L'Oreal buy Urban Decay?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I heard of the news this morning. I remember people were upset that Urban Decay initially decided to sell in China, but after a while, they pulled out & got their leaping bunny back. Now, they are being sold to L'Oreal. I think it is because they still want to be expanded (&perhaps into China), but having L'Oreal expand them instead for example this article states, "Being folded into a large global company such as L'Oréal would allow Urban Decay products to be sold globally, and through multiple channels." How do you feel about this?

For business reasons, it makes sense to see mergers on occasion. They have more access to resources, money, whatever.. I wonder if they're going to release a more budget friendly line or use L'Oreal to strictly expand their brand globally. They may sell in China, after all. Plus, don't forget that there is going to be major tax hikes for businesses in the US, come January 2013. So I'm not surprised to see some people(ie George Lucas)/companies sell or merge to forgo the added costs.

I think a lot of consumers are upset because UD has always been vegan and cruelty free while L'Oreal is not. Having said that I found this article about them and how they are going to be cruelty free in 2013. Too bad it took so long but at least they are making changes.

Saw all the posts on the UD Facebook page.  I don't know how I feel.  On one hand, I get that it's business and L'Oreal makes some nice stuff I hear.  On the other hand, I liked that UD wasn't owned by a big name and this makes me sad/concerned.

My biggest concern is that UD's quality changes - I really love their eye products especially. While I like supporting cruelty-free brands, it isn't a deal breaker for me personally.  But, it was good to see the article that Dalylah posted - that's a good sign!  

So, I guess we'll see.  If they change the 24/7 eye liner formula I will cry though.

Dalylah is right; L'Oreal owns quite a few high end companies known for quality and prestige. It seems from the article that L'Oreal wants to expand their portfolio and UD wants that global door to open and therefore be more profitable. Hopefully it's win-win for the companies and us consumers. So long as the funk factor and quality of UD stays intact, I'm good. Sounds like cruelty-free won't be an issue, either.. except for expansion into China.

The thing I find odd when reading posts (here and elsewhere) is that most of these women have products from L'Oreal or their owned brands and yet they are all putting a stink up about UD. Have anything from Maybelline, Essie, or Matrix? Guess what, you're already using their stuff.

It's not that I don't appreciate cruelty free products, of course I do. I would love it if all my cosmetics companies were environmentally and ethically responsible. Very few beauty junkies are completely cruelty free because they would have to toss half of their stash.

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The thing I find odd when reading posts (here and elsewhere) is that most of these women have products from L'Oreal or their owned brands and yet they are all putting a stink up about UD. Have anything from Maybelline, Essie, or Matrix? Guess what, you're already using their stuff.

It's not that I don't appreciate cruelty free products, of course I do. I would love it if all my cosmetics companies were environmentally and ethically responsible. Very few beauty junkies are completely cruelty free because they would have to toss half of their stash.
I agree - and I feel much better now reading your comments.  Urban Decay is, by far, my favorite brand - you should see my stash (it's awesome and embarrassing at the same time).  It's the one brand that really has drawn me in, and no idea why but I do love it.

Seeing that L'Oreal owns some other high-end brands (including some really high-end), I feel a little better.  But it's going to be brutal watching the mess that will happen on their Facebook page...

Originally Posted by LAtPoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif But it's going to be brutal watching the mess that will happen on their Facebook page...
LOL they have a fire to put out for sure.

Yes, FB brings out the worst sometimes. I say pick and choose your battles wisely or take that stance 100%. Why people nitpick one company, but don't look at their own stashes of mixed brands is beyond me. I'd prefer all brands go cruelty free, because it makes sense and is plausible. Eventually, that's where the beauty industry will go as a whole. Realistically, I don't make a stink because I know that certain products I love come from companies that don't guarantee that.. same as my clothing choices. I know there are sweatshops producing mass amounts of products for a penny on the dollar. Everyone knows that, but still buys their products.

I think the reason people get mad at UD while having other brands in their stash that aren't cruelty free is that it's ALWAYS been UD's stance to be cruelty free and it is something they've really promoted themselves on.

Originally Posted by Dalylah /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To me, it's not that I am using products from companies that are owned by companies that do animal testing. It's just how Urban Decay built up their ethics to say "no" to animal testing & then knowingly selling their company to a brand that does. How they would say, "We don't do animal testing, how could anyone?" & they go for a company that does.. That's just me though.

Originally Posted by xlisaa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To me, it's not that I am using products from companies that are owned by companies that do animal testing. It's just how Urban Decay built up their ethics to say "no" to animal testing & then knowingly selling their company to a brand that does. How they would say, "We don't do animal testing, how could anyone?" & they go for a company that does.. That's just me though.
I think it does help though, that L'Oreal is moving towards a cruelty free approach. A company as huge as that can't just decide overnight to convert to entirely cruelty free - logistically it just isn't possible. But if that's the road they're headed down, I applaud it! I also saw it pointed out by Temptalia that some brands already owned by L'Oreal are cruelty free, like Giorgio Armani and The Body Shop, so I'm sure UD will continue to be cruelty free themselves, and down the road so will L'Oreal. Everyone wins!

Unfortunately, I don't believe L'Oreal is truly trying to become cruelty-free. As the article states that decision was approved in 2003 and the major cosmetics companies have lobbied since that time for the start date to be pushed back for 10 years. Now they (L'Oreal included) are lobbying the European Union to once again push back the date of when this mandate goes into effect. 

As someone who tries to only use cruelty-free beauty products it's disheartening when a company who put so much emphasis on their cruelty-free status sells out to a company like L'Oreal. They have a huge following because they are cruelty-free. I think people are so upset because with the recent changes in cruelty-free products due to sales in China it's becoming harder and harder for vegans, animal lovers, etc. to find such products. I know I have replaced tons of products that I used to use because of their status change, and I was so happy with UD's decision to NOT sell in China. We all know they make amazing products, and I didn't want to stop buying them. Ugh, but I guess now I will not be repurchasing from them.

It's probably hard for others to really understand it, but for some it's a major issue (a deal breaker), and no they most likely don't have a "mixed stash" of products. I know I don't. 

Originally Posted by xlisaa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I understand this. Many people feel lied to because UD is selling to a company that is not cruelty free and then all but washing their hands of it.

The price to become cruelty free for any company is high because that would mean they would have to not sell in China since they require animal testing. The problem is that when push comes to shove a lot of them just see dollar signs and China has a huge market for cosmetics and beauty products.

First off if I don't make a lot of sense please forgive me I am on pain meds because I broke my wrist a couple of days ago. I posted a link to the brands that L'Oreal owns on the Urban Decay facebook page and of course it is catching hell. I'm going to give my opinion here and hope you guys don't tear me a new one for it. I don't think it is a bad idea that L'Oreal bought Urban Decay just because L'Oreal bought them doesn't mean that they will have to change their ways, views or products. L'Oreals' name is huge, I quite honestly own a lot of their brands, I have adored the L'Oreal brand for many years and always will. They have great quality products. Urban Decay has great products although most of them are just too pricey and come on you know the price is name related, that is one of the main reasons that I don't support high end makeup. I don't feel that beauty or things to make you feel more beautiful should have to cost you an arm and leg. In my opinion if you really want to do something to help protect animal rights then join a group and actively participate in it such as animals on death row or your local humane society or help to the push a law for animal abuse ! L'Oreal is trying to make a difference by going cruelty free because I'm sure they know as well as everyone else that the people prefer an animal safe product . Am I off key here or missing something else of importance?

Originally Posted by BlingAndbeautyS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it is a bad idea that L'Oreal bought Urban Decay just because L'Oreal bought them doesn't mean that they will have to change their ways, views or products. 
This is true, but some would argue that the proceeds will end up going to a company that does test on animals so it's basically like supporting it. I agree with you that UD's views and products will most likely stay the same, but I'm just not comfortable giving money ultimately to L'Oreal who do animal testing. That's just a personal choice... some are okay with it, some aren't.

I don't feel that beauty or things to make you feel more beautiful should have to cost you an arm and leg.
 and a lot of people don't feel it should cost an animal's life either that's why they are so upset.

This is true, but some would argue that the proceeds will end up going to a company that does test on animals so it's basically like supporting it. I agree with you that UD's views and products will most likely stay the same, but I'm just not comfortable giving money ultimately to L'Oreal who do animal testing. That's just a personal choice... some are okay with it, some aren't.  and a lot of people don't feel it should cost an animal's life either that's why they are so upset.
Me neither but when looking at the big picture I think all the hatred that popped up might be coming from something else. I think part of it might be because L'Oreal is a drugstore brand and some people are afraid of Urban Decay becoming a drugstore brand? I am from Wisconsin but I do talk to a lot people from outside of the US who wish on a daily basis that they could buy some products in their country and not have to worry about buying it off of lets say an eBay seller that hikes up the prices for international. A lot of the times I'm asked to buy something for one of these friends and they pay for the shipping and the cost of what it cost me so that they just don't have to deal with the price hikes. I can how Urban Decay lovers wouldn't want it to become a drugstore brand but it would be great if everyone could buy it .. as far as the China thing goes where they require animal testing that is just wrong and hopefully it doesn't go that far. I really do think that both companies are just trying to branch out though.

Me neither but when looking at the big picture I think all the hatred that popped up might be coming from something else. I think part of it might be because L'Oreal is a drugstore brand and some people are afraid of Urban Decay becoming a drugstore brand?

I am from Wisconsin but I do talk to a lot people from outside of the US who wish on a daily basis that they could buy some products in their country and not have to worry about buying it off of lets say an eBay seller that hikes up the prices for international. A lot of the times I'm asked to buy something for one of these friends and they pay for the shipping and the cost of what it cost me so that they just don't have to deal with the price hikes.

I can how Urban Decay lovers wouldn't want it to become a drugstore brand but it would be great if everyone could buy it .. as far as the China thing goes where they require animal testing that is just wrong and hopefully it doesn't go that far. I really do think that both companies are just trying to branch out though.
I don't know. I never understood why people do that on ebay...price hikes. I guess it just always comes down to money :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I really don't care if UD would become a drugstore brand. If they were able to keep up the quality of their products and sell it for a lower price, that's great as long as they would still keep their cruelty-free views. Seriously why wouldn't fans of the brand want to pay less for a similar product?

Back