Toners!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are your recommendations for a good toner that will take off make-up and cleanse my face at the same time? I have combination skin. Preferably $10 and under please :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Edit: I should have put this under the skin section, sorry!

A toner isn't made to clean your face, it's made to put the ph back to normal after cleansing it, as well as remove the hard water on your skin if you live in an area with hard water.

That said, with combination skin, if you want to control the excess oil production you can try lavender floral water.

Well to be more specific that is what I meant, I know you use toner after washing/cleansing your face and to balance out your skin. But I heard there are toners that also remove make-up residue too. There are many different types of toners, which is why it is hard for me to choose. Thanks for the advice!

Originally Posted by denise89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well to be more specific that is what I meant, I know you use toner after washing/cleansing your face and to balance out your skin. But I heard there are toners that also remove make-up residue too. There are many different types of toners, which is why it is hard for me to choose. Thanks for the advice!
If you're wanting something to actually cleanse/remove makeup and substitute a regular cleanser, it's not a toner, but more along the lines of a micellar water or something like that. That's what I'm thinking. Makeup removal should be the first step, then a cleanser, followed by toner and so on...

Sounds like you're looking for a "cleansing water". These products remove makeup and depending on the formula, may moisturize as well. I always use them by default to remove makeup then I'll use my clarisonic after. Bioderma Hydrabio H20 is a cleansing water for dry skin. I hear the Caudalie is nice. Koh Gen Doh makes one as well as Dior, Shiseido, Clarins, Lancome and YSL. It seems like every brand is jumping on the cleansing water train these days. I personally use the Bioderma Crealine for my oily/combination skin. 

You definitely do not want to use a bona-fide "toner" to remove makeup. But if you're really looking for one, I highly recommend Dior Gentle Toning Extract. I use it after cleansing to calm my skin while also removing any leftover debris from washing. 

It's a little more than $10, but I have found my HG toner and it's the Mario Badescu Aloe Vera Toner. It's extremely gentle and non-irritating. It also doesn't contain alcohol, so it doesn't dry out my skin. You can get this at Ulta and use a coupon which will probably bring it to $12-$13 dollars. It also lasts awhile since it's a nice size.

For toners I'm currently using Burt's Bees Garden Tomato Toner. The smell is a bit strong, but it feels really refreshing. It's around the $10-12 dollars price range, and I have combination skin as well. To use a toner and really see results when removing makeup or dirt, I recommend using a cotton ball and swiping your face. Even after cleansing with a product that gets most of the makeup residue off my face, it's nice to cleanse it again with a toner before using moisturizer. It's also nondrying. Hope this helps a little. 

Back