BB creams

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was hoping someone could explain to me what BB cream is. I see it everywhere but I don't know what it's purpose is. I know it s like a foundation but what is the difference?

The official definition from Wikipedia:

BB cream stands for blemish balm, blemish base, or beblesh balm (apparently because of a copyright in Korea on the word "blemish"), and in Western markets, beauty balm. It is a cosmetic item sold mainly in East and Southeast Asia, although larger beauty brands are increasingly introducing BB creams to Western markets

BB cream is promoted as an all-in-one facial cosmetic product to replace serum, moisturizer, primer, foundation, and sunblock.It can be worn alone as a tinted moisturizer, over serum and moisturizer as a regular foundation, and under powder, depending on the desired amount of coverage
Here are some threads with explanations, recommendations and other help:

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/127439/bb-creams

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/116776/bb-cream

Here is a chart for one of the more popular brands and how to pick which to use: http://www.skin79northamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127&Itemid=101

Originally Posted by annie135 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks!! That is really helpful!
You're welcome
smile.gif

I am using Estee Lauder's BB cream and I've replaced my usual foundation with it.  While I still use cream under it, I like that you could just put the BB cream on your face (and I have when I've been in a hurry) and basically you have cream, sunscreen, and foundation on in one step!  It's really great. 

I think you have to experiment to find the BB cream that is right for you.

I'm normally a Revlon ColorStay either liquid or whipped kinda girl but since it has gotten colder here (Northern Wisconsin) I've been using the Garnier Skin Renew BB and I gotta say I adore it! I did wear it a couple of times during the summer and it melted off it was so gross although I do highly recommend it for the colder months when you won't be sweating!

I absolutely adore the Garnier BB cream. I used it all summer and still continue to do so. It has replaced foundation for me.

Awesome! I'm curious to see how it feels. By the sounds of it, BB creams sound alot lighter than liquid foundation on your face. I'm excited to try it now. Thanks everyone!

I absolutely love using BB Cream. You should definitely try a few brands! I've been using them for more than a year now and I have to say I can't turn back! I'm currently using daily Lioele's Waterdrop BB Cream. It's water based, so it feels really refreshing. It's light, but it's just got enough coverage to treat some redness. And you have to love the SPF that's built in! Try out a few brands because BB Creams vary considerably in coverage and consistency. 

BB creams are an awesome multi-use product, but they dont work for me because I need a full coverage foundation.

Originally Posted by perlanga /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BB creams are an awesome multi-use product, but they dont work for me because I need a full coverage foundation.
Maybe you can try a CC cream. They're supposed to provide more coverage. I've read great reviews for the Wei one that was in Birchbox a few months back.

Originally Posted by shandimessmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I use a BB Cream, if I feel like I still need more coverage, I'll just use a powder over top of it:)
Same here! I have a bareMInerals powder handy just in case.

Latest posts

Back