I wear way too much

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I'm 13 and I wear too much makeup, simple as. I know I do but my self confidence is extremely low and I can't live without it. I'm scared it's going to ruin my skin but if I go out with no makeup on people always comment on how tired and horrible I look, so I end up putting even more on. On a normal saturday, I would wear: Foundation (2 pumps) Concealer Loose powder Blusher Eye primer Brown/ gold eyeshadow (smokey) Black eyeliner on lower lids Liquid eyeliner on upper lids with tiny flicks Highlight my browbone with a white eyeshadow. 2 coats of mascara Lipstick, usually in a pale peachy pink colour. Lipgloss, Eyebrow pencil Then more loose powder over everything. Which do you think I could do without and how should I cut down? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> x

Your 13, which is a super fun time to experiment.  The makeup probably won't harm your skin for the future, however trust me in a short time you will need all that makeup everyday just to feel normal!

I doubt you really need the:

Foundation (2 pumps)
Concealer

Lipstick, usually in a pale peachy pink colour.
Lipgloss,

(a little overkill)

Eyebrow pencil (unless you have been waxing or tweezing for a while)

May I ask what your parents think? 

I know girls are growing up WAY faster then when I was 13, but I always loved makeup too and just used a powder, eye stuff, and blush, with a lippy product.

Maybe trying taking out 1-2 products a day and see how you feel.  Also if people say you look tired, you probably are staying up too late, you are WAY to young for any kind of bags under your eyes.  Go to bed an hour earlier!

I do pretty much the same thing (not in the same order) except the extra dosage of powder at the end, that, I think you could afford to cut down on. also, at 13, you don't need to wear so much eyeliner. but also, I'm 18 and didn't START wearing makeup till I was 13, and even then, it was just foundation and powder.

Another tip, try using self-tanner in lieu of the face makeup. I use self tanner almost daily, therefore I can get away without using face makeup and I'm almost 3xs your age.

My parents know I wear a lot and are usually very strict parents... However I've had problems with bulimia and just plainly thinking I'm ugly so they let me wear whatever makes me confident. I'll try your tips, thanks! Xx

I agree, start going to bed earlier and make sure you drink plenty of water and I bet you won't need all of that face make up! The eye make up and lip products are the most fun for me, so I don't think you should cut back there, but your young skin probably doesn't need that kind of coverage, cover up your little flaws if you have a pimple but let your youth-y glow shine through! lol 

All the women I see with beautiful skin have been wearing foundation since they were teens, foundation protects your skin from pollutants and sun exposure.

I would stop the black liner on the bottom, it creates a very heavy look instead put it on the top and lighten up on the bottom, the lower lash line never moves it stays in the same place and everything you use on the bottom reads darker than you think, it can also lead to darker under eyes when not removed thoroughly. 

As someone who started wearing a full face of makeup in my early teens, don't worry about it. Your tastes and makeup styles will change as you do. Enjoy it.

If you feel weird, come visit us here since this place is loaded with people who do exactly the same thing.
smilehappyyes.gif

Originally Posted by SachaAguero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

I'm 13 and I wear too much makeup, simple as. I know I do but my self confidence is extremely low and I can't live without it. I'm scared it's going to ruin my skin but if I go out with no makeup on people always comment on how tired and horrible I look, so I end up putting even more on. On a normal saturday, I would wear:

Foundation (2 pumps)

Concealer

Loose powder

Blusher

Eye primer

Brown/ gold eyeshadow (smokey)

Black eyeliner on lower lids

Liquid eyeliner on upper lids with tiny flicks

Highlight my browbone with a white eyeshadow.

2 coats of mascara

Lipstick, usually in a pale peachy pink colour.

Lipgloss,

Eyebrow pencil

Then more loose powder over everything.

Which do you think I could do without and how should I cut down?

smile.gif
x
Unless you look like Tammy Faye Bakker then don't worry about it too much. You have young skin which is more forgiving and right now you can experiment with colors and products. The best thing you CAN do is have a good skin care regiment in place.

I do think you can cut back on some stuff for a couple more years and simply use a tinted moisturizer, mascara and lip stain (which can double as a blush) and maybe a powder. I remember as a teen I use to wear pretty much everything you wear but as a busy mom my makeup routine has cut back drastically unless I'm going out so on a daily basis I wear a foundation, powder, mascara and lip gloss, sometimes blush and liner. It seems as I'm getting older I'm using less and less makeup while my daughters are using more and more from my stash. lol But honestly don't worry about it too much, if you're parents are okay with it then it's fine.

It really isn't about how many different products you wear, it's how you apply them. But my advice to you would be, don't just hide behind makeup. Find things you like about yourself (trust me, they're there!) and accentuate them! The shape of your eyes, your cheeks, the colour of your eyes, anything! Sometimes adjusting to a new look can take time so take an evening at home where you know you're not going out and try something a little out of your comfort zone with makeup - you can still do a full face with all the products you listed, but change up how you apply them a bit or make the eye makeup less smokey and more natural. Look at tutorials on YouTube or even just pictures of celebrities for ideas!

Most of all - just PLAY! Makeup is an amazing hobby in that it can be lots of fun but it ALSO makes you look good after you're done! Painting a canvas won't do that for ya! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You won't ruin your skin--just be diligent about removing makeup and washing your face every night :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Wearing sunscreen helps, you could incorporate SPF in your foundation or loose powder. From the way you're describing it, your makeup doesn't seem excessive or anything. But if you want your makeup to look a little more natural, I'd recommend the following:

-tightlining your waterline (i.e. liner on the lower lashline) with black tends to look a little harsh, especially if you tend to draw it thickly. Instead, you could use a brown liner; only line to the outer 3rd; or,just altogether stop wearing liner on the lashline.

-opaque white eyeshadow on the browbone might look a little unnatural depending on your skin tone--instead, you could opt for a cream-colored shadow. or just skip it.

-you could probably just go for a tinted lipgloss instead of lipstick.

-if you are sensitive about your skin, the foundation/concealer is totally fine. though, there are ways of applying where you probably wouldn't need as much product. You could look into something like the BeautyBlender (they sell similar stuff at Target and CVS, they all do the same thing); you basically stipple/bounce the foundation on. otherwise, if your skin is fine but you still want a little coverage, go for a tinted moisturizer or a BB cream.

-if you want to really cut back on makeup, you probably don't need the eyeshadow.

-you probably don't need the blush.

Originally Posted by studiomakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

foundation protects your skin from pollutants and sun exposure.
Just curious, is there any evidence/factual basis for that?

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You won't ruin your skin--just be diligent about removing makeup and washing your face every night :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Wearing sunscreen helps, you could incorporate SPF in your foundation or loose powder. From the way you're describing it, your makeup doesn't seem excessive or anything. But if you want your makeup to look a little more natural, I'd recommend the following:

-tightlining your waterline (i.e. liner on the lower lashline) with black tends to look a little harsh, especially if you tend to draw it thickly. Instead, you could use a brown liner; only line to the outer 3rd; or,just altogether stop wearing liner on the lashline.

-opaque white eyeshadow on the browbone might look a little unnatural depending on your skin tone--instead, you could opt for a cream-colored shadow. or just skip it.

-if you are sensitive about your skin, the foundation/concealer is totally fine. though, there are ways of applying where you probably wouldn't need as much product. You could look into something like the BeautyBlender (they sell similar stuff at Target and CVS, they all do the same thing); you basically stipple/bounce the foundation on. otherwise, if your skin is fine but you still want a little coverage, go for a tinted moisturizer or a BB cream.

-if you want to really cut back on makeup, you probably don't need the eyeshadow.

The pigment in the foundation acts as an spf and wearing foundation acts as a barrier, I have been told this by a dermatologist.

Originally Posted by studiomakeup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The pigment in the foundation acts as an spf and wearing foundation acts as a barrier, I have been told this by a dermatologist.

While Titanium and Zinc oxides provide UV protection they are very whitening and so are used in small amounts in makeup, so unless you're getting in touch with your inner geisha this isn't really what you want to count on for protecting yourself from the sun. Instead, look for something that claims SPF. Since last summer products that claim SPF are no longer cosmetics but over the counter drugs according to the FDA. This means they are labelled like OTC and, more importantly, the SPF claim is tested (which wasn't necessary before). The ingredients to look for are ingredients like Homosalate and Octisalate, among others.

Also, if anyone claims shea butter protects from UV keep in mind that while this is true, shea butter has an SPF of 3, making it unsuitable for UV blocking purposes.

when i was your age i was the same way, im now 18, I wore so much makeup cause i hated my skin. but after experimenting i found that by taking care of my face, like using cleanser and exfoliating, my skin was better and now i dont wear as much makeup. Although 13 year olds around my area love to wear tons of makeup, do what you feel comfortable with. If you really think this is too much try taking care of your skin so you wont have to wear as much

Latest posts

Back