-->

Welcome to MakeupTalk

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to MakeupTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of MakeupTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Sponsor

Recent Images In This Topic/Thread

No Images in this topic
Photo

How do I know?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#Post 1 of 7 OFFLINE   Teeda

Teeda

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 15-November 12

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

I feel like I am a teenager new to using make-up all over again. lol, but there is so much I am finding I had no clue about.

First of all, I have always just sort of guessed when it comes to my foundation/powder(I know I know). I never really knew there was a way to get close to my skin color on my face and tried my best to match it by doing the wrist or back of hand test with the foundation, that's probably not right either. :/

Anyway, my question is, now that I see you should go by your skin tones to figure out the right foundation...how do I figure out what "skin tone" my face is? I feel really stupid asking this and I'm sure I should be able to figure it out easier than this, but I am lost. I "think" my skin has yellow tones but I am not even really sure. HELP!

#Post 2 of 7 OFFLINE   Teeda

Teeda

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 15-November 12

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

I did some google searching and even though it's confusing the heck out of me I am pretty sure my veins show up as like an olive green color. So I am guessing that means warm tones?

#Post 3 of 7 OFFLINE   MissLindaJean

MissLindaJean

Compulsive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,471 posts
  • Joined 19-April 12

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

You can always just hit up a makeup counter and have them match you up. I like Sephora, because they offer so many brands and you get a variety of options. If you're in store and trying testers, apply a dab to your neck/jawline and blend it in. I don't use the back of my hand much anymore...

#Post 4 of 7 OFFLINE   Teeda

Teeda

Trainee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Joined 15-November 12

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Thanks, they just opened a Sephora in my local mall about a year ago and I have yet to go in there. It intimidates me.

#Post 5 of 7 OFFLINE   sprite9034

sprite9034

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Joined 15-February 12

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Teeda View Post

Thanks, they just opened a Sephora in my local mall about a year ago and I have yet to go in there. It intimidates me.

I'm totally with you there- That's why I've never approached a MAC counter :)

If you're nervous, go in prepared! Kind of get an idea of what kind of foundation you're looking for (brand or even just what you want it to be doing for your skin)- That way when you're approached by a sales associate you'll know what to say.

The Sephora ladies are generally very helpful and nice. If they try to push something on you that you don't want to spend the money on, tell them you need a sample to think about it, or that you'd like to wear something for a day before deciding.

I'm a huge weenie about stuff like this, so if I can do it, you can do it :)

#Post 6 of 7 OFFLINE   Dalylah

Dalylah

Lacquer Lackey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,736 posts
  • Joined 08-July 09

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Teeda View Post

I don't suggest the MAC counter. Sephora is the place to go. They will help match you and find stuff. Just make sure you bring some cash because you will get sucked in (like we all do hehe).

#Post 7 of 7 OFFLINE   leo760

leo760

Novice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Joined 11-November 12

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

i just went to the Clinique counter yesterday and the lady matched me up perfectly! I got tired of wasting my money on the wrong ones. The lady was really nice and made me comfortable.  I ended up getting the Hydrating foundation in warm caramel. Since I have really dry skin. :