Working at makeup counters

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering, are professional makeup qualifications always necessary in order to get a job at a makeup counter like MAC? Which makeup stores/brands (UK) would hire people possibly based on a portfolio and work they've done (as perhaps they provide training?)

Originally Posted by Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi, I was just wondering, are professional makeup qualifications always necessary in order to get a job at a makeup counter like MAC? Which makeup stores/brands (UK) would hire people possibly based on a portfolio and work they've done (as perhaps they provide training?)
Not always, least not with MAC. If you have skills most counter jobs won't be looking to see if you went to a makeup school. Does it help? Sure but it's not necessary. Most do provide training and ongoing training.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not always, least not with MAC. If you have skills most counter jobs won't be looking to see if you went to a makeup school. Does it help? Sure but it's not necessary. Most do provide training and ongoing training.
It does help, as I'm thinking of possibly applying to work at a MAC counter if they have vacancies when I move to Brighton in January..

Go for it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think that if you know your products and have potential as well as basic skills then it's possible to get a job there.

My best friend works for a MAC counter, and she had no training or experience whatsoever when she applied. I think you just have to do well during the interview and you'll get hired.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Go for it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think that if you know your products and have potential as well as basic skills then it's possible to get a job there.
Thanks, I will! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by fireflyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My best friend works for a MAC counter, and she had no training or experience whatsoever when she applied. I think you just have to do well during the interview and you'll get hired.
That's encouraging!! I read a lot of stuff on the internet saying that 'noone starts at MAC', that they expect you to have worked at another counter beforehand... Not sure how true it is! Anyway, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks, I will! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That's encouraging!! I read a lot of stuff on the internet saying that 'noone starts at MAC', that they expect you to have worked at another counter beforehand... Not sure how true it is! Anyway, I'll give it a shot.
That's yes and no.

Yes, if you have worked for the Estee Lauder Group of Companies (counters). No if you have worked for P&G and Cosmair Group of Companies (counters). MAC will definately take you if you have a strong sales record. I knew a guy who sold appliances in a department store, who had zero make-up experience and MAC hired him.

They really want to see someone who will sell. Yes, of course a good artist as well, but if you really educate yourself on their products, and show a motivation to sell, then you have a shot at getting in. I was hired at MAC with no cosmetic experience, other than the side jobs I was doing at the time. I was hired on as a Freelancer, meaning I was not a full time employee, and I only worked when there were events going on (which was often, but not "steady" work.) I eventually got hired on full time after a few months.

You wont believe this but MAC can hire anyone and everyone here in India (inspite of the fact that they might know makeup or not). I know people with below average skills hired from apparels and airline etc where they dont even know how to handle a brush. The main aim of brands like MAC is to hire people with low skill levels and pay them less compared to hiring a skilled professionnel. So of them do well and move ahead while others stay there or quit with the frustration of not being able to cope up with the other meagre talented ones. I would suggest going to brands like MUFE and Illamasqua to exhibit your talents and show your worth and if you are good at communication and have a back up plan for survival then choose freelancing makeup artist as a career.

It really depends, to be honest. In my old district we had SO MANY resume's coming in with tons of experience, but there weren't positions open very often so the people who had less experience didn't really get looked at... You know? Having said that though, if that's the category you fall in and you are in a busy area you want to make friends with the counter/manager so that you don't get pushed to the back of their minds. Does that make sense? Then if a position opens up they'll think of you and you'd at least get an interview/take it from there. It's such an odd place...  Most people I've met absolutely did not start at MAC... But then there are a couple of people I know who are like "yeah I just walked in they asked me to apply and I got the job with no experience!"  Did you end up finding anything?

I just moved to the UK and I had an interview with a well known brand in the US. When I told them what I was looking for in pay wise....well lets just say I didn't get a call back....and I know I did d@&$ good....plus u sold £200 within an hour without any effort...what is the going rate bc I just found out that I asked way too much money which was only £14.50hr. I'm just confused?

Back