How do I know?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I feel like I am a teenager new to using make-up all over again. lol, but there is so much I am finding I had no clue about.

First of all, I have always just sort of guessed when it comes to my foundation/powder(I know I know). I never really knew there was a way to get close to my skin color on my face and tried my best to match it by doing the wrist or back of hand test with the foundation, that's probably not right either. :/

Anyway, my question is, now that I see you should go by your skin tones to figure out the right foundation...how do I figure out what "skin tone" my face is? I feel really stupid asking this and I'm sure I should be able to figure it out easier than this, but I am lost. I "think" my skin has yellow tones but I am not even really sure. HELP!

I did some google searching and even though it's confusing the heck out of me I am pretty sure my veins show up as like an olive green color. So I am guessing that means warm tones?

You can always just hit up a makeup counter and have them match you up. I like Sephora, because they offer so many brands and you get a variety of options. If you're in store and trying testers, apply a dab to your neck/jawline and blend it in. I don't use the back of my hand much anymore...

Thanks, they just opened a Sephora in my local mall about a year ago and I have yet to go in there. It intimidates me.
icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted by Teeda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks, they just opened a Sephora in my local mall about a year ago and I have yet to go in there. It intimidates me.
icon_redface.gif
I'm totally with you there- That's why I've never approached a MAC counter :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you're nervous, go in prepared! Kind of get an idea of what kind of foundation you're looking for (brand or even just what you want it to be doing for your skin)- That way when you're approached by a sales associate you'll know what to say.

The Sephora ladies are generally very helpful and nice. If they try to push something on you that you don't want to spend the money on, tell them you need a sample to think about it, or that you'd like to wear something for a day before deciding.

I'm a huge weenie about stuff like this, so if I can do it, you can do it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Teeda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

icon_redface.gif
I don't suggest the MAC counter. Sephora is the place to go. They will help match you and find stuff. Just make sure you bring some cash because you will get sucked in (like we all do hehe).

i just went to the Clinique counter yesterday and the lady matched me up perfectly! I got tired of wasting my money on the wrong ones. The lady was really nice and made me comfortable.  I ended up getting the Hydrating foundation in warm caramel. Since I have really dry skin. :

Latest posts

Back