Grossed Out!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We finally got an Ulta in our area about a month ago (YAY!).  I was browsing today in the NYX section looking at their Matte eye shadows.  A young woman was also going through the NYX products and I was shocked to see her grab a lip gloss, open it, put it directly on her lips and then put it back on the shelf (this was not a tester).  She then grabbed an eyeliner and walked to the end of the aisle and started doing her eye makeup.  Then she re-capped it and put it back.  I asked her if she was planning on purchasing the items that she had tested and she said no.  I then told her that somebody else was going to purchase used makeup and she rolled her eyes and told me to mind my own business.  I went and got a sales associate and she acted like I was a problem but she did go over and say that they didn't have testers and please don't use the makeup and walked away.  The girl went right back to testing whatever she felt like (2 more glosses from what I saw).  So, now I'm disgusted with Ulta (and NYX - seriously why don't they have safety stickers or seals on some of their products?) and I'm in shock that somebody would use makeup like that and put it back.  Should I call the manager and complain or should I just let it go?  My husband laughed at me for "telling on her" and said to let it go. 

This freaks me out!

I've had major eye issues in the past and can only imagine the disgusting things that can happen with contaminated cosmetics.

I'm so glad you said something!

Makes me want to only buy makeup online... Yuck.

I'd tell the manager. They must have policies about that, surely??

Ugh, that is absolutely disgusting! I don't even like the idea of sharing lip/eye products with immediate family, the thought of buying a product that's already been used by some random stranger makes me nauseous. It's not only horrifying that there are people out there that think they're entitled to doing that and the store doesn't even care enough to throw the products out and tail the woman for the rest of her stay in the store (or just kicking her out), but it's also horrible that there will be unsuspecting people that end up paying full price for used, contaminated products.

I would call and directly ask to speak to a manager - I'd let them know you informed a sales associate who did nothing about the problem, and that being a new high-end makeup selling company, you expected much more. I work in CS so I'm pretty savvy with my wording when I'm upset. You just have to know what to say. But that is NOT something I'd let slide. And I seriously probably would've witch slapped that girl lol. "Mind your own business" makeup IS my business

Wow.. some people are just NASTY!!! I would definitely pursue it and call the manager. If she/he doesn't care, then I would call corporate and let them know how their new store is being handled. That is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE. The Ulta near me always has their NYX stuff all tested and messed up. I usually end up driving to the one further away from me to buy their stuff. I've also ordered my last few things from them online after going to the store to look at real life colors. People can just be so gross. I'm sure that girl will get what's coming to her though with some nasty infections. Serves her right!

I'm with the ladies who said contact the store manager. Also contact corporate because that's absolutely disgusting that the sales person did nothing. What the woman who used the products did was theft - other people have been charged with shoplifting - and the very least it's disgusting.

I agree with zadidoll that it was theft. It's like opening a box of cookies, eating a couple and putting the box back. It's unfortunate that the sales associate didn't contact internal security and let them deal with it further. 

Ew. This reminds me to never buy cosmetics that don't have seals on them!

Just to reiterate everyone else, I would call the manager for sure - and if you can, maybe mention the sales associate by name, if you remember it? I mean, I'd hate to get anyone in trouble, but that's just not okay!!

Thanks ladies!  I will absolutely call first thing in the morning.  I will also never, ever buy any makeup product that doesn't have some sort of safety packaging on it from now on.  Even just a stupid sticker that you have to break to twist open the lipgloss would work.  She wasn't tearing open products to use them; she was just grabbing the products that you couldn't tell had been tampered with and was giving herself a make over.  After seeing how nonchalantly she was using products, it made me wonder how many others do the exact same thing.  Gross.

ETA: I don't remember the sales associates name but she was...memorable to say the least.  I'm sure they'll know exactly who she is once I describe her and the time that I was there. 

Oh gross. So glad you're going to complain. I wouldn't let it go either, and truthfully might have gotten mouthy when told to mind my own business. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

There is always a rotten apple in the bunch....so sad. For this reason I always make sure my MU I get has the seal still on it unopened. I have seen this before in the cosmetic aisle.

Definitely unacceptable, whether it's polish or lipstick. Gross and cannot believe the sales associate did nothing! Good for you for speaking up and definitely contact a manager/corporate to report that.

The nerve of some b!tche$...wow. I do notice that when I'm shopping for lipsticks here there are always a TON that have clearly been previously tried. I like when they're unsealed because, in a store that doesn't have testers, it's helpful to be able to take the cap off and actually see the color. But man, that should be good enough! You DO NOT get to put it on your lips to decide whether or not you like it. I love what that previous poster wrote about the box of cookies - exactly. It IS theft, because nobody's gonna buy that (or let's hope some poor girl doesn't without checking). It would be no different if she just pocketed the damn thing.

I'm gonna start pulling products from the back if they don't have a seal because of this.
I actually do this now! Because you don't know what people are doing with these unsealed items. Or I try and buy sealed/packaged items. I don't think I'm being paranoid any more, after learning and seeing people do tacky things like this.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I actually do this now! Because you don't know what people are doing with these unsealed items. Or I try and buy sealed/packaged items. I don't think I'm being paranoid any more, after learning and seeing people do tacky things like this.
Me three. And I've had to return items a few times (lip items, usually, and one time a tub of hair pomade that had a finger swipe in it--yuck) because I didn't realize something was used till I got home. In fact, because of that experience, in addition to grabbing from the back, I also do a quick lid lift and peek inside to make sure it hasn't been tampered with. It's not something I like to do, and I certainly NEVER use or test items when I peek, but when it's unsealed, there's just no other way to know. Sealing doesn't always protect products either. I've seen a fair share of ripped and rumpled plastic wrappers at my local Target and CVS. I wish stores were more diligent about preventing it from happening.

Originally Posted by xoxelizabeth189 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm gonna start pulling products from the back if they don't have a seal because of this.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Had been doing this for quite a while. My husband thinks I am hideous by pulling the items at the back of the shelves and scrutinize every angle if there are dents, rips, or seals tampered. It's a hassle going back to the store just to ind out the items I bought are tampered. Give enough time to check all the items prior to putting them in the cart. That's better than traveling back to the store for return/exch.

Ewww, that's just nasty!!! This is why I don't buy Nyx products and certain other unsealed or poorly sealed products, especially at Ulta. My local store is full of displays that look like a nursery school has been running through them roughshod: streaks on walls and carboard panels, product around the eges of caps, fingerprints and very evident smears on the tips of lipsticks and eye pencils. For some reason I find this a bigger issue at Ulta than at Sephora. But both my free-standing and Penney's Sephora are crawling with employees and they watch customers like the proverbial hawk. I've gotten a little disgusted with Ulta in recent months because (aside from a metric ton of used goods) it feels like they're more interested in selling me subscriptions to InStyle than in their inventory.

Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ewww, that's just nasty!!! This is why I don't buy Nyx products and certain other unsealed or poorly sealed products, especially at Ulta. My local store is full of displays that look like a nursery school has been running through them roughshod: streaks on walls and carboard panels, product around the eges of caps, fingerprints and very evident smears on the tips of lipsticks and eye pencils. For some reason I find this a bigger issue at Ulta than at Sephora. But both my free-standing and Penney's Sephora are crawling with employees and they watch customers like the proverbial hawk. I've gotten a little disgusted with Ulta in recent months because (aside from a metric ton of used goods) it feels like they're more interested in selling me subscriptions to InStyle than in their inventory.
I totally agree!! Everytime I go in there looking for something no one can help me! They either have no clue what I'm talking about, the item I want is out of stock, or they recommend something that is not even close to what I was asking for in the first place. They never fail asking if I want to sign up for two "free" issues and then be charged for the next ones unless I happen to remember to cancel. Plus the girls who work at Ulta are usually VERY snobby and stuck up, which doesn't make sense seeing as how they seem to know little to nothing about makeup.

Originally Posted by parisnicole1989 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I totally agree!! Everytime I go in there looking for something no one can help me! They either have no clue what I'm talking about, the item I want is out of stock, or they recommend something that is not even close to what I was asking for in the first place. They never fail asking if I want to sign up for two "free" issues and then be charged for the next ones unless I happen to remember to cancel. Plus the girls who work at Ulta are usually VERY snobby and stuck up, which doesn't make sense seeing as how they seem to know little to nothing about makeup.
Amen! Messed-up priorities and skewed sense of service all the way around...once I went in to shop after having bought several items elsewhere, including a small digital camcorder. I needed to use the ladies' room and got stopped by one of the hairdressers in the back, telling me I needed to leave my bags. Fine and dandy. I came out, the hairdresser was nowhere to be seen, and my bags were left on an open table in front of the salon, not in the salon proper. Fortunately nothing had been stolen, but when I found the hairdresser I gave her the chewing-out of her life.

If I didn't work at controlling myself I would seriously lose my temper when offered the magazines. I don't go into these kinds of places for magazines. (I feel the same way about being offered credit cards several times in one visit to a clothing store--the clerks don't help me find something that fits, but beat me over the head with their credit cards like they're getting commission from them.) I just tell the girls at Ulta now that I already take the magazines and that seems to shut them up.

Back