Brow Help for Thick and Dark Brows

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have what I call "Audrey Hepburn" eyebrows. I did not always like them (or know to make that connection ^_~). I used to be teased about them a lot. I started doing minor plucking when I was 19, but at that point it was just stray hairs. Now I do a bit more. I do minor shaping, mainly to make them match, and then clean up stray hairs. Anywho... you scroll to the end if you want to just see my questions ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Below is a photo. Not filled or really anything done with them. Today I cleaned them up more to what I usually like and what I am hoping to maintain:

(Note: this is without any make-up or really grooming, and I am having some redness issues, but oh well, I wanted to show what they look like with my whole face :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

I have tried filling them before, but they end up looking super dark. Here is an example that I did with a slanted eyeliner brush and a brown eyeshadow that seems to match my brow color):

I have tried pencils before and they seem to clump on my thick brow hairs. The color, by the way, is dark brown, although they look almost black in photos.

My general look is pretty natural many days I only wear BB cream and a bit of lip gloss maybe mascara, but I do model and I do events as well.

My Questions

1. What products (powders, gels, etc) would you generally recommend for someone with my type of eyebrows assuming I am keeping the same general shape? What tools would you recommend?

2. What products should I carry in order to do my brows on the run? Assuming I have them trimmed and shaped, what do I need to create the following three looks:

- natural

- natural looking but filled for photoshoots

- something just a bit more refined for events and some shoots

3. Is there a brow kit out there that would contain the products I need in a relatively small kit? I would really like it to contain brow gel and a color to match my brows, a separate spoolie would be great but I could add that in myself. I was looking at the one by Japonesque, but I am open to suggestions.

And a general question: Does any body else have brows like mine? What do you do with yours?

Personally I think people with nice full hairs like yours should not even bother to fill in their brows. If you want a more defined look, maybe using concealer around them can help them pop out and a spoolie to brush them into place. I hope this helps!

As someone who has like 5 eyebrow hairs, I love yours! You have so much to potentially work with. Those videos will help with shaping.

I prefer powder because I always screw up pencil and then can't get it off. I personally use Milani's Brow kit. It has 3 colors, an applicator, brush and tweezers. It's small enough to pop in your purse when you go places if you need touch-ups. I think it comes in three different shades for different brow tones.

For natural brows, don't fill in with a dark, vibrant color--you don't want to exactly match your brow hairs. I have black hair, but I wouldn't run a thick black kohl liner through my brows lol. Instead, I use something ashy and not super-pigmented (the Clinique brow shaper in 'charcoaled').

^ you can tell the brows are filled in, but it's really natural because the brow powder isn't pigmented, dark, or vibrant. It would look very thick/dark if she matched to her brow color.

Personally, I like the bold brow trend, but it's definitely a different look from a more subtle/natural everyday brow. The below image better demonstrates the difference:

-The one on the left matches the color of her actual brows. The powder on the right, while still dark and somewhat bold, is clearly lighter than her actual brows.

To hold brows in place, I'd recommend using a brow gel; to fill in brows, I'd recommend using a brow powder. I haven't used any other than the Clinique one, but I think it works pretty well. I've tried brow waxes, but they were a little too clumpy for my taste. Hope that helps!

Originally Posted by americanclassic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For natural brows, don't fill in with a dark, vibrant color--you don't want to exactly match your brow hairs. I have black hair, but I wouldn't run a thick black kohl liner through my brows lol. Instead, I use something ashy and not super-pigmented (the Clinique brow shaper in 'charcoaled').
Thank you! I have not thought about that, at least not to that degree. I might play around with a few eyeshadows I have to get an idea of what color I need.

I have the same eyebrows as you and I have always wanted them to be arched but im scared that I will be left with no brows lol

I love your eyebrows!!!! Please don't over tweeze them please. Try using a taupe or a blonde color powder or pencil, If you use pencil take your eye brow brush and scrape it over the lead of the pencil then brush on to the brows it will give you far more control.

Another trick is to use a Eberhard Faber Design Ebony jet black extra smooth # 6325 you can find this at the art supply it comes up more grey, the perfect grey!

I use this pencil on everyone from pale blondes to dark brunette's, it is always the perfect color.

Latest posts

Back