EVERYTHING & ANYTHING CURLBOX!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you subscribe; are interested in subscribing; want more information or have an opinion or review of the Curlbox sub.... this is the place to use your voice!

What is Curlbox you might ask?  It's a subscription service for naturally curly hair! An affordable, effortless and EXCLUSIVE way to experience products for CURLY HAIR!

Looking forward to the conversation!

Bye the way.... Anyone interested in subbing, the list is opening Tuesday evening Nov. 13th at 8 PM EST.  It's a very popular sub and can be difficult to subscribe to.  shop.curlbox.com.

Please be patient, it's worth the wait and you know the old saying, Good Things Come to Curls that wait!   Stay tuned!
smileno.gif

It sucks. I have decided to not renew my box for the December box and I'm going to give curlkit a try...this November box is lame and I believe that just about everything in the box I could pick up in walmart, cvs, etc.  There's another forum on curly nikki that discusses curlbox vs curlkit and it gets really interesting.

Originally Posted by quene8106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It sucks. I have decided to not renew my box for the December box and I'm going to give curlkit a try...this November box is lame and I believe that just about everything in the box I could pick up in walmart, cvs, etc.  There's another forum on curly nikki that discusses curlbox vs curlkit and it gets really interesting.
Let me know how CurlKit is. Nov will be my first month with CurlBox. I won the CurlKit Hangman FB game and they sent me free samples, which was a VERY disappointing selection. So I wasn't too impressed with them.

I hear you.  You can't make everyone happy all the time.   I've subbed since May; Some months are better than others.  I'm really pleased with the presentation, the magazine and of course the variety of the products,   Some products are high-end and pricey and others are products you can buy at CVS or Walmart etc.and are reasonably priced.   Alot of products I've received I've never heard of, I've wanted and was excited to try and was within my reach; physically or financially.

I believe alot of the contents in the boxes equals more than $20.  Sometimes (1) full-sized product alone costs more than $20 or more ie; Carols' Daughter.  I've been really surprised at times receiving (2) full-sized products including everything else; small sized samples and or packets.

I'm just not willing to spend $$$ on products that don't work on my hair and may not be happy with.  SO for me it's a great way to try new products, opposed to buying a full-sized product that I don;t like and I wasted $$.

Whatever products I don't like or can't use, I gift to family and friends and I feel really good about sharing and they so too. 
smilehappyyes.gif
  I'd prefer to not throw stuff away.

I've checked out CK's website as well as Youtube video unboxing's and I wasn't impressed with the product offerings.  I saw alot of coupons and discount coupons in the box along with too many packet samples and not very many sample sized bottles or full-sized for that matter. And  that's fine if people are happy with that.  Perhaps they've improved, they weren't that much cheaper. I haven't looked of late.  At one time I noticed alot of discount offers for their monthly boxes;  I guess they need to drum up biz.

At any rate iluvteffy, I hope you enjoy your first Curlbox and quene8106; I hope you enjoy your first Curlkit and I look forward to hearing  your reviews. 

Yeah, also a lot of stuff that is in the curlbox isn't good for natural hair because the ingredients include alcohols, sulfates, etc.  I have found my HGs in hair products with companies such as Hair Rules, Shea Moisture and Curls Unleashed and.
They did say that not all of their products would be sulfate and silicone free, but they'd make an effort to include alot of them. 

What do you think of  curls unleashed and Hair rules? I've been curious, but don't want to buy a full bottle, in case it doesn't work.  I think Hair Rules prices are way too much.  Worth it?  Which ones do you like?

I did not have success w/ Shea Moisture's curl enhancing smoothie for curl definition, you?  So I was mad I bought that big jar, so I used it as a deep conditioner.  That made me feel better that it had some use.  However, I do like and use the sheamoisture sheabutter shampoo and deep conditioner.

Originally Posted by Deenellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They did say that not all of their products would be sulfate and silicone free, but they'd make an effort to include alot of them. 

What do you think of  curls unleashed and Hair rules? I've been curious, but don't want to buy a full bottle, in case it doesn't work.  I think Hair Rules prices are way too much.  Worth it?  Which ones do you like?

I did not have success w/ Shea Moisture's curl enhancing smoothie for curl definition, you?  So I was mad I bought that big jar, so I used it as a deep conditioner.  That made me feel better that it had some use.  However, I do like and use the sheamoisture sheabutter shampoo and deep conditioner.
I haven't tried the Shea Moisture hair products but their skincare line is awesome.  I got a huge bottle of lotion by them in August at Walgreens and it is only half gone.  I also got a huge bar of soap from that brand and it took me a few months to use up.

Curls Unleashed brought life back into my hair.  My curls were looking kinda blah but I use their curl boosting jelly and it makes my curls look, uh, curlier lol

I got the hair rules shampoo using my Birchbox points and I like it. It put a lot of va va voom in my hair. I also got a sample of their curling creme in my October My Shade of Brown box and I liked it.  When I get more Birchbox points I will get the hair rules conditioner.

Also, be careful if you post a complaint or concern on the curlbox wall b/c you can get deleted and/or banned.  I don't agree with this b/c you got to take the good with the bad.  A cB customer had concerns about the sulfates and alcohols in the products and it was instantly deleted.  She also offended a LGBT subscriber and other subscribers by saying getting one of her boxes is like getting into Harvard.  That arrogance and the way that she treated the LGBT woman, along with me not liking most of the products that come in the boxes are the reason why I decided to not renew the subscription with her box.  I would explain more but it's all on the curly nikki forum.

Wow... I heard that, but I heard -thought they were vicious criticisms; personal attacks that were being deleted not  constructive complaints.  I will usually send an e-mail directly if I have an issue. Then if they don't respond, then I go to FB and comment.   I know people have gotten pretty heated because of the difficulty at subscribing. I understand the frustration, but it's just a box of products.  If it means that much, keep trying.  It's a popular sub and alot of people want it and it's a small Growing business.  The Curlbox crew is probably shocked at how quickly they're growing and they're trying to deal with all that comes with it.   

But being rude and disrespectful about that in my opinion is uncalled for.  Like you, if you're unhappy, you keep it moving and sub with another biz.  I read some of the comments; really too much.  There's only been one site that I dealt with that deleted complaints and that was Glossy bx.  But they were off the hook w/ issues man and everybody was having problems with them.  Instead of them getting it together and recognizing that you need your customers and you should do everything to right the wrong, they took an arrogant approah in how they dealt w/ us by phone and e-mail: it's an honor to sub w/ them, we don't need you  blah, bah, blah (all attitudinal.) They got popular fast and then there was the rude awakening.  People went off; wanting to report them to Attorney General etc. I cancelled them as did alot of folks.  I just heard from them lately trying to get me back with a discount coupon.  I will never again.  Def not worth the $$ or DRAMA!   But I digress..

The interesting thing about that whole thing about getting into Harvard, I took that as it's difficult because of the success and popularity of their sub, that sell out quickly, not that if you're LGBT you can't get in.  I know first hand that that's false! 

Sorry for the long winded rant.  Keep us posted on Curlkit.  I'll check CurlyNikki.

I use Shea Moisture and I REALLY love their shea butter....it makes my hair so soft. I have the Curl Enhancing Smoothie...i like it enough, but it doesn't quite give me the curl definition I was looking for.

I am interested in trying coconut oil/creme. Any of you know a good brand?

If you're looking for good curl definition, I'm still in search for the HolyGrail.  My hair is so temperamental.  One day, one product works, the next day it doesn't.  Right now I'm working with Kinky Curly pudding.  The problem is you need to use their leave in called Knot Today w/ the pudding.  I find no other product works as well with it.

I also alternate vusing African pride sheabutter curling pudding and Cantu coconut curling pudding.  I have a TWA, so my hair just shrinks into tiny colis.

I love Shea Moisture Curling Soufflé.  It gives my hair the perfect amount of oil, shine, and curl definition.  I use it right after Kinky Curly Knot Today and right before DevaCurl AnGel.  I love my every day products. I'm still looking for protein and moisturizing deep treatments.

If you're looking for good curl definition, I'm still in search for the HolyGrail.  My hair is so temperamental.  One day, one product works, the next day it doesn't.  Right now I'm working with Kinky Curly pudding.  The problem is you need to use their leave in called Knot Today w/ the pudding.  I find no other product works as well with it.

I also alternate vusing African pride sheabutter curling pudding and Cantu coconut curling pudding.  I have a TWA, so my hair just shrinks into tiny colis.

I used the Kinky Curly Knot Today and Curling Pudding/Custard yesterday..while it was the best thus far as far as curl definition for me..it NEVER DRIED!!!!!! I woke up this morning and my hair was still soaked in the stuff. Maybe I used too much..but well over 12hrs later I expect any product to have dried by then.

Originally Posted by shadowboxer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love Shea Moisture Curling Soufflé.  It gives my hair the perfect amount of oil, shine, and curl definition.  I use it right after Kinky Curly Knot Today and right before DevaCurl AnGel.  I love my every day products. I'm still looking for protein and moisturizing deep treatments.
 I received a large sample of a Keratin Leave-in conditioner from Curlbox called MistureMax, Keratin Amino Acid Leave-In by Lustrasilk. I have yet to try it.  It looks good.

Originally Posted by iluvteffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I used the Kinky Curly Knot Today and Curling Pudding/Custard yesterday..while it was the best thus far as far as curl definition for me..it NEVER DRIED!!!!!! I woke up this morning and my hair was still soaked in the stuff. Maybe I used too much..but well over 12hrs later I expect any product to have dried by then.
 I know alot of times with these products they want yoru hair to be soak and wet.  And that's how alot of products work on my hair type.  After applying the product to your hair, try wrapping either a t-shirt or fast drying towels around your hair to take some of the moisture out and perhaps that will help.  If not, you may want to dry your hair w/ a blow dryer with a diffuser.  Keep us posted.

I went to the Curly N forum and read those posts.  woooooh!! too much.  She really upset and I guess dis-respected alot of people.  I never saw the original posts, so I can't speak on it.  I did see the hate page on FB which was removed recently.  I understand people getting upset and feel they should be respected and have excellent customer service, I totally agree with that.  But these on-going hate rants don't help the situation for both parties.  This is certainly good for business for CK. Hopefully a lesson has been learned and attitudes will change.

I don't believe in the on-going, over blown rants and hateration and believe me I've been really upset on occassion with some of these subs. I contact them directly, tell them how I feel.  I'll comment on their pages and if they don't come correct, I hit em' where it hurts and matters most; in the pocketbook!  And then I move on and give my business to some other hopefully well deserving comapny.

I've never had a problem, and I hope I won't.  I'll be watching for sure.

I went to the Curly N forum and read those posts.  woooooh!! too much.  She really upset and I guess dis-respected alot of people.  I never saw the original posts, so I can't speak on it.  I did see the hate page on FB which was removed recently.  I understand people getting upset and feel they should be respected and have excellent customer service, I totally agree with that.  But these on-going hate rants don't help the situation for both parties.  This is certainly good for business for CK. Hopefully a lesson has been learned and attitudes will change.

I don't believe in the on-going, over blown rants and hateration and believe me I've been really upset on occassion with some of these subs. I contact them directly, tell them how I feel.  I'll comment on their pages and if they don't come correct, I hit em' where it hurts and matters most; in the pocketbook!  And then I move on and give my business to some other hopefully well deserving comapny.

I've never had a problem, and I hope I won't.  I'll be watching for sure.
Yeah I heard the curlkit subs for November sold out.  I respect her for what she does and I support black-owned businesses, but I can't support someone that brags about replacing someone four times over if they cancel.  Not cool at all. I still wonder if she was the one that got the blasting cb page shut down.

Wow... I heard that, but I heard -thought they were vicious criticisms; personal attacks that were being deleted not  constructive complaints.  I will usually send an e-mail directly if I have an issue. Then if they don't respond, then I go to FB and comment.   I know people have gotten pretty heated because of the difficulty at subscribing. I understand the frustration, but it's just a box of products.  If it means that much, keep trying.  It's a popular sub and alot of people want it and it's a small Growing business.  The Curlbox crew is probably shocked at how quickly they're growing and they're trying to deal with all that comes with it.    But being rude and disrespectful about that in my opinion is uncalled for.  Like you, if you're unhappy, you keep it moving and sub with another biz.  I read some of the comments; really too much.  There's only been one site that I dealt with that deleted complaints and that was Glossy bx.  But they were off the hook w/ issues man and everybody was having problems with them.  Instead of them getting it together and recognizing that you need your customers and you should do everything to right the wrong, they took an arrogant approah in how they dealt w/ us by phone and e-mail: it's an honor to sub w/ them, we don't need you  blah, bah, blah (all attitudinal.) They got popular fast and then there was the rude awakening.  People went off; wanting to report them to Attorney General etc. I cancelled them as did alot of folks.  I just heard from them lately trying to get me back with a discount coupon.  I will never again.  Def not worth the $$ or DRAMA!   But I digress.. The interesting thing about that whole thing about getting into Harvard, I took that as it's difficult because of the success and popularity of their sub, that sell out quickly, not that if you're LGBT you can't get in.  I know first hand that that's false!  Sorry for the long winded rant.  Keep us posted on Curlkit.  I'll check CurlyNikki.
I agree with everything you just said.Love this and I personally feel the same way as you.

Can't wait for my November box to arrive!  Let us know when you receive your box and what you think of it!  Looking forward to hearing from you!

Can't wait for my November box to arrive!  Let us know when you receive your box and what you think of it!  Looking forward to hearing from you!
I got the box and it was alright.  I got...  

a hair mask (with mineral oil -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />), clear shampoo and conditioner (with sulfates -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />), some hair oil and a shampoo packet

Back