Best Makeup Buys Of 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since 2012 is comming to a close, what are your best makeup buy/s for this year? What product/s are you happy that you heard, purchased, and wouldn't mind shouting from the rooftops about. Whoa! (Maybe not that far)

Mine has to be E.L.F gel eyeliner (they don't smudge, yay!) and Revlon Colorstay (I didn't believe the hype at first but I'm happy I bought it).  

What's yours?

Smashbox Master Class Palette (though the Ultimate something or other that they just came out with looks even more amazing...) is SO great :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I honestly use it every single day & love it. 

Also really love their 15 hr Studio foundation.

I also bit the bullet and bough the illamasqua blush which blew my mind in terms of staying power. & MUA blush in #6 is also amazing. 

Definitely my top 3 buys for this year haha, but I think I have a serious addiction with Smashbox now because I love everything I've tried from them :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

This year I have become a Tartelette.  I've loved everything that I've tried from them & use at least a couple of their products every day.  I had always passed them up before when I saw them in Sephora & now I have no idea why I did that. They have some truly fantastic products.

My personal favorite finds of the year are:

Tarte SmolderEyes in Gunmetal

Tarte 360Creaseless Eye Primer

Tarte Amazonian Clay Cream e/s in Slate

Korres Lip Butter in Jasmine

UD Naked Skin Foundation

Yes and yes! Naked2 palette, Dr. Jart BB cream, Eyeko Skinny liners. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> there's more, but that's what I remembered off the top of my head lol.

All my skincare products Ive bought have ruined my skin lmao, so Id have to say loreal voluminous million lashes, naked palette, and my vice palette. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Best Palette or Kit: Tarte "Carried Away Collectors Set" from Sephora

everything in this kit is nice from the shadows to the glosses, and, of course, the blush

Best Mascara: Blinc, Korres Volcanic Minerals and Tarina Tarintino

I like a more natural looking lash, all three of these are wonderful, but the Tarina is being discontinued at Sephora and is only $12 while supplies last. I have both types the faceted and regular, both are nice.

Blush: Korres Magic Light Face Contouring Power Trio in "MyKonos" and Chantecaille Cheek Shade in Winter Bloom

Both of these are really nice and natural looking (for fair skin)

Eyeliner: Clinique Brush on cream liner in Black Honey (I just got this and love it!) and Tarte emphasEYES amazonian clay waterproof liner (pot style liner) in black.

These products are exactly what liners should be, easy to apply, easy to smudge, long lasting and gorgeous.

Lips: Tarte Lipsurgence and Anastasia Hydraful Glosses, Sugar Lip treatments

Best Moisturizers: Angelina Organic Skincare "Youth in Bloom" line

Best Cleanser: Angelina Organic Skincare  Rose and Cardamon, Sunday Riley Ceramic Slip (expensive, but it does last a long time because the pump only dispenses a small amount, and that's all you need to clean your whole face and neck).

Best SPF for face: Ole Henriksen Protect the truth

Luminizer: Tarte Smooth Operator, just got this as a sample, but I like it a lot

Best Foundation Stick: Vapour Organic Beauty Atmosphere Luminous Foundation

Here's my list,

1. NYX long lip pencils - Beautiful colors and great price

2. Bobbi Brown's Natural Liquid Foundation

3. TooFaced Shadow Insurance (converted from UDPP)

4. Favorite Blush: Physicians Formula Powder Palette in Blushing Berry

5. Urban Decay's Travel Size eye liner sets

6. Milani's Pressed Powder Foundation

1. MUFE HD Foundation Starter Kit

2. MAC Stippling Brush

3. Stila 1 Step Bronzer (got in my Birchbox)

4. MAC Kabuki Brush

5. ELF Eyelashes (only $1 and they look AWESOME!!!!)

6. NARS American Dream Eyeshadow Pallet

7. Dior lipstick in Dior Addict

8. MAC lipstick in Viva Glam IV

10. Essie in Fiji

11. OPI  in Don't Pretzel My Buttons

Ahh, I really have to try Revlon Colorstay!

As for me I would say:

- Tarte Carried Away Kit: I absolutely LOVE everything about this kit, including the bag. 

- Benefit Ultra Plush Lip Gloss: Found my HG, everyday, sheer, non-sticky lip gloss.

- Nails Inc. Sprinkles Polish in "Sweets Away": Such a pain to take off, but SO unique! I've worn it so many times since purchasing it.

- Dior Addict Extreme Lipstick in "Incognito": My ideal nude.

- TheBalm FratBoy Blush: Such a flattering blush, I use this almost everyday. The only thing I dislike is the cardboard packaging, the product inside is wonderful. 

- Marcelle BB Cream: The perfect consistency and enough coverage for me.

- Essence Blush Brush: Probably the cheapest brush I have ever encountered, but it is soo soft, has the perfect shape for applying highlighter, and never sheds. 

Ladies, I'm loving your lists. I will be checking out some of these in the new year.

Oh, I should add DiorShow New look mascara. I thought I loved diorshow extase...but I just like it now, lol. 

Dior is on a lot of lists, I have not tried their items, I'll have to give them a look.

MUF HD foundation

MUF HD Powder

Benefit Hoola

Benefit Bella Bamba

Lorac Eyeshadow Primer

Mally Volumizing Mascara

Tarte Lipsurgence in Sweet

Sally Hansen Pacific Blue

UD Mariposa Palette 

UD 24/7 eyeliner for lower lash

Lorac Front of the line PRO eyeliner for upper lash

Benefit porefessional

Palette: LORAC - Pro Palette <--versatile matte/shimmer palette; I literally don't use anything else now, since I always stick to neutral colors.

Foundation: Clinique - Even Better liquid foundation <--doesn't really 'help' your actual skin, but it's moisturizing and has nice coverage. It's the only thing I can wear over sensitive areas w/o irritation.

Mascara: Tarte - Gifted <--one of the few mascaras that can actually hold a curl for more than half an hour on me; got it from Sephora's BF. Too Faced "Better Than False" is amazing on my sister, but it just doesn't work on my straighter, shorter lashes.

Primer - LORAC - Behind the Scenes primer <--first tried it in my lorac palette, then bought the $10 BF deal. 

Lip Balm/Gloss: Clinique - Almost Lipstick in Black Honey <--great, sheer dark berry color, very moisturizing/non-sticky

Brushes: Ecotools <--I originally had the 6-piece eye set, but I bought a bunch of face brushes during their Cyber Monday 50%; such a steal for the price!

Makeup Remover: Boscia - Purifying Cleansing Gel <--tried this from Sample Society; removes makeup in a snap, doesn't sting.

Still on the lookout for a good cream blush--I've heard Maybelline's Dream Bouncy blushes are good, so I might give them a try.

Lorac pro palette! I will forever be in love. I don't know what I'll do when it runs out.... Eyeko skinny liners bare minerals flawless definition volumizing mascara ( this is my holy grail. It gives amazing volume and doesn't smudge on my super oily skin) Origins checks and balances cleanser Nyx pencil eyeliners

My list:

Face washes: St. Ives gentle apricot scrub, Aveeno Smart Essentials Pore Purifying Facial Wash and Clean & Clear Advantage Oil Absorbing Cream Cleanser

Facial moisturizers: Neutrogena Rapid Tone Repair and Aveeno Positively Radiant

Primer: Boots No 7 Photofix

BB Cream: Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream

Foundation: Revlon Colorstay

Translucent powderRevlon Photoready

The face washes have really kept my acne at bay and my skin looking smooth.

The moisturizers have really helped lighten the dark acne scars I have, especially on my cheeks.

The primer makes my makeup last even more beautifully throughout the day.

The BB cream actually does help with most everything it claims (blurs imperfections, hydrates, evens skin tone, smooths etc).

The foundation is a perfect match for my skin tone, and it really does last all day, plus, the price is right!

The translucent powder ties everything together in perfect blended harmony and makes makeup look more natural.

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Palette: LORAC - Pro Palette <--versatile matte/shimmer palette; I literally don't use anything else now, since I always stick to neutral colors.

Foundation: Clinique - Even Better liquid foundation <--doesn't really 'help' your actual skin, but it's moisturizing and has nice coverage. It's the only thing I can wear over sensitive areas w/o irritation.

Mascara: Tarte - Gifted <--one of the few mascaras that can actually hold a curl for more than half an hour on me; got it from Sephora's BF. Too Faced "Better Than False" is amazing on my sister, but it just doesn't work on my straighter, shorter lashes.

Primer - LORAC - Behind the Scenes primer <--first tried it in my lorac palette, then bought the $10 BF deal. 

Lip Balm/Gloss: Clinique - Almost Lipstick in Black Honey <--great, sheer dark berry color, very moisturizing/non-sticky

Brushes: Ecotools <--I originally had the 6-piece eye set, but I bought a bunch of face brushes during their Cyber Monday 50%; such a steal for the price!

Makeup Remover: Boscia - Purifying Cleansing Gel <--tried this from Sample Society; removes makeup in a snap, doesn't sting.

Still on the lookout for a good cream blush--I've heard Maybelline's Dream Bouncy blushes are good, so I might give them a try.
I own several of the Bouncy Blushes, and I would skip them if I had it to do again.  The staying power is not great, though if you use a powder blush on top it's fine.  If you do buy any, get a darker color, like Hot Tamale or the plum one, because the lighter shades are not very pigmented (and that's saying something because I am pale).

Kat VonD Tattoo eyeliner is my must have item. Cover Girl Cheekers blush in Rose Silk (dupe for Nars Orgasm) Urban Decay eye primer in Eden.

Latest posts

Back