December 2012 No-Buy/Low-Buy Thread!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello ladies, it's the start of another month! Let's do this thing. What are your no-buy/low-buy plans for the final month of 2012?   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ugh.. I'm admitting defeat already! I'm going to blow some money at Sephora to get my VIB for next year..but best wishes to you strong ladies!

I've already decided that I'm going to do a really, really intense low-buy. I'm going to be visiting family in a few weeks, and everyone is located around some excellent shopping places. So, instead of telling myself, "no! you can't have any of that awesome stuff!" I'll let myself have a little bit of that awesome stuff. I'm going to really think about stuff before I purchase, and hopefully I won't go shopping with any enablers. 

Probably going to aim to buy no makeup at all this month. With Christmas just around the corner, I'm bound to get a few pieces. Plus, I've got a few orders that are due to come in which should tie me over. Something about getting a package in the mail gets me all giddy, haha. Also starting to think about not buying much makeup for the first few months of the new year in preparation for my first IMATS in April. I think I've been doing great lately and with the momentum, I should have no problem with a no buy this month :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Good luck everyone. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :D

I am back here for the month since I did some crazy spending towards the end of last month. Sales got me good.... I know I can't do a no-buy so I'll be doing a low-buy with a $ limit and no more drugstore makeup since that tends to be the place I spend the most. Crazy how quickly $3-$5 adds up.

On the good side, stuff that i ordered online still hasn't come in yet, so that should be good enough to play around with for this month.

I will be on a low buy since my foundation is running out and I need a new one, but that will be the only thing I purchase this month (hopefully) :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've decided to not really restrict myself at all this month. I won't go crazy, but I'm not setting any goals. I'd like to attempt a no-buy (on make up only, or at least eyeshadow, not all beauty products) for the entirety of 2013, but that will probably go out the window by March lol.

I'm going to try and limit what I buy this month. Which is a huge lie because I still have to buy presents for some people, and then am going to blow money at Sephora because of the BI coupon + birthday gift but after that, no more! 
frown.gif
 I just had to move out of my apartment and like OMFG SO MUCH STUFF. I don't even know how I'm going to move this all to new york Q__Q

I went on a no buy back in March. I am so glad I did, not only have I discovered some still new in box forgotten beauties but the funds I shook loose allowed me to get some new toys.

One sits in the drive way (my dream truck) and the other is my iPad.   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Course, now I am going to be on a no buy for a REALLY long time but I'm ok with that. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I started my no buy on the 1st. I'm on a only necessity buy & I need to do this on a permanent basis. Instead of spending every last penny we have on makeup, anything extra will go in our savings account.

This is going to be hard but I can do it.

I'm planning on a no-buy through December 26.  I did pretty well in November, and at this point any holiday shopping I have left is donations to charities.  My birthday is in January, so I plan to wait til after Christmas, then splurge on some perfume.

Good luck, everyone!

So far so good! I went to the drugstore the other day and walked out with just benadryl(the purpose of my vist). I did look at the makeup section and even though there was an amazing sale going on for a limited time, I walked out with none of it.  
saythat.gif

So far I'm doing okay.

I did buy a Sephora fragrance sampler to get a free bottle of Prada Candy with my $20 VIB card (making a $60 bottle of perfume $30ish, plus a ton of sample perfumes and a bag, so I'd say I got the Candy for $25, which, IMO, is a steal.

I was going to buy these shoes, but Nordstrom didn't have them in my size. I tried on a regular pair of TOMS too, and decided I don't really like the way they look on me anyway.

w-silver-snow-leopard-classics-h-ho12.jpg

And I saw some black bearpaws at Nordstrom Rack that I wanted (and I need a new pair of shoes), but they were $60.. so I got them on Amazon for $40, even though they're ugly, I have a Target pair and they're so comfortable.

41eFKvGdkTL._SY395_.jpg

I'm done Christmas/birthday shopping so I won't be out shopping and getting tempted by sales, so I should be good. Still planning on sticking to my no-buy until May.

I'm doing awesome! I haven't bought anything - not even the Lippman polish for $6. I was tempted but I knew I would be disapointed w/ myself if I caved. How are the rest of you doing?

Originally Posted by Souly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm doing awesome! I haven't bought anything - not even the Lippman polish for $6. I was tempted but I knew I would be disapointed w/ myself if I caved. How are the rest of you doing?
Congrats! I still haven't bought anything this month. I almost caved and picked up a few L'oreal Infallible eyeshadows but I put them down because Christmas is just around the corner. Trying so hard not to get sucked into the holiday sets. I think I'll be able to make it a no buy this month, definitely becoming a habit.

Aaah, so I bought a Sephora Fragrance Sampler recently (redeemed the certificate for Prada Candy) as I allowed that in my no-buy and I just read the little booklet that came with it and tried the Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire sample and it smells so good!! I tried the Betsey Johnson Too Too Pretty too, and it also smells good, but not as good as the other one! I'm keeping all of the fruity samples and giving the rest (I think there were 3) as a part of a birthday gift for my sister. If they don't give me migraines, I might be tempted to add them to my birthday list for when I'm done with my no-buy.

I think from this point I'll try to go on a low-buy, because I know a no-buy probably won't happen for me.

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So far I'm doing okay.

I did buy a Sephora fragrance sampler to get a free bottle of Prada Candy with my $20 VIB card (making a $60 bottle of perfume $30ish, plus a ton of sample perfumes and a bag, so I'd say I got the Candy for $25, which, IMO, is a steal.

I was going to buy these shoes, but Nordstrom didn't have them in my size. I tried on a regular pair of TOMS too, and decided I don't really like the way they look on me anyway.

w-silver-snow-leopard-classics-h-ho12.jpg

And I saw some black bearpaws at Nordstrom Rack that I wanted (and I need a new pair of shoes), but they were $60.. so I got them on Amazon for $40, even though they're ugly, I have a Target pair and they're so comfortable.

41eFKvGdkTL._SY395_.jpg

I'm done Christmas/birthday shopping so I won't be out shopping and getting tempted by sales, so I should be good. Still planning on sticking to my no-buy until May.

Giiiirl, we all know those shoes are ugly. They feel like walking on a cloud though, so they are awesome! I love mine. Not the prettiest things, but so darn comfy and warm. 

I've started keeping track of my empties. Is it just me, or does it seem like when you're really trying to use something up, it takes forever to finish it?

I finally wore the BearPaws today. They are twice as comfy as the same style boots from Target. Now I wonder if Uggs are even more comfy! (but not wondering enough to fork out their price point)

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I finally wore the BearPaws today. They are twice as comfy as the same style boots from Target. Now I wonder if Uggs are even more comfy! (but not wondering enough to fork out their price point)
I hear ya! Uggs are crazy expensive. Bearpaw is too at full price, but they seem to be available at a heavily discounted price pretty frequently. I never understood those boots until I put them on. Now I love them. 

Latest posts

Back