DIY Moisturizing oil?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a bottle of Indie Lee The Moisturizing Oil however $34 for a 4 oz bottle is pricey even though the bottle will last a very long time. I was looking at the ingredients and was thinking it's relatively easy to make a DIY version but the measurements of the oil is something I don't have. Anyone have a DIY recipe for something similar? The ingredients in the Indie Lee The Moisturizing Oil is as follows:

Ingredients:

1. Simmondsia Chinensis (jojoba) Oil
  2. Prunus Armeniaca (apricot) Oil
  3. Essential Oils of Lavandula Angustifolia (lavender)
  4. Anthemis Nobilis (chamomile)

You know I looked all over for this and I just can't find the amounts. I know Jojoba is a carrier oil but I don't know how heavy apricot oil is. I am guessing it is one as well with different properties. Essential oils are always in small quantity because they are so strong. I guess you are going to have to play mad scientist. Let us know if you figure it out.

Ingredient are supposed to be in order by volume and I would assume the jojoba and apricot oils would be somewhat similiar amounts. As far as the essential oils are they are mainly for smell even though many have other good qualities. When I make soap the oil content is about the size of a tub of ice cream divided between various types (a gallon I guess) and the essential oil is about an ounce to one and a half to scent it all.

Originally Posted by wadedl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ingredient are supposed to be in order by volume and I would assume the jojoba and apricot oils would be somewhat similiar amounts. As far as the essential oils are they are mainly for smell even though many have other good qualities. When I make soap the oil content is about the size of a tub of ice cream divided between various types (a gallon I guess) and the essential oil is about an ounce to one and a half to scent it all.
That is incorrect, ingredients lists are ordered by weight with ingredients at 1% or less being listed in any order. It's always best to measure by weight, not volume, especially if you're making CP soap or else you can get a bad surprise someday. Plus, it makes scaling up or down so much easier.

I have yet to buy the ingredients to try this however I've been looking up recipes and some make just WAY too much DIY product. I'm going to try this based on a recipe I found at A1 Natural Beauty. Will it dupe Indie Lee? I don't know.

Ingredients:

1. Simmondsia Chinensis (jojoba) Oil - 2 tsp
  2. Prunus Armeniaca (apricot) Oil - 2 tsp (the recipe actually uses sweet almond oil)
  3. Essential Oils of Lavandula Angustifolia (lavender) - 5 drops
  4. Anthemis Nobilis (chamomile) - 3 to 5 drops

Original recipe:

• 2 tsp. aloe-vera oil
  • 2 tsp. jojoba oil
  • 2 tsp. sweet almond oil
  • 5 drops lavender essential oil
  • 5 drops neroli essential oil

Do the moisturizing oils really help with the winter dry facial skin? I've tried so many different creams and what not and nothing seems to help mine.

I think it's helping me but the problem I'm having is determining which product I've been using as working and what's not. I think I'm getting to the point where using so many creams and lotions has left me MORE confused than before so I think I want to return to a more natural approach such as using DIY products.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have yet to buy the ingredients to try this however I've been looking up recipes and some make just WAY too much DIY product. I'm going to try this based on a recipe I found at A1 Natural Beauty. Will it dupe Indie Lee? I don't know.

Ingredients:

1. Simmondsia Chinensis (jojoba) Oil - 2 tsp
  2. Prunus Armeniaca (apricot) Oil - 2 tsp (the recipe actually uses sweet almond oil)
  3. Essential Oils of Lavandula Angustifolia (lavender) - 5 drops
  4. Anthemis Nobilis (chamomile) - 3 to 5 drops

Original recipe:

• 2 tsp. aloe-vera oil
  • 2 tsp. jojoba oil
  • 2 tsp. sweet almond oil
  • 5 drops lavender essential oil
  • 5 drops neroli essential oil
If I were you I'd add a bit of vitamin E to prevent rancidity. Tocopherol or Tocopheryl Acetate are fine. Because there is no water phase in that recipe you can get away without using a preservative (though you can add one if you like. I'm fond of Jeecide Cap-5 which you can get at tkb because it plays nice with oil phases, is wide spectrum, paraben free and is not a formaldehyde donor. Not the cheapest stuff ever but you use it at between 0.5%-1.5% so cost becomes irrelevant at that point)

Originally Posted by BlingAndbeautyS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do the moisturizing oils really help with the winter dry facial skin? I've tried so many different creams and what not and nothing seems to help mine.
They do for me. I use a few drops of argan oil right after the shower and follow up with a moisturizer (oils are emollient, not hydrating so I still want some humectants on my skin).

I worry about using oils on my face and clogging pores. Has anyone found a good facial oil that does not clog their pores?

Latest posts

Back