IMATS LA 2013: J.Cat Beauty

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
J.Cat Beauty is owned by Victor, who is in his 18th year in cosmetics.  J.Cat Beauty is a brand new line, which just launched in October and were attending their very first trade show.

They feature affordable prices with items very similar to NYX.  (They have lip glosses, lip sticks, glitter creams, and jumbo lip and eye pencils) Zadi got a variety of their products, so she might be able to add some of her opinions on the quality.

I got a set of sticker nail strips I'll try out, which were being sold as a 3 for $10 show special.  Their nail strips are 3D -- They have jewels and other texturing to make them stand out from normal polish strips.  They have a gel eyeliner jar that's less than $6 and comes with a brush that fits in the cap.

They are extending their IMATS show specials by offering a 25% off sale from their entire site, jcatbeauty.com with the coupon code IMATS25 (valid through November 18, 2013, minimum purchase $10)

Victor was very kind in providing me with several items. I'm actually currently wearing at the time of this post the J.Cat Fantabulous Jar Eye Liner in JEL101 Jet Black. I was given two of their the Big Eye Pencil (a white and a black one) along with two of their Shimmer Powders, their Roll It Up Auto Eye Liner and the Perfect 3D Texture nail appliques.

Their jar eyeliner reminds me Cailyn's jar liner and the brush is built into the jar top. You can use the brush by itself or snap it backwards to have a longer brush. I don't like snapping it back into the top to have a longer brush because the balance feels off to me due to the weight. The brush itself isn't bad but I wish it was just a wee bit more tapered but that's a personal preference. The quality of the gel liner is pretty good after one coat, two coats is better to get a deep, dark black. Once dry it's pretty water resistant. I don't know if it's waterproof as the box states since I haven't tested it for that yet.

The BEP are similar to NYX Jumbo Pencils but not 100% identical. The BEP look a more shiny than NYX Jumbo Pencils, both are the same weight size but the length is a little different with the BEP being longer (the cap on the end is longer making it appear to be more). I already know people are going to compare the BEP to NYX and there's no doubt about it, BEP can dupe Jumbo Pencils but are less expensive.

The shimmer powders are also similar to NYX loose shadows but I haven't compared the two side-by-side yet. I will say J.Cat is almost twice the amount of product to NYX - J.Cat's shimmer powders are 0.11 oz while NYX is 0.06 oz - and essentially the same price.

I have not tried the auto eyeliner on my eye but I have played with it to do swatches and I'm going to have to be honest, I'm not crazy about it. It beautiful in the applicator (I picked Dodger Blue) but it's not as pigmented as I believe it could be. It's also more rigid than I thought it would be, I thought it was going to be more similar to either Mally's roll up liner or Stila's roll up liner which are softer and very pigmented. I think with a wee bit of reformulating it will be a killer liner. It could also be that once I apply it to my eye my initial thoughts on it will change, as I said I haven't used it on my eye yet. I need to let Victor know about this because I really do think that this could be better (more pigmented and slightly softer so it applies easier) but that's just my opinion.

As for the nail appliques - these can be applied to the finger or toes, I'm not sure if other brands if those can be applied to the toes or not. I'll be trying these out after I finish testing another product that I was suppose to review a month ago but had to get a new UV light to do. Any ways the one I picked was Starry Night and it's a black nail applique with hot pink on it. I'm kind of regretting not picking the zebra print since I've been into zebra print lately. LOL Oh well, next time.

They ARE looking for vloggers and bloggers so if you're interested in trying their products and you have a blog or Youtube channel you might want to contact them. They are a very new company so by getting in with them now you might be able to influence them with your opinions.

I received three lipsticks, two lip glazes, three shimmer powders, three nail polishes, and two boxes of nail strips to try. Really excited to see how they are!

Latest posts

Back