviews

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

I was initially drawn to Benefit because of the packaging and labeling.  I just loved the retro/pinup girl/bad girl look of it.  The product didn't disappoint, so I am still loving the line and can't get enough.  Urban Decay has similar effect on me.  I love cool packaging, but the product inside must be good too.

#Post 13 of 93 OFFLINE   BLee

BLee

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Joined 24-September 12
Reviews

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by yoru View Post

I am neutral on packaging because I care more about the quality of the content, but I still don't want cheap plastic compacts lol

However if I don't mind paying a bit more for the same good stuff with prettier/cuter packaging. Japanese makeup brands are good at these. I just couldn't resist when I know they are still good quality make up.

I mean, who can resist packaging like this?

I like pretty packaging, BUT it must be a great product also. LOL it will go back for sure.

^^^ But that sure is some eye catching items, yoru.

#Post 14 of 93 OFFLINE   beautymadn3ss

beautymadn3ss

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,640 posts
  • Joined 26-October 12
Reviews

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

Cute packaging will always catch my eye, but I always make sure I read reviews about products before I buy them, so even if something looks cute I need to make sure reviews are good too. I love benefit packaging and their products are good as well so win-win! :) 

#Post 15 of 93 OFFLINE   MissAprosexia

MissAprosexia

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 11-October 12
Reviews

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

I don't care about how packaging looks, I just want it to be practical.  I have two UD books of shadows and the packaging on those sucks.  Sure, it looks fancy, but it takes up way too much space for the amount of eyeshadow in there.  I'm going to depot for of those as soon as I get around to buying a z-palette.  Give me something plain and functional any day.

#Post 16 of 93 OFFLINE   dheartsmac

dheartsmac

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 27-November 12
Reviews

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

As the queen of de-potting, I can honestly say packages never sway me to purchase, but they will make me not purchase something.

#Post 17 of 93 OFFLINE   TacomaGirl

TacomaGirl

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Joined 12-October 11
Reviews

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Packaging catches my attention at first (Oooooh, shiny), but sometime over packaging kills it for me. I like too faced pallets because the packaging always impresses me, but upon inspection the size of the eyeshadows VS. the price is just silly. I'd rather swatch in store and buy a couple full sized of the shadows featured in the pallet. I spent too much money on the tarte trueBlood pallet and that was because I loved the packaging so much and the eyeshadows were very close to full size.

#Post 18 of 93 OFFLINE   KeepOnSingin

KeepOnSingin

Aficionado

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Joined 11-November 12
Reviews

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Packaging can definitely draw me in, but it isn't everything. I care much more about the product itself than the packaging.

#Post 19 of 93 OFFLINE   lovelywhim

lovelywhim

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Joined 11-July 12
Reviews

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

Great packaging definitely gets my attention. I won't buy it unless the product is a great quality though. Also, if the packaging makes the application and usage of the product difficult, I'll pass on it.

#Post 20 of 93 OFFLINE   shandimessmer

shandimessmer

Buff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Joined 01-February 12
Reviews

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

I have purchased things before based on packaging, I'm a total sucker for it:) But, quality is the most important part of any product! :D