SquareHue: February 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. But. I don't think I can live with the excitement for two months of teasers! January had better hurry to my door

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not even January!
I bet they are trying to sell out of February before January even hits, lol. They have me pretty pumped and I have to wait until February.

They have to have some sort of appeal to get people to buy in for February, since they won't be receiving product for a while.

I am so excited for this teaser it's right up my allly:) and my birthday month it will be the best gift ever :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> yippeee when is the cut off for ordering on feb? It's pretty early in jan right or so?

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's not even January!
I know. I wanted to post it in case the girls wanted an idea of colors since January sold out so fast.

Originally Posted by DiorAdora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am so excited for this teaser it's right up my allly:) and my birthday month it will be the best gift ever
smile.gif
yippeee when is the cut off for ordering on feb? It's pretty early in jan right or so?
I'm not sure they have a real cutoff date, although once they get a better idea of how the new signups go each month, that may change.  From what I can figure out, they work off projections:  They look at the current month's subscription numbers, add a certain percent/number for new subscriptions, and they cut off new signups for the month when they hit that number.

I just signed up today for the February  box just in case anyone wants to know if they sold out. Can't wait for the February box !

Ok so I haven't considered square hue because I'm signed up to Julep and am unable to skip a month because they always have something I just NEED but can anyone tell me how comparably good square hue is? Is it worth the monthly fee? Is CS more akin to birchbox (good) or glossybox (terrible)? I have too many subs already but I just can't help being interested in this one.

Originally Posted by martianeskimo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so I haven't considered square hue because I'm signed up to Julep and am unable to skip a month because they always have something I just NEED but can anyone tell me how comparably good square hue is? Is it worth the monthly fee? Is CS more akin to birchbox (good) or glossybox (terrible)? I have too many subs already but I just can't help being interested in this one.
I prefer Square Hue to Julep.  The bottles are more aesthetically pleasing to me, much less tip-able (probably my biggest issue.  I rarely wear my Julep polishes largely because I'm afraid they're going to spill everywhere), and (not a big thing for me, but a major thing for other people) twice as big as Julep's bottles.  They've only had two boxes so far, but I've fallen in love with at least one color in each box (and since I got on board at the $15 special rate, that's enough for me to be able to accept this subscription cost even though I have no way of knowing what I'm getting before they send them out).  And SH just releases their shades for that month's boxes, so you either got them or not, whereas Julep uses the Maven boxes to launch the shades for their store, so you can always pick something up later.  And I also actually really appreciate that they just release three shades per month, not the eight or so that Julep does.  I feel like Square Hue is probably more able to focus on those three colors and the theme, not eight plus dividing them into five different profiles.  This is a really stripped down program, and I think that works for me better than having to choose.  I get overwhelmed by choice and end up picking nothing.

And Square Hue seems to do themed/seasonal collections where you don't have to squint to figure out how things tie together (I can pretty much never figure out how Julep's collections are supposed to tie together aside from the times they have special finishes, like suedes or glitters):  Santa Luxe (December) had metallic purple, metallic red, and a champagne foil, and all of these are colors I associate with Christmas/New Year's.  January's box was the Arctic Collection, and it had a medium steel-ish blue with holographic microglitter, a sort of medium sky blue, and a frosty top coat, and those are all colors/effects that make sense to me for winter.  February will be Vintage Love, so I'm really curious to see what they come up with for that.  I keep thinking Victorian Valentines for some reason.  I really like having themes for each month.

As for customer service, I can't address that, but I consider that to be a good thing:  I haven't had a single reason to contact them.  But I do know they watch Instagram because I see likes from the company itself as well as one of the owners on my pictures (and not necessarily on things that have anything to do with their company), so I feel like they would actually be available to address any issues that may arise.  I don't feel like Julep is that close to their customers since they have their store, salons, *and* the Maven program.  And some people might not like the fact that Square Hue sends out *just* the three shades per month (that is, no body stuff, no nail files, no Atomic Fireballs), but I actually prefer that.  And they send them out in neat little boxes that I can make labels for and put on my bookcase shelves for easy organization.  It makes my OCD *very* happy.

But.  One big drawback, if one of the things that you like about Julep is the color preview:  Square Hue does not do previews.  They will announce the theme, but you won't know the colors until the boxes arrive in subscribers' hands and those subscribers start posting about them, typically on Instagram.  And depending on when you sign up, you might/will probably be charged before the theme is announced, but that doesn't really help as far as deciding whether to skip based on color since even a theme doesn't give you specifics.  We can *guess*, but we don't *know*.

(And then there's the part where Square Hue sends a chunk of their proceeds to an organization fighting human trafficking.  That really helps me feel like they're just all-around decent people.  We're not going to see a nail polish collection themed around Ciudad Juarez and the maquiladoras unless the point is to make everyone aware of just how horrific that entire travesty is.)

Originally Posted by martianeskimo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The January box was my first one, and at first glance I thought the colors were just going to be meh, but they sent a baby blue creme, a glitter that can be worn alone or over the creme,and a metallic pale blue with a hint of holo that looks better on the nail than it does in the bottle. You get 3 full size bottles, whereas Julep's bottles are half the typical size bottle (I actually like Julep's bottle shape, but I am weird too *shrugs*), for the now price of $21, which is comparable to Julep's $19.99.

Square Hue is /just/ polish, whereas Julep is polish or polish + beauty item. When I emailed CS when I thought my box was taking too long to get to me, I filled out the form on the site late in the evening and early (for me) the next morning there was a response from CS. SO my experience w/ CS so far has been excellent.

Definitely try them out for a month. I didn't sign up for December because I wanted to hear feedback before signing up, but looking at what colors they sent, I kinda regret not signing up and taking my chances. They're also more of a true "mystery" on what you'll be receiving, but I love the fact that they have creative themes for the month and don't reveal the colors immediately.

Originally Posted by DiorAdora /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am so excited for this teaser it's right up my allly:) and my birthday month it will be the best gift ever
smile.gif
yippeee when is the cut off for ordering on feb? It's pretty early in jan right or so?
Same here!  My birthday is 02/12.  I can't wait to see what we get - January was my first and I LOVED it!

I prefer Square Hue to Julep.  The bottles are more aesthetically pleasing to me, much less tip-able (probably my biggest issue.  I rarely wear my Julep polishes largely because I'm afraid they're going to spill everywhere), and (not a big thing for me, but a major thing for other people) twice as big as Julep's bottles.  They've only had two boxes so far, but I've fallen in love with at least one color in each box (and since I got on board at the $15 special rate, that's enough for me to be able to accept this subscription cost even though I have no way of knowing what I'm getting before they send them out).  And SH just releases their shades for that month's boxes, so you either got them or not, whereas Julep uses the Maven boxes to launch the shades for their store, so you can always pick something up later.  And I also actually really appreciate that they just release three shades per month, not the eight or so that Julep does.  I feel like Square Hue is probably more able to focus on those three colors and the theme, not eight plus dividing them into five different profiles.  This is a really stripped down program, and I think that works for me better than having to choose.  I get overwhelmed by choice and end up picking nothing. And Square Hue seems to do themed/seasonal collections where you don't have to squint to figure out how things tie together (I can pretty much never figure out how Julep's collections are supposed to tie together aside from the times they have special finishes, like suedes or glitters):  Santa Luxe (December) had metallic purple, metallic red, and a champagne foil, and all of these are colors I associate with Christmas/New Year's.  January's box was the Arctic Collection, and it had a medium steel-ish blue with holographic microglitter, a sort of medium sky blue, and a frosty top coat, and those are all colors/effects that make sense to me for winter.  February will be Vintage Love, so I'm really curious to see what they come up with for that.  I keep thinking Victorian Valentines for some reason.  I really like having themes for each month. As for customer service, I can't address that, but I consider that to be a good thing:  I haven't had a single reason to contact them.  But I do know they watch Instagram because I see likes from the company itself as well as one of the owners on my pictures (and not necessarily on things that have anything to do with their company), so I feel like they would actually be available to address any issues that may arise.  I don't feel like Julep is that close to their customers since they have their store, salons, *and* the Maven program.  And some people might not like the fact that Square Hue sends out *just* the three shades per month (that is, no body stuff, no nail files, no Atomic Fireballs), but I actually prefer that.  And they send them out in neat little boxes that I can make labels for and put on my bookcase shelves for easy organization.  It makes my OCD *very* happy. But.  One big drawback, if one of the things that you like about Julep is the color preview:  Square Hue does not do previews.  They will announce the theme, but you won't know the colors until the boxes arrive in subscribers' hands and those subscribers start posting about them, typically on Instagram.  And depending on when you sign up, you might/will probably be charged before the theme is announced, but that doesn't really help as far as deciding whether to skip based on color since even a theme doesn't give you specifics.  We can *guess*, but we don't *know*. (And then there's the part where Square Hue sends a chunk of their proceeds to an organization fighting human trafficking.  That really helps me feel like they're just all-around decent people.  We're not going to see a nail polish collection themed around Ciudad Juarez and the maquiladoras unless the point is to make everyone aware of just how horrific that entire travesty is.)
Thank you so much for the info!!! I'm definitely more interested now that I know they donate to an organization fighting human trafficking. The only thing I'm worried about is the lack of choice, I really enjoy that from julep but it might be nice to get colors that I might've never picked out myself.

The January box was my first one, and at first glance I thought the colors were just going to be meh, but they sent a baby blue creme, a glitter that can be worn alone or over the creme,and a metallic pale blue with a hint of holo that looks better on the nail than it does in the bottle. You get 3 full size bottles, whereas Julep's bottles are half the typical size bottle (I actually like Julep's bottle shape, but I am weird too *shrugs*), for the now price of $21, which is comparable to Julep's $19.99. Square Hue is /just/ polish, whereas Julep is polish or polish + beauty item. When I emailed CS when I thought my box was taking too long to get to me, I filled out the form on the site late in the evening and early (for me) the next morning there was a response from CS. SO my experience w/ CS so far has been excellent. Definitely try them out for a month. I didn't sign up for December because I wanted to hear feedback before signing up, but looking at what colors they sent, I kinda regret not signing up and taking my chances. They're also more of a true "mystery" on what you'll be receiving, but I love the fact that they have creative themes for the month and don't reveal the colors immediately.
I do like the themes idea :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but It sucks that they don't do little extras. I think I will try it out for just a month to see if its my type of sub. I'll have that amount earmarked after I cancel my 'fancy box' (signed up, no box yet [though they do say they're shipped at the end of the month], emailed and got no response at all [5 days and counting], and just saw they're collaborating with Ashton Kutcher (sp?). That's enough for me go cancel.). I know this is OT but is there a fancy box thread on mut? Ok, tangent over. I'm going to try square hue for a month. Hopefully, it'll be awesome :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I dealt with SquareHue customer service for an issue I would rather not detail except to say that they are lovely, kind people. I deeply appreciate the fact that they are committed to giving back, and even the way that they spend the money to ship ground as USPS requires rather than ignoring the postal regulations like many vendors do. I am completely impressed with their entire operation and if I were forced to give up my beauty subs, this is the last one I would let go.

They posted this on their FB and tumblr so if you want in for Feb, make sure you sign up soon.
smile.gif

VintageLove Collection nearing sellout!
tumblr_inline_mh8sjwEXVP1qz4rgp.jpg

Hi friends!

Quick note to inform you that the VintageLove Collection seems well on its way to selling out (remember the Arctic Collection?). 

The VintageLove Collection is a limited run and once quantity hits zero… well, no backsies. Now is the time to tell your friends to sign up at squarehue.com if they have not already done so.

Best Regards from the HueCrew!

Back