• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sephora & JCP Giftcard/Store Credit Question

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can:

1. Buy a Sephora giftcard in a JCP Sephora, using either a JCP giftcard or storecredit?
  2. Buy a Sephora giftcard using a sephora store credit?

I only ask because, I can buy JCP giftcards on cardpool for 22% off, and sephora store-credit cards for 10%. But I don't want to physically shop in either the JCP sephora or sephora stores bcs the online sephora deals and gifts are too good. And it seems like the sephora store-credit vouchers are only good in-store. 

I figure if I can use the store credit to buy an actual e-gift card, I can then use it online? Thoughts?

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do know JCP gift cards can be redeemed at the JCP Sephoras, but not sure about the others.
True - I've been able to do that, and it's worked out well...

I guess I'm just getting greedy (I want ALL the online perks/goodies that online orders get that store purchases don't), and lazy (I guess I can just walk into a Sephora and JCP and try it out. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't think so. The Sephora JCPENNY near me wouldn't even let me use my sephora store credit in their store. They said they only take their gift cards not store credit. I talked to a manager and they let me... I would just give it a try!

Went to a sephora today, and yes, you can buy a gift card (fully functional online) with store credit. Which leads me to another question...

When I bought the gift card (paying with store credit 'gift cards'), the sales associate gave me points for the gift card amount. When I spend the giftcard I just bought, will I get a second round of points?

Beauty Insider points can ONLY be added with a MERCHANDISE purchase. Gift card purchases DO NOT add points to your beauty bank. It's impossible, I work for corporate sephora and its a cardinal rule. I wish they did but they don't. If the sales person told u she did, she didn't check your account, she most likely was under false information. When you use your gift card to purchase products you'll most definitely get points for that purchase but gift cards are not merchandise, they are used to purchase merchandise and that's when you get the points. When we ask you for your rewards card it's so that we have a record and a paper trail of your gift card. It's in your best interest if you were to ever lose it or the if the person our purchasing for loses it or if its stolen. We don't ask you for it to give you points. We couldn't even if we wanted to, our systems are not set up that way. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by edenmonet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beauty Insider points can ONLY be added with a MERCHANDISE purchase. Gift card purchases DO NOT add points to your beauty bank. It's impossible, I work for corporate sephora and its a cardinal rule. I wish they did but they don't. If the sales person told u she did, she didn't check your account, she most likely was under false information. When you use your gift card to purchase products you'll most definitely get points for that purchase but gift cards are not merchandise, they are used to purchase merchandise and that's when you get the points. When we ask you for your rewards card it's so that we have a record and a paper trail of your gift card. It's in your best interest if you were to ever lose it or the if the person our purchasing for loses it or if its stolen. We don't ask you for it to give you points. We couldn't even if we wanted to, our systems are not set up that way. Hope this helps.
oooo - I think you're right. I just went into my online account and the point count hasn't changed...I guess the sales associate mis-spoke? she offered me the 500pt reward, and I'm glad I didn't take it then since I would not have had enough points to cover it. 

It's good to know that the gift card number is kept  in the system and trace-able to my account..that will come in handy since I have a tendency to lose things! 

You wouldn't happen to know whether JCP gift cards can be used to buy sephora gift cards inside a JCP would you?

I don't think so but I'm not sure. Maybe give JCP a call and see if they can answer that question for you. Typically, most companies don't allow you to buy a gc with a gc :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

oooo - I think you're right. I just went into my online account and the point count hasn't changed...I guess the sales associate mis-spoke? she offered me the 500pt reward, and I'm glad I didn't take it then since I would not have had enough points to cover it.  It's good to know that the gift card number is kept  in the system and trace-able to my account..that will come in handy since I have a tendency to lose things!  You wouldn't happen to know whether JCP gift cards can be used to buy sephora gift cards inside a JCP would you?
You cannot buy a regular sephora gift card (to use at the freestanding sephora stores) with a jcp gift card, because you can't buy a gc with a gc at all. If you do buy a sephora gift card at jcp (with your money), it is going to be a "sephora inside jcp" gift card, which means you can only use it at the sephora inside jcp, plus you can also buy merchandise in jcp, its not limited to just sephora's stuff in jcp. I've been there, done that lol My guess is you are trying to buy jcp gift card at a discount (on cardpool I assume), then use it to buy a regular sephora gift card to get stuff at the freestanding stores because the freestanding stores have more choices, brands, and bigger. Well I hope I can do that too lol. Just not how it works :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Regarding points, Gift cards in the retail world do not count as a sale for the store until its used to buy merch. If I sell a 50 dollar gift card I do not get credit for selling 50 dollars. If you got points from buying a gift card, you would get points twice. Once for buying the card and then once when you buy merch and pay with the card. So it just wouldn't make sense to do it that way. 

Originally Posted by lunadust /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Regarding points, Gift cards in the retail world do not count as a sale for the store until its used to buy merch. If I sell a 50 dollar gift card I do not get credit for selling 50 dollars. If you got points from buying a gift card, you would get points twice. Once for buying the card and then once when you buy merch and pay with the card. So it just wouldn't make sense to do it that way. 
Yeah, I was surprised when the sales associate read me my 'new point total,' as it sounded too good to be true that there would be points for buying a gift card. 

Quote: Originally Posted by hangthanhtran /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My guess is you are trying to buy jcp gift card at a discount (on cardpool I assume), then use it to buy a regular sephora gift card to get stuff at the freestanding stores because the freestanding stores have more choices, brands, and bigger. Well I hope I can do that too lol. Just not how it works 
smile.gif

You guessed it! I've been buying the Sephora gift cards for a while, and doing so not only forces me not to impulse buy at sephora, because I have to wait for the giftcard to get mailed to me, but it also saves me 10% off the face value. Just before Thanksgiving, cardpool had JCP gift cards for 28% off, and I got a few, and spent them at a JCP sephora.

But I think the JCP location that's closest to me had slightly older stock on some items (they were still selling the old Cover FX numbering scheme...), and of course it's limited selection too....and I actually live closer to a real, full-on sephora....and I would like to be able to use it online too :/ Guess I can't be too greedy though, it's already a pretty good deal.

Yeah, I was surprised when the sales associate read me my 'new point total,' as it sounded too good to be true that there would be points for buying a gift card.  You guessed it! I've been buying the Sephora gift cards for a while, and doing so not only forces me not to impulse buy at sephora, because I have to wait for the giftcard to get mailed to me, but it also saves me 10% off the face value. Just before Thanksgiving, cardpool had JCP gift cards for 28% off, and I got a few, and spent them at a JCP sephora. But I think the JCP location that's closest to me had slightly older stock on some items (they were still selling the old Cover FX numbering scheme...), and of course it's limited selection too....and I actually live closer to a real, full-on sephora....and I would like to be able to use it online too :/ Guess I can't be too greedy though, it's already a pretty good deal.
Cardpool sometimes has electronic gift cards that can be used online only, not in physical stores. You can get those at 10% off and use ebates to get 8% back when you make purchases online. Ebates is having double cash back right now. It's usually only 2 or 4% for sephora. And I could be wrong but I believe you get cash back (with ebates) even when you purchase with a gift card/gift cards. This way you have all the selections Sephora.com has to offer and still get the most possible discount. I have done all my holiday shopping at Sephora with my JCP gift cards. I'm quite happy with my SiJCP store near me. They don't have everything of course but they have my most 2 favorite brands which are MUF & Urban Decay, and many holiday gift sets.

Latest posts

Back